Developpement forums ?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by corenting, Apr 24, 2012.

Apr 24, 2012

Developpement forums ? by corenting at 9:15 PM (767 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. corenting
    OP

Member corenting Insert random cool title here

France
    Hello,

I think that actually it's not really good to mix homebrew discussions, releases... with developpement questions.
    So what about having a subforum in "Emulation and Homebrew" forum of each console (Wii,DS...) where developpers could talk about libraries, coding, discuting projects before releases... It will make the forums clearer and developper will be able to talk more easily.

2. Anon10W1z

Member Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I like that idea.

3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Maybe so also include making it only available to recognized developers on GBATemp. Similar to the Staff only forum.

4. Anon10W1z

United States
    There is a staff-only forum? Where? Where?

5. Hyro-Sama

Japan
    I'm just assuming. Usually forums have a staff only section.

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    more bloated*

7. Anon10W1z

United States
    In GBAtemp TV forum, only staff can upload videos.

8. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    I kind of like the idea myself. However, having a different section would probably be overkill; I don't think there are that many people around here who need to ask dev questions, so putting them all in one place would probably make more sense.

I don't think that would be a good idea though, as it would mean it would be blocked from people who want to learn, which would make no sense as they'd be the intended audience of such a section.
    Not to mention the fact that if people aren't interested they can just, well, not go there.

I'll admit though that I'm not sure there are enough people to populate such a section.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hyro-Sama

Japan
    Ever heard of the Tutorials & Guides section?

10. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    Yeah, I have. It's a place with tutorials and guides. It wasn't made for people to ask questions (not unless they're about a specific guide at least).
    Besides, what would hiding the answers to questions others might also have accomplish ?

11. Hyro-Sama

Japan
    There's also the Ask! GBATemp section. Moreover, other resources exist in which if someone wanted to be a homebrew developer then they would put in the effort to teach themselves.

12. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

What about hackers? That'd count too, right?

I wouldn't mind this. I am getting started in learning some code, and eventually, I will be doing Wii/DS development soon.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    A development forum only available to recognized developers... that's a catch-22. No new members?

14. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I would be fine with giving a space to developers for talks, but what prevents you from already posting in the Homebrew sections in each system?
    that's what it's meant for already... I don't see the need to create another subdivision

1 person likes this.
  15. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    If there was to be a development specific forum, why should it be hidden from the community? At the very least it should be a post-restricted visible forum that others can view so that it can help them with their development. And then if developers outside of those recognized have trouble with something directly related to a post in one of those threads, why should they have to ask it in a completely isolated space such as Ask GBAtemp? We all know it doesn't have as much traffic as the main forums, and the relevant developers would have to go out of their way to monitor the Ask GBAtemp section of the site to answer questions instead of having relevant questions appear right where they're discussing it.

Just doesn't seem like a positive move.

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    And then there's my concern, what about new developers to the forum? There's a dedicated forum for something yet you can't post in it in order to... gain the ability to post in it? "Well they could release a few works first" - There's tons of hackers out there that have contributed to works without making any single projects themselves.

I do not agree with limiting the post ability. That drives off new people.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    The homebrew section of each forums are already a good place to talk about development, not only the releases.

It's often talked in the release topic, when a user is reporting bugs for example, or provide a patch, etc.
    We can't forbid users to talk about it in a release topic.

Creating a new sub-forum in each sections is not a good idea in my opinion, I think one global forum is a better solution (if it ever become a reality).
    Not limited to consoles either.
    It can be a place where users ask about PHP, C++, phone apps, homebrew, etc.
    Common development and knowledge.

And of course, not limited to developers only, all users have rights to learn.

1 person likes this.
  18. corenting
    OP

Member corenting Insert random cool title here

France
    Yes just one forum is a better idea, there isn't much developpers and we will be able to talk about general dev things like IDE softwares, programming languages as Cyan said .But I agree on the fact that it must be open to all.

19. Anon10W1z

United States
    The dev forum is a good idea because if there wasn't one thousand's of n00bs browsing a thread could shout at the computer "What the-" because they don't understand the devs talking.