Hardware Does anyone know if the DS 1seg adapter that allows you to watch Japanese TV on your DS (DSテレビ) would work in the US?

Nicky P

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for information on 1seg and the software/1seg adapter for the Nintendo DS, DSテレビ. I saw a Japanese Youtube video about it and was fascinated by it. I think it would be really cool to own. Plus I could use the Japanese TV to help in my Japanese studies. But I haven't been able to find much information about it. I know the US doesnt use 1seg signals, but would they still transmit to America? (Even if it would be a super weak signal)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know much about it, but chances are the service has been discontinued. I used to live in Japan, and they have like 10-13 channels iirc unless you use satellite. the tv remote can interact with them as well like gameshows and stuff.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1seg uses standard radio wave broadcast frequencies, so reception is only possible in a range similar to things like radio stations or cellphone towers. Actually it uses UHF frequencies, so it would be right between those two examples in how far the signal travels. 1seg signals definitely don't reach the U.S. from Japan, except maybe under very unusual atmospheric conditions, known as DXing.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I think that 1seg should still be broadcasting, Wikipedia refers to it in the present tense and my 2015 mobile phone supports it, it definitely won't work in the USA though, TV signals just don't travel that far. My phone just flat out doesn't get anything at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if it is worth pondering the less then legally sound rebroadcasting options (both transmission concerns and general copyright) like we have seen for mobile phones, more conventional TV and more besides.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember hearing that 1seg is really only still broadcasted in Hokkaido and a few other places. Plus like said earlier, UHF signals do not normally travel far. They can travel far with atmospheric ducting but the signal would be too weak to pickup. Usually the only way contacts that far are made with ham radio digital modes and special antennas which the DS would not have. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/WA50-Standings/Distance-Records-11-September-2020.pdf

Nicky P

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it would be a cool thing to own, but if I bought it, the software wouldnt pick up any signals, making it useless. Got it. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My suggestion if you're the Japanese learning may be to listen to Japanese while you sleep. Don't know if it will work for you. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1