[DEBUNKED] Nintendo NX will use android OS?

Android_robot.svg.png

According to an article on Japanese website Nikkei, Nintendo's next console codenamed 'NX' will use an android operating system. A reason cited for this decision is the fact that the WiiU isn't compatible with other consoles making it harder for third party developers to put their titles onto the system. Then there is also the announcement from earlier this year that Nintendo will start developing smartphone games will somehow link into the new system.

:arrow:Source

Reactions: nxwing

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't Nintendo say that the NX would be different from smart phones and tablets? With that in mind, why would they use a mobile OS if they don't intend on making a mobile smart device? I doubt even Nintendo is dumb enough to try to make a smart device home console after the various attempts have all resulted in failure so far.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh yeah because Android based gaming consoles always proven to be a good Idea...
But since it's Nintendo it'll probably get a free pass because of blind fanfollowing.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay the info comes from Nikkei, not just any old website, so some credit there.

Smart move, android is just a OS and it's great, versatile and customisable, not bonded to cheap shitty hardware you see out there these days before anyone says. Nintendo can make the hardware how they want, it will probably be Nintendo locked Android OS, with a Nintendo wall garden on top.

It won't be anything like the normal Android you see, like I said it most likely be heavily locked down in a form of Android OS. It gives them a head start as well, the Android OS is very mature.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay the info comes from Nikkei, not just any old website, so some credit there.

Smart move, android is just a OS and it's great, versatile and customisable, not bonded to cheap shitty hardware you see out there these days before anyone says. Nintendo can make the hardware how they want, it will probably be Nintendo locked Android OS, with a Nintendo wall garden on top.

It won't be anything like the normal Android you see, like I said it most likely be heavily locked down in a form of Android OS. It gives them a head start as well, the Android OS is very mature.

Sort of like how Amazon's fork of Android is walled?

Still, sideloading is allowed on Kindle Fires and the like. You can even root and rom Amazon's offerings. While I don't discount a heavily locked down Android could save Nintendo time, any version of Android can be hacked. With how seriously they took security after the Wii, and the near constant "stability updates", I highly doubt Nintendo is going the Android route for a console. They may do companion apps, and that's about it.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If this happens to be true I can't wait for someone out there to root it. As for what I think of the rumor, Android is a good OS but it's shitty when it compared to dedicated handheld consoles.

Reactions: Margen67

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sort of like how Amazon's fork of Android is walled?

Still, sideloading is allowed on Kindle Fires and the like. You can even root and rom Amazon's offerings. While I don't discount a heavily locked down Android could save Nintendo time, any version of Android can be hacked. With how seriously they took security after the Wii, and the near constant "stability updates", I highly doubt Nintendo is going the Android route for a console. They may do companion apps, and that's about it.
That's true, however I don't think Nintendo will happily just give us a full Android OS in its current form. If this is true, I would expect them to really lock it down and remove certain features and whatnot.

Last edited by heartgold,

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It says Android-LIKE OS, and it mentions it'll be easy to port games to Android and iOS.

It is it's own thing. My guess NX is an OS that will be shared betwee all of Nintendo's consoles from now on, just like iOS. Iwata has heavilly implied this before and mentioned Apple's products/OS and how Nintendo should have something like that - everything account based as opposed to tied down to hardware which changes every gen and they have to start from scratch.

D

Deleted User

I doubt Nintendo would use an OS built by another company, even if they did modify it a lot.

Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly expected NX to be some form of hardware but android? Caught me off guard, I think they're taking mobile gaming integration really seriously and in regards to taking leaps like these, nintendo has always been pretty ballsy. I can't help but feel there will be a plethora of problems with an a android hybrid platform though, that being said, with n3ds sales dying, they do need to find a way to engage their potentially new and existing audience with new ways to play their software especially since wiiU has long been dead in the water even despite it's upcoming releases.

Now with the mobile gaming industry revving up to be one of the most profitable gaming markets ever, it's obvious why nintendo is trying to tap into this flow of cash it but what this means for the nintendo we all know and love, only time will tell.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
could NX be a nintendo tablet? nintendo's been going down the mobile game road a fair bit the last year. trying freemium games for one. wouldn't surprise me if they made their own tablet device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning