Do you prefer to mod new, or old consoles?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by StrayGuitarist, Jun 16, 2019.

?
  1. Brand-new stuff is the best to tinker with!

16.0%
  2. There's still so much potential in those older systems..!

84.0%
  1. StrayGuitarist
    OP

StrayGuitarist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Personally, for me, I prefer to mod older consoles-- something about hacking a current-gen system just feels weird to me. Plus, once a system is a bit older, you don't have to worry about getting banned from online services, or bricked from an update. Anyways, I was curious about y'alls opinion!

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Newer, especially in the case of something like the Switch. Older systems have huge performance walls, and while the Switch certainly hits a performance wall for homebrew at some point, what the Switch has in feature set outclasses something I could do with PC gaming at a third of the cost (referring to the price of the GPD WIN 2 on that one).

3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    I don´t like the "new" one.:(

The "age limit" up is actual Wii/DSi XL/PSP 2000.
    Down there is no limit.:D

Ryccardo and StrayGuitarist like this.
  4. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Depends on the mod. If it’s physical, I’m prone to shy away. If it’s a software hack, I’ll read everything multiple times, then try it.

5. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    consoles like the nintendo switch are risky to hack. And current gen sony and microsoft consoles require too much steps and time, and sometimes hardmods

6. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    This remembers me on the first Flipnote/TWLoader install on the DSi last year.I read the guide over and over,each step many times before doing it and the whole process needs an hour.:)
    THAT is the fun of hacking/modding.:yay:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

For the XBOX (the FIRST one) to do a BIOS (TSop) flash it is required to tear apart the console and connect the one/two soldering points on the Mainboard.But THAT is fun.:yay:

zxr750j and slaphappygamer like this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For commercial games?
    If it has games I care to play, or can hack to be worth playing then I don't care. In terms of commercial game libraries I am really struggling with current generations of systems -- I had one of the best times I ever had in gaming with the 360 and PC of the day but a far as modern PC, PS4 and xbone go there is not a lot to compel me, this despite still enjoying the 360 era stuff and older things to this day.

Outside of sacrifice a machine to the cause mods for research (part of which usually sees them damaged beyond meaningful repair) then nothing I have ever seen has been beyond my skills to mod, though sometimes beyond my bank account. I like playing with my soldering gear but don't need it or feel it special. Whether I will go in for a hardware approach depends entirely upon what it will gain me.

For homebrew?
    If at the time it had some notable amount of power. Today this is less useful as power is less useful and screens that can take common inputs, controllers that use common inputs and variously open devices exist.
    Power is not the be all here so if the device has some notable type of input, some quirk that makes certain things easier to handle (not common nowadays as raw CPU/GPU power can sort most issues that things like scrolling hardware would have before) or something along those lines applied to it I would have a look. This also seems somewhat lacking though.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    WhyNotBoth?.gif

I have no preference, I just like modding all my consoles.

Armadillo and Silent_Gunner like this.
  9. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    I FOUND the main purpose of most people who mod consoles are for free GAMES/ROMS, a PC can do everythings with less restrictions and more accessibility for everyone, and honestly I bought consoles only for exclusive games, nowdays modding lastgen has lost it's meaning if we have to ban ourselves from all online function, imo is also the most fun part of modern consoles.

alexander1970 likes this.
  10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Come to think of it, I only really modded then-current new consoles and handhelds.

Nonetheless, I voted older. Current gen, and a large part of last gen, isn't what really draws me. The AAA games are all sequels and reboots with halteplaats I've already experienced, and indies can be bought on pc for so cheap that the incentive to hack/mod is gone (okay, and these days I've got more money than time, so jumping through hoops is something I can no longer be bothered with).

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Going by the "my console is worthless" posts during the 360 days following DVD modding banwaves I am guessing it has been that way for a while, longer if we want to go back to the original xbox and see people do the boot into normal dash stuff and what went there. Those two were however two of the best systems in history for modding.

I similarly also watched a video the other day wherein someone asked people why they no longer play as many games. Time and time again the result seemed to be "online just got to be no fun".

Now it could be that online is the only thing modern games have to offer. Would explain a few things for me (I still like games, still have a great time to this day when I bust out the gamecube, xbox or 360) and would be a sad indictment of the state of games -- for all the "single player is dead... and then we got skyrim" stuff the broad trend could still have been that online and microtransactions is the future. The only question then becomes when will the party hard lifestyle take its toll?

12. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Both, I like the homebrew scenes. With modern consoles there’s always something interesting. Likewise with my old systems, most of them have very active scenes, with people releasing completely new games, ports, technical demonstrations and all sorts of interesting things we never thought possible.....

..... For instance, check out Neutron, by Sarah Jane Avory. It’s a free download for Commodore 64, but if anyone enjoys her games, I urge you to support her.

Last edited by Stwert, Jun 18, 2019
    StrayGuitarist and Tarmfot like this.
  13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I hacked my first few 3DS systems using the long and dangerous method with that 2.1.0 downgrade method to dump the otp.bin. That was some scary shit, potentially bricking a brand new $200 system.

Flame likes this.
  14. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    i like to mod new and old.

love it when an old console gets a new hack which it didn't before. like the DSi

try to keep my current gen consoles on low firmware as possible in case of a new hack.

15. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    There is no console that I modded more on a hardware or software level than the OG Xbox. Dang I made that thing sing and it was so much fun working on the original exploits back in the day as well as the myriad of hardware mods like 128MB ram, dual switchable TSOP, shaved case, integrated Wifi etc..

These days I just like things to work, am not interested in piracy and most mods are just too much faff for too little interesting stuff beyond warez, hence my interest in the Shield

Last edited by replicashooter, Jun 19, 2019
    StrayGuitarist and CORE like this.
  16. StrayGuitarist
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    I mainly mod my consoles for running backups, and in the case of the Wii and DSi, restoring online functionality, and the original Xbox is one I've spent LOTS of time with. Not so much tricking it out like that, but certainly burning games to discs, and running lots of homebrew titles, particularly DoomX and that Streets of Rage thing too.

Ooh, me too. I bought a DSi a few days after Memory Pit was unveiled, and it works like a charm. Now that it's super easy, I had no excuse but to install Twiilightmenu++ and toss a handful of ROMs on there. I've been playing a bit too much Puzzle League and New Super Mario Bros...

Ryccardo and Flame like this.
  17. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008

i mean i had a hack on my DSi, but it was a niche hack. with the release of the Memory Pit it became available for more people.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  18. StrayGuitarist
    OP

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    Ahh, I see. I never owned one, I had a DS Lite up to the 3DS' release, when I bought one of those not long after the announcement of Pokemon X and Y, so my first exposure to them (Aside from messing around with friends' consoles) has been modding, and playing with the one I've got now.

Flame likes this.
  19. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    Germany
    Both.

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Old or new, couldn't care less.
    If something needs repairing or modding, I'll do it.

21. rickwj324

rickwj324 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    The first system I modded was the original Xbox and have been doing systems ever since. Xbox, PSP, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii-U, Switch, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, 3DS, etc, etc. I own and have done them all. The only system to come out that I haven't modded is the Xbox One (I don't plan on owning one).
    Out of all the mods I've done, I have to say that the PS3 and Wii-U have to be my favorite systems. Such a wealth of great games (PS3 plays PS, PS2, PS3, and retro games. Wii-U plays Gamecube, Wii, and Wii-U games)....I'll take those two systems over current gen systems any day!
    I did remove the PS4 mod a while back and updgraded the system. I wasn't willing to keep the system on lower firmware just to play "backup" and then not be able to enjoy games like Spider-man, etc. Perhaps one day the PS4 will become an open system like the PS3 but I'm perfectly fine with leaving the modding off of that system.

Last edited by rickwj324, Jun 20, 2019