1. switch bluetooth.PNG

Despite the Nintendo Switch's appeal as a modern handheld-home console hybrid to seamlessly game on-the-go and on a big screen, it lacks a crucial element of most modern devices: Blutooth audio support. Thankfully, third-party accessories like the GuliKit Route+ Pro and the EPOS GTW 270 Hybrid exist as workarounds to do what Nintendon't. But these require additional purchases and adds a dongle to the console which isn't ideal for storage.

Another workaround was just released which could prove more enticing as it comes at no cost and is fully software-based: nx-btred. Released a couple of hours ago by Switch modding scene member Plutoo, nx-btred is a Bluetooth audio driver/redirector for the Nintendo Switch. Plutoo explains that their solution works through the audrec:u service so as to record the game audio and subsequently outputs it on the new audio Bluetooth driver introduced in firmware version 12.0.0.

As such, this mod requires a Nintendo Switch on firmware 12.0.0+, as well as the latest Atmosphere and MissionControl to be installed, in order to function. Of note, only games audio can be recorded and not the system applets due to a limitation of the audrec:u service.

Of course, you should proceed with this mod at your own risk and not every headphone brands have been tested, so you might encounter some issues. But nx-btred does show promise as a recent release that brings a much-needed feature to the Switch. It's safe to say that it's worth keeping an eye on any issues users come across will be addresses in future releases (Plutoo fixed one a couple of hours after an issue with headphones outputting noise was reported).

Head to the Github repository below to find a link to the files required to download nx-btred and a set up guide.

:download: nx-btred Github repository

tfocosta, Henx, Reynardine and 43 others like this.
  2. Discussion (66 replies)

3. Vilagamer999

Vilagamer999 tempBOT's ai cousin

Spain
    Very cool! How big is the latency though?

4. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    "modern" lmfao what is modern about it, its a fucking nvidia gaming tablet clone with nothing modern, shit wifi card/speed, shit internal storage, shit hardware, shit joycons, no widi, shit box to play on tv, and overall same ole recycled shit games ported.

nintendo should just stop trying to make cheap/shit consoles, we do not need to buy another £300+ inferior old tech crap console to play the same ole shit games we already own or could buy on your last console, or could buy that console for even less.

here is a simple feature brought to you no thanks to exploits/cfw which nintendo focus more on shutting down than they do giving us fucking gamers something new and worthy of buying/playing.

5. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    Nice job :bow:

xdanekai likes this.
  6. smileyhead

smileyhead I like cute stuff.

Hungary
    Keep in mind that this hardware was pretty impressive when it released in 2017. And I still don't see any problems with it, to be honest. Sure, it's not as powerful as the rivals' home consoles, but if you want something portable and powerful, you don't really have a lot of options apart from overpriced gaming laptops and Chinese PCs in the Switch's form factor.

7. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Settle down Beavis

sith, Thejax, britain4 and 31 others like this.
  8. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    no, didnt impress anyone other than the fanboys, it struggled to play its crap shit in the wild at launch and still today.

and not really, nintendo only copied this concept to make idiots think its innovation, and smart devices can do pretty good job, sure the off next gen thats dumbed down really bad for the snitch, but i wouldnt buy a shit version on the snitch when i can get a better version for the same price.

but hey ho, thanks to cfw and this person we have a very simple feature that nintendo couldnt be arsed to front the cost to provide.

cheaptendo

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    INB4 nintendo tries to DMCA it

10. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    So much strange drunken anger. This rant doesn’t make a ton of sense, but if you don’t like the switch and don’t care about portability then just don’t get one. You aren’t going to convince anyone to change their mind like this.

11. Louse

Louse go play rez

United States
    on one hand, me like bintendo shield
    on the other hand, fuck nintendie

decisions decisions

12. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

Germany
    How the switch doesnt have a native bluetooth audio driver is beyond me

13. mattyxarope

mattyxarope GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think they'd try that with this. Too niche. Then again I expect this to get a lot attention when bigger gaming sites get wind of it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think because of the version of Bluetooth that they used, they had to make a choice between consistent joycon connectivity (up to, what, 8 controllers or something) or headphones.

Obviously they chose the joycons.

14. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Know what the thing is with underpowered trash hardware? It's much less taxing to emulate, hence we have a current gen emulator for the Switch which is improving every day. Enjoy your free games without having to spend a dime on garbage hardware.

15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    This is pretty much his shtick at this point.

16. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

Japan
    Let's go this is actually insane!

AmandaRose likes this.
  17. caki883

caki883 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Shit internal storage? my 2 Switch v1 has the max 256 gb internal storage :lol:

KnightsMetal, rad140 and AmandaRose like this.
  18. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    Yep totally agree Nintendo have no idea what they are doing. Nobody is buying their shit out of date console and their games really aren't selling.

They are so shit that they have only sold a miserable 80 million switches. And their biggest selling port
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has only sold a minuscule 33.41 million copies.

Nintendo really are doing a terrible job :rofl2:

19. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

Germany
    Still, thats just such an important feature for alot of people. I only carry my galaxy buds plus around now. I do always have a pair of wired headphones with me, but the buds are in my ear 99% of the time. Being able to just switch from my phone to my switch sounds so comfortable

20. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    WOW!!! Nintendo is using older consolidated components on their consoles? Nintendo has this characteristic since forever, why the rage just now?

StrayGuitarist, rad140 and BigOnYa like this.
  21. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Plutoo does what Nintendon't

Henx, xdanekai and mathew77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Bluetooth, releases, homebrew