[DEBUNKED] Nintendo NX will use android OS?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by T-hug, Jun 1, 2015.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Android_robot.svg.png

:arrow:Source

nxwing likes this.

2. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Nintendos next console will be the Ouya 2, hide this rumour from LightyKD before he dies of a heart attack.

BORTZ, matpower, chavosaur and 23 others like this.
  3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Didn't Nintendo say that the NX would be different from smart phones and tablets? With that in mind, why would they use a mobile OS if they don't intend on making a mobile smart device? I doubt even Nintendo is dumb enough to try to make a smart device home console after the various attempts have all resulted in failure so far.

Skelletonike and nxwing like this.
  4. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Nintendo with Android os? Nope and highly doubt it but if this was were true I would hope for for them to go with mac. I still don't approve at any cost! to go the mobile route if this were true... To many failures when gaming devices go mobile.

nxwing likes this.
  5. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    We are talking about Nintendo here. Are we really sure that they will be using an easily hackable OS? Why won't any of you think about the children?

MajinCubyan, Jhyrachy, Diag and 2 others like this.
  6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Excuse me while I grab my popcorn...

7. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    Let's REALLY hope that's not the case. We all know Android is a resource hog and just urg, Scroogle don't need more money.

nxwing and weatMod like this.
  8. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Oh yeah because Android based gaming consoles always proven to be a good Idea...
    But since it's Nintendo it'll probably get a free pass because of blind fanfollowing.

nxwing likes this.
  9. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    Okay the info comes from Nikkei, not just any old website, so some credit there.

Smart move, android is just a OS and it's great, versatile and customisable, not bonded to cheap shitty hardware you see out there these days before anyone says. Nintendo can make the hardware how they want, it will probably be Nintendo locked Android OS, with a Nintendo wall garden on top.

It won't be anything like the normal Android you see, like I said it most likely be heavily locked down in a form of Android OS. It gives them a head start as well, the Android OS is very mature.

nxwing, WhoAmI? and Maximilious like this.
  10. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I'm not going to put much stock in a rumor like this.

nxwing, Margen67 and Foxi4 like this.
  11. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    Sort of like how Amazon's fork of Android is walled?

Still, sideloading is allowed on Kindle Fires and the like. You can even root and rom Amazon's offerings. While I don't discount a heavily locked down Android could save Nintendo time, any version of Android can be hacked. With how seriously they took security after the Wii, and the near constant "stability updates", I highly doubt Nintendo is going the Android route for a console. They may do companion apps, and that's about it.

nxwing likes this.
  12. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    If this happens to be true I can't wait for someone out there to root it. As for what I think of the rumor, Android is a good OS but it's shitty when it compared to dedicated handheld consoles.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    That's true, however I don't think Nintendo will happily just give us a full Android OS in its current form. If this is true, I would expect them to really lock it down and remove certain features and whatnot.

Last edited by heartgold, Jun 1, 2015
    nxwing likes this.
  14. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    It'd be the same as saying Nintendo's next console will have linux on it, it's a possibility but it won't matter either way.

nxwing and Margen67 like this.
  15. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    It says Android-LIKE OS, and it mentions it'll be easy to port games to Android and iOS.

It is it's own thing. My guess NX is an OS that will be shared betwee all of Nintendo's consoles from now on, just like iOS. Iwata has heavilly implied this before and mentioned Apple's products/OS and how Nintendo should have something like that - everything account based as opposed to tied down to hardware which changes every gen and they have to start from scratch.

nxwing likes this.
  16. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I doubt Nintendo would use an OS built by another company, even if they did modify it a lot.

nxwing likes this.
  17. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    I think nobody on their right mind would build a dedicated machine like this with Android. It'd begging to have their shit hacked day one.

nxwing likes this.
  18. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I can't even find NX mentioned anywhere on that article.

nxwing likes this.
  19. Online

Online GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2015
    I honestly expected NX to be some form of hardware but android? Caught me off guard, I think they're taking mobile gaming integration really seriously and in regards to taking leaps like these, nintendo has always been pretty ballsy. I can't help but feel there will be a plethora of problems with an a android hybrid platform though, that being said, with n3ds sales dying, they do need to find a way to engage their potentially new and existing audience with new ways to play their software especially since wiiU has long been dead in the water even despite it's upcoming releases.

Now with the mobile gaming industry revving up to be one of the most profitable gaming markets ever, it's obvious why nintendo is trying to tap into this flow of cash it but what this means for the nintendo we all know and love, only time will tell.

nxwing likes this.
  20. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    could NX be a nintendo tablet? nintendo's been going down the mobile game road a fair bit the last year. trying freemium games for one. wouldn't surprise me if they made their own tablet device.

nxwing likes this.