[DEBUNKED] Nintendo NX will use android OS?

Android_robot.svg.png

According to an article on Japanese website Nikkei, Nintendo's next console codenamed 'NX' will use an android operating system. A reason cited for this decision is the fact that the WiiU isn't compatible with other consoles making it harder for third party developers to put their titles onto the system. Then there is also the announcement from earlier this year that Nintendo will start developing smartphone games will somehow link into the new system.

:arrow:Source

Reactions: nxwing

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
intentionally misunderstanding what I said so you could take a swipe at nintendo
Really? Posting the truth is me "taking a swipe at Nintendo"? LOL.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hacked from the beginning which is what android is
Ah, so just like how Wii U got hacked one month after release? Got it.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
All these posts about how Android is hacked, when both the Nintendo 3DS and WiiU have been hacked.

You're not going to win a fight against piracy and / or hackers. People will ALWAYS find a way around whatever security you input.

The smart way is to embrace piracy and offer a REASON for people to buy your game, rather than to pirate it. Look at it this way: You can pirate CS:GO. But unless you actually BUY it, have fun playing against bots.

Insert a good enough reason to go online in your game. Or find another way around it. But headbutting piracy is a lost battle as it has been proven time and time again.

Personally, I think Android would be the best OS for this. The freedom, options, multimedia it brings, from the ability to play on your TV screen to being able to let you use whatever Gamepad you desire and every other goodness Android brings with it.

But if Nintendo wants to keep pressing the same "Fail" button, then go right ahead.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All these posts about how Android is hacked, when both the Nintendo 3DS and WiiU have been hacked.

You're not going to win a fight against piracy and / or hackers. People will ALWAYS find a way around whatever security you input.

The smart way is to embrace piracy and offer a REASON for people to buy your game, rather than to pirate it. Look at it this way: You can pirate CS:GO. But unless you actually BUY it, have fun playing against bots.

Insert a good enough reason to go online in your game. Or find another way around it. But headbutting piracy is a lost battle as it has been proven time and time again.

Personally, I think Android would be the best OS for this. The freedom, options, multimedia it brings, from the ability to play on your TV screen to being able to let you use whatever Gamepad you desire and every other goodness Android brings with it.

But if Nintendo wants to keep pressing the same "Fail" button, then go right ahead.
I agree. Just look at the OUYA kicking PS4's ass, it's insane, Android is the way to go! Oh wait, no it isn't - modern hardware and low footprint OS'es with short API's and support for industry standard technology is, my bad.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Posting the truth is me "taking a swipe at Nintendo"? LOL.

It's taking a swipe when you hijack a point just so you can state "lol they're not as profitable as the other companies". You equated fun with profitability, which is...very weird.

I agree. Just look at the OUYA kicking PS4's ass, it's insane, Android is the way to go! Oh wait, no it isn't - modern hardware and low footprint OS'es with short API's and support for industry standard technology is, my bad.

This. Besides, Nintendo doesn't want everyone on their console, they want a very curated experience. They just need to make it easy to port things to their OS by supporting and promoting industry standards, not by just using the same OS as cellphones and tablets.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So if Nintendo creates an Android powered console with their awesome games in tow, it'll do as bad as Ouya? Got it.

D

Deleted User

The first time I saw this thread I thought it was total bs.
I mean, Nintendo at least tries to protect their consoles in some way, so using Android just seems kinda... odd.

Reactions: Margen67

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I certainly agree with most of your posts Foxi.

But not only are you comparing two systems on completely different levels regarding performance, you're also comparing a 20 year old brand (Sony's Playstation), a multinational giant company, and worlwide known gaming device franchise, with 3 predecessors, against a system released in 2013. The thing is not even 3 years old yet, nor has it had any other successors.

You're also comparing Android gaming (again, in its infancy), against a decades old, phisically established gaming market.

Maybe comparing OUYA 4 (if there will be one) to the PS4 will make more sense.

And finally, this isn't about Sony. This is about Nintendo. I think adopting Android would not only be a big innovation for a gaming giant, but also a step forward, and maybe quite profitable for Nintendo.

I don't think Sony needs any of that, Sony is doing well on its own. Aside from the Vita at least...

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's taking a swipe when you hijack a point just so you can state "lol they're not as profitable as the other companies". You equated fun with profitability, which is...very weird.

Portability on the Wii U is not an issue, one word UNITY.
wiiu-developers.nintendo.com

This. Besides, Nintendo doesn't want everyone on their console, they want a very curated experience. They just need to make it easy to port things to their OS by supporting and promoting industry standards, not by just using the same OS as cellphones and tablets.

sneef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android is not all sunshine, I don't get why some of you are excited about this. If you love Android so much, kiss shortened API's and high performance goodbye because here comes a bloated monstrosity that preloads everything wasting precious RAM, runs code almost exclusively through a virtual machine wasting resources in the process, only implements *mobile* versions of engines and for good reasons - it uses mostly interpreted languages like C# and Java, all of which are garbage. Android is a great mobile OS specifically because it abstracts everything so it can run on just about anything - this is an advantage when running on multiple varied platforms and a drawback when running on a standardized machine. Android would be a terrible choice for a console - it always was and always will be. A console should run an OS as barebones as humanly possible to tap into the raw hardware potential without all the peripheral bullshit in the way, Android is the opposite of that, it's not fit for purpose.

I was thinking the same thing... android has been built, layer upon layer, with the goal of functioning properly across a very broad range of chipsets/peripherals/displays... and it's true that it handles memory allocation very differently than what you would want on a dedicated gaming machine, where as little overhead as possible helps to make use of the hardware's strengths.

If they make a machine that has any android tie-in, it'll be either shell that certain functions reside in, and perhaps users can install standard android fare (doubt it though), or it will simply be android compatible, meaning it would be able to run android apps either with api hooks or some type of compatibility layer like WINE...

i typed this over 24 hours ago an apparently fell asleep before finishing or posting it.. hope it's still relevant, i haven't reviewed recent posts.

Reactions: Foxi4

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like debunked rumors have never turned out to be true and just lied about to get people off the trail...

Android is a very powerful OS that can get the most out of whatever hardware in the device can do as long as the drivers are done right. Also to whomever says the Big N would have to pay the Big G to use it; it is an open source platform which means it is free to use.

Regarding the easy hacking that many are conjecturing: All they need to do is bury the bootloader in the CPU/APU and have it check for alterations to the system partition and refuse to boot or restore good copies of the system files. If nothing could be sideloaded and the memory was encrypted well then it wouldn't be any easier than finding exploits for current gen game systems (and probably more secure than Nintendo's current systems).

Now that I think about it I hope they go a less secure route...

On a side-note I hope it is a console/handheld which would fit in the whole "bridging the gap" message that Nintendo was eluding to.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Like debunked rumors have never turned out to be true and just lied about to get people off the trail...

Android is a very powerful OS that can get the most out of whatever hardware in the device can do as long as the drivers are done right. Also to whomever says the Big N would have to pay the Big G to use it; it is an open source platform which means it is free to use.

Regarding the easy hacking that many are conjecturing: All they need to do is bury the bootloader in the CPU/APU and have it check for alterations to the system partition and refuse to boot or restore good copies of the system files. If nothing could be sideloaded and the memory was encrypted well then it wouldn't be any easier than finding exploits for current gen game systems (and probably more secure than Nintendo's current systems).

Now that I think about it I hope they go a less secure route...

On a side-note I hope it is a console/handheld which would fit in the whole "bridging the gap" message that Nintendo was eluding to.

Agreed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it