Homebrew Do you / would you watch videos on the DS?

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Amusing. It seems almost nobody uses the DS for watching stuff with... Then again, many here have alternatives, like PSP, laptop, zune, or whatever. I wonder how many have such alternatives outside of those replying. Then again, chances are - everybody, I mean, who DOESNT have a laptop or some other gadgety thingy nowadays?(besides me - who onyl got a laptop a year ago when his pc burned down).

Curious.

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
slenkar said:
I watched 'chariots of the gods' from *snip
and 'mysteries of the gods' with Bill Shatner

On what? Psp? DS? Ds with the super card or the iplayer one or DPG? or was it iphone, tablet or some other device?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried watching vids and movies for a while, but I just felt the DS really wasn't up to the task. Low framerates, annoying color banding and extreme conversion times kinda soured me on the whole idea. It works I guess, but not well enough to be used as a video player.....maybe if I had an SCDS2. If I bother at all, it's not to watch movies, only little short YT comedy vids.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess im in the minority, but ive used my ds a lot for watching movies and vids. Even more now that i have an XL with that awesome big ol' screen, and a DStwo that'll play .avi, so no more having to convert to dpg (though i sometimes do anyway to reduce file size, and dpgs video just looks better).

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
VatoLoco said:
I guess im in the minority, but ive used my ds a lot for watching movies and vids. Even more now that i have an XL with that awesome big ol' screen, and a DStwo that'll play .avi, so no more having to convert to dpg (though i sometimes do anyway to reduce file size, and dpgs video just looks better).

The DSTwo, what bitrate can it play comfortably without lags? DPG I think can go up to 450 without lags, which is kinda low. How far can DSTwo go, and with what resolution?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I know a place that has HEAPS of stuff, but i can't tell you what the site is
tongue.gif

And i used to watch a lot of DPGs

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, I do watch vids on the ds using the Supercard DSTWO. The iPlayer has a giant compatible amount of files, so its the bomb. No more conversion crap. I must say I was suprised by the quality. It isn't too bad to look at the screen, as it mostly fits well. I mostly watch anime.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Moonshell does a decent job in playing videos but the DS hardware really isn't designed for it. If you have an XL than it could work. I haven't got or used the DSTwo or iPlayer so I can't really vouch for for it works.

I've got a netbook, PSP and Creative Zen to watch videos on and all are far superior devices for media playback,

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
As with a lot of the replies on here I use the SCDS2 to watch AVI's. Every now and again I come across some stubborn AVI's that should work but don't (right frame size etc but just sticks on loading. Not sure why this happens) but I just run it through format factory and the AVi's are viewable again.

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VA says: I screwed up the snipping, so wound up trashing the whole post instead.
It was all about moonbooks, anyway.

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Cool. There;s a project going on at www.portabl3m3dia.com, re-encoding for now animes for the DS, DPG4 format, HQ releases, it's onyl starting now, would be nice to get some feedback on it.

Anyway, thanks.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I've watched a few things on my DS/DSi but really, it really can't handle a decent framerate I've yet to try iPlayer for my DSTWO but I prefer just converting an entire series of something overnight for my iPod that then does me for a month or so.

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Pi said:
I've watched a few things on my DS/DSi but really, it really can't handle a decent framerate I've yet to try iPlayer for my DSTWO but I prefer just converting an entire series of something overnight for my iPod that then does me for a month or so.

If you are talking about lags, no worries, It's been handled. The bitrate of audio and video were calculated and then checked to provide no lags, with 24fps.

Give it a go
smile.gif

DiTi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jalaneme said:
hell no, i have a ipod touch for anything media related, the ds couldn't play a media file even if it tried.

Moonshell... DPG... Lots on the net. When one searches hard
smile.gif
. Especially anime and movies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work