OP
Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I think that actually it's not really good to mix homebrew discussions, releases... with developpement questions.
So what about having a subforum in "Emulation and Homebrew" forum of each console (Wii,DS...) where developpers could talk about libraries, coding, discuting projects before releases... It will make the forums clearer and developper will be able to talk more easily.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I think that actually it's not really good to mix homebrew discussions, releases... with developpement questions.
So what about having a subforum in "Emulation and Homebrew" forum of each console (Wii,DS...) where developpers could talk about libraries, coding, discuting projects before releases... It will make the forums clearer and developper will be able to talk more easily.
I like that idea.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I kind of like the idea myself. However, having a different section would probably be overkill; I don't think there are that many people around here who need to ask dev questions, so putting them all in one place would probably make more sense.

Maybe so also include making it only available to recognized developers on GBATemp. Similar to the Staff only forum.
I don't think that would be a good idea though, as it would mean it would be blocked from people who want to learn, which would make no sense as they'd be the intended audience of such a section.
Not to mention the fact that if people aren't interested they can just, well, not go there.

I'll admit though that I'm not sure there are enough people to populate such a section.

Reactions: 1 person

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that would be a good idea though, as it would mean it would be blocked from people who want to learn, which would make no sense as they'd be the intended audience of such a section.

Ever heard of the Tutorials & Guides section?
Yeah, I have. It's a place with tutorials and guides. It wasn't made for people to ask questions (not unless they're about a specific guide at least).
Besides, what would hiding the answers to questions others might also have accomplish ?

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

Yeah, I have. It's a place with tutorials and guides. It wasn't made for people to ask questions (not unless they're about a specific guide at least).
Besides, what would hiding the answers to questions others might also have accomplish ?

There's also the Ask! GBATemp section. Moreover, other resources exist in which if someone wanted to be a homebrew developer then they would put in the effort to teach themselves.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Maybe so also include making it only available to recognized developers on GBATemp. Similar to the Staff only forum.
What about hackers? That'd count too, right?

I wouldn't mind this. I am getting started in learning some code, and eventually, I will be doing Wii/DS development soon.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I would be fine with giving a space to developers for talks, but what prevents you from already posting in the Homebrew sections in each system?
that's what it's meant for already... I don't see the need to create another subdivision

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's also the Ask! GBATemp section. Moreover, other resources exist in which if someone wanted to be a homebrew developer then they would put in the effort to teach themselves.
If there was to be a development specific forum, why should it be hidden from the community? At the very least it should be a post-restricted visible forum that others can view so that it can help them with their development. And then if developers outside of those recognized have trouble with something directly related to a post in one of those threads, why should they have to ask it in a completely isolated space such as Ask GBAtemp? We all know it doesn't have as much traffic as the main forums, and the relevant developers would have to go out of their way to monitor the Ask GBAtemp section of the site to answer questions instead of having relevant questions appear right where they're discussing it.

Just doesn't seem like a positive move.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
And then there's my concern, what about new developers to the forum? There's a dedicated forum for something yet you can't post in it in order to... gain the ability to post in it? "Well they could release a few works first" - There's tons of hackers out there that have contributed to works without making any single projects themselves.

I do not agree with limiting the post ability. That drives off new people.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The homebrew section of each forums are already a good place to talk about development, not only the releases.

It's often talked in the release topic, when a user is reporting bugs for example, or provide a patch, etc.
We can't forbid users to talk about it in a release topic.

Creating a new sub-forum in each sections is not a good idea in my opinion, I think one global forum is a better solution (if it ever become a reality).
Not limited to consoles either.
It can be a place where users ask about PHP, C++, phone apps, homebrew, etc.
Common development and knowledge.

And of course, not limited to developers only, all users have rights to learn.

corenting

OP
Trophies
Website
www.corenting.fr
XP
Country
France
I kind of like the idea myself. However, having a different section would probably be overkill; I don't think there are that many people around here who need to ask dev questions, so putting them all in one place would probably make more sense.
Not to mention the fact that if people aren't interested they can just, well, not go there.

I'll admit though that I'm not sure there are enough people to populate such a section.

Yes just one forum is a better idea, there isn't much developpers and we will be able to talk about general dev things like IDE softwares, programming languages as Cyan said .But I agree on the fact that it must be open to all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...