[DEBUNKED] Nintendo NX will use android OS?

Android_robot.svg.png

According to an article on Japanese website Nikkei, Nintendo's next console codenamed 'NX' will use an android operating system. A reason cited for this decision is the fact that the WiiU isn't compatible with other consoles making it harder for third party developers to put their titles onto the system. Then there is also the announcement from earlier this year that Nintendo will start developing smartphone games will somehow link into the new system.

:arrow:Source

Reactions: nxwing

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I enjoy that people can "see" Nintendo being innovative in any conceivable way. Their innovation is figuring out which gimmick is inexpensive yet likely to generate sales.

Edit: And I know some will think I'm just being a Nintendo hater, but ultimately, Nintendo has been the least innovative of the game companies this past decade and has been consistently trailing behind in the implementation of common features and technology. Nintendo is not a company that prides itself on innovation.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy that people can "see" Nintendo being innovative in any conceivable way. Their innovation is figuring out which gimmick is inexpensive yet likely to generate sales.

Edit: And I know some will think I'm just being a Nintendo hater, but ultimately, Nintendo has been the least innovative of the game companies this past decade and has been consistently trailing behind in the implementation of common features and technology. Nintendo is not a company that prides itself on innovation.
nintendo has always been the innovator but you are right to a degree, their latest innovation was wii and 3ds 3d screen
besides that yeah no innovation in 9 years except in 2011 with 3ds

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

What have Sony and Microsoft done? steam has been really innovative though.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
nintendo has always been the innovator but you are right to a degree, their latest innovation was wii and 3ds 3d screen
besides that yeah no innovation in 9 years except in 2011 with 3ds
Even then, that's not really innovation. The 3D is purely a gimmick, and considering 3D tech as a whole failed to find a place in the market and has almost completely died out except for movie theaters, I find it hard to say that Nintendo made the right call grasping at what was already unpopular tech. Ultimately, their use of 3D has done nothing to truly alter the gaming experience and can be classified as fun to look at but otherwise useless. Hell, I owned a 3DS, sold it, and when I got a new system, I went with a 2DS because I just couldn't be bothered using 3D and couldn't justify spending extra money on a feature that is so unnecessary.

What have Sony and Microsoft done? steam has been really innovative though.
Sony and Microsoft both have made leaps and bounds towards making the home console experience what it is today. Microsoft became an example of how good an online service could be on a home console, while Sony has established that they know how to handle a digital marketplace geared towards console gamers, integrating their various platforms across a unified account system and offering options like cross buy content. They both established the necessity for online services and social features as part of a dedicated gaming console, Microsoft probably more so seeing as they had created their Xbox Live service back with the original Xbox, no matter how poorly the system ultimately sold. Hell, Sony was one of the companies (besides Sega with the Dreamcast) that recognized the importance of disc based media and it lead to a huge shift in preference for basically all the third party developers (among other hardware differences between the N64 and PS1).

As far as home consoles go, Nintendo hasn't been innovating since the days of the SNES. After the failure that was the Gamecube, proving that it isn't just power that makes the console, Nintendo basically regressed and turned to gimmicks to maintain their foothold, ignoring common trends and features in the home console market, preferring their little bubble that only further isolated them from where the majority of gamers were shifting.

I respect that they've managed to hold onto the handheld market, although I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS ends up being their worst selling handheld to date with further declining sales in successive generations.

As for PC gaming, I don't know enough about the progression of PC gaming well enough, and it becomes semantics arguing over whether PC or a home console did it first.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then, that's not really innovation. The 3D is purely a gimmick, and considering 3D tech as a whole failed to find a place in the market and has almost completely died out except for movie theaters, I find it hard to say that Nintendo made the right call grasping at what was already unpopular tech. Ultimately, their use of 3D has done nothing to truly alter the gaming experience and can be classified as fun to look at but otherwise useless. Hell, I owned a 3DS, sold it, and when I got a new system, I went with a 2DS because I just couldn't be bothered using 3D and couldn't justify spending extra money on a feature that is so unnecessary.

Sony and Microsoft both have made leaps and bounds towards making the home console experience what it is today. Microsoft became an example of how good an online service could be on a home console, while Sony has established that they know how to handle a digital marketplace geared towards console gamers, integrating their various platforms across a unified account system and offering options like cross buy content. They both established the necessity for online services and social features as part of a dedicated gaming console, Microsoft probably more so seeing as they had created their Xbox Live service back with the original Xbox, no matter how poorly the system ultimately sold. Hell, Sony was one of the companies (besides Sega with the Dreamcast) that recognized the importance of disc based media and it lead to a huge shift in preference for basically all the third party developers (among other hardware differences between the N64 and PS1).

As far as home consoles go, Nintendo hasn't been innovating since the days of the SNES. After the failure that was the Gamecube, proving that it isn't just power that makes the console, Nintendo basically regressed and turned to gimmicks to maintain their foothold, ignoring common trends and features in the home console market, preferring their little bubble that only further isolated them from where the majority of gamers were shifting.

I respect that they've managed to hold onto the handheld market, although I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS ends up being their worst selling handheld to date with further declining sales in successive generations.

As for PC gaming, I don't know enough about the progression of PC gaming well enough, and it becomes semantics arguing over whether PC or a home console did it first.

i like the 3D , and it is innovative because nobody else was doing it, OOT looked awesome in 3D
MM too

most of the reason 3D never caught on is because of the goofy glasses , 3ds uses an innovative sharp autostereoscopic display
i am surprised we have not seen this technology in the TV market by now , it certainly exists and has been shown even in a very perfected form at CES for years , the paralax barriers is not only useful for 3d but also for viewing two different video sources on the same screen at the same time and full screen , besides 2 people being able to watch a different movie or tv show at the same time it would be really useful for 2 player split screen gaming in the same room with a full screen view to 2 players at once

"not been innovative since snes"
what was so innovative about snes? shoulder buttons , not really much else
i think the most innovation was the N64 it brought analog control to consoles and made it main stream, ps1 was still using digital dpad
same for 3d games , N64 was te the 1st home console to really do 3d right and almost all the games were 3d, when ps1 was still making 2d games

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And by "nobody else" you mean Sharp and LG which both had lines of ultimately unsuccessful 3D mobile phones, along other manufacturers.

PS1 never stuck to 2D games, it literally launched with a 3D line-up.

As for the N64 bringing analog controls to consoles, that's debatable - there were analog controllers before the N64 one, but that's besides the point. This is how the Nintendo innovation model works - they implement something that's commonly ignored in a poor fashion, then someone competent comes along and fixes it. I'm not seeing a lot of N64-like controllers, oh dear, it would seem Dual Shock won - big surprise.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And by "nobody else" you mean Sharp and LG which both had lines of ultimately unsuccessful 3D mobile phones, along other manufacturers.

PS1 never stuck to 2D games, it literally launched with a 3D line-up.
they had a lot more 2d games than N64 ,N64 really set the standard for 3d on consoles
yeah and i think HTC had a 3d phone too, maybe some laptop had it too but nintendo has really proliferated the technology to a wide audience and been successful and profitable too
nobody else has got the technology out there to a wide userbase, that is their innovation
plus using it in a console , i personally hate mobile games , i need physical buttons

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
they had a lot more 2d games than N64 ,N64 really set the standard for 3d on consoles
yeah and i think HTC had a 3d phone too, maybe some laptop had it too but nintendo has really proliferated the technology to a wide audience and been successful and profitable too
nobody else has got the technology out there to a wide userbase, that is their innovation
plus using it in a console , i personally hate mobile games , i need physical buttons
They really didn't. The PS1 had more 2D games that stood out simply because it had 2000+ games versus the N64's 300-odd.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"They really didn't. The PS1 had more 2D games that stood out simply because it had 2000+ games versus the N64's 300-odd."

nintendo was the 1st to do it right the first to combine analog control and 3d
ps1 had more 2d games yes because it had more games, but it also did not have analog

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Have you considered the distinct possibility that 3D on phones didn't work out because it was, y'know, rubbish? A mobile device is by definition used on the go - glasses-less 3D requires you to be stationary. The N3DS helps a bunch with the use of headtracking, but ultimately the technology is flawed in mobile implementation.

As for why it's not used on TV's, there's a number of reasons. It requires doubled resolution, it only works for one user at a pre-set angle whereas TV's are shared screens and it lowers brightness requiring extra backlight due to the barrier. It makes more sense to implement it in PC monitors, if anything.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like 4K, it is expensive.
4k has really come down i regret buying my TV now it has become so damn cheap
even right after i bought my new TV it was coming down fast an dthat was like a year ago
they had a 55 inch for like 750$ but it was a no name brand
but now i see them coming down fast, i even see oleds coming down

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you considered the distinct possibility that 3D on phones didn't work out because it was, y'know, rubbish? A mobile device is by definition used on the go - glasses-less 3D requires you to be stationary. The N3DS helps a bunch with the use of headtracking, but ultimately the technology is flawed in mobile implementation.
i guess but i never even take my 3ds out i always play it inside anyways
i have the xl and and the n3ds xl and the old 3ds original

not sure about the xl's i have but the 3ds original in the day is total shit you can't even see the screen at all in any kind of light anyways

4k has really come down i regret buying my TV now that it has become so damn cheap
even right after i bought my new TV it was coming down fast and that was like a year ago
they had a 55 inch for like 750$ but it was a no name brand
but now i see them coming down fast, i even see oleds coming down

i guess but i never even take my 3ds out i always play it inside anyways
i have the xl and and the n3ds xl and the old 3ds original

not sure about the xl's i have but the 3ds original in the day is total shit you can't even see the screen at all in any kind of light anyways

every time i edit a post it gets all fucked up and posts as another post, this new system has bugs

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Even if you only play indoors, you're still essentially holding the screen and thus you're susceptible to losing the 3D effect at any moment if you move out of the sweet spot. Again, less of a problem on the N3DS, but hey. I have several 3DS'es and I never play with the 3D on, I use it exclusively for cinematics - they don't involve me doing anything so I can watch them in peace. In other cases, I switch them right off for better framerate since the system's guts are rubbish in typical Nintendo fashion.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you only play indoors, you're still essentially holding the screen and thus you're susceptible to losing the 3D effect at any moment if you move out of the sweet spot. Again, less of a problem on the N3DS, but hey. I have several 3DS'es and I never play with the 3D on, I use it exclusively for cinematics - they don't involve me doing anything so I can watch them in peace. In other cases, I switch them right off for better framerate since the system's guts are rubbish in typical Nintendo fashion.
meh framerates never really bother me
the super stable works really great on my EU AU model N3ds xl but i notice it doesn't work as well on US consoles for some odd reason
i always use the 3d

i can't say i am unhappy with the hardware , the lack of quality software is a whole other story though
every game is either 2.5 d or some japanese style turn based rpg which i hate

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to see modified SD cards as Nintendo's next physical medium if this Android console is legit. It always bugged me that nobody thought about that. Hell, Android games are usually split between the main Apk and a data folder. On a Nintendo android console, they could use the apk files as verification and for game info on the console whilst having the bulk of the game data on writable modified SD cards.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do complain about the hardware because the software that comes out for a system is intrinsically connected to what the system can do, which in this case is "not much". Long story short, if your system can't run latest engines, no one will invent new ones *unless* the system totally dominates the market and devs have no choice but to comply. If the N3DS and the PSVita could have a baby, it would be happy days for me. I kept them together on a desk for a few months now, so far nothing happened, but I'm hopeful and I'll keep you posted.

I would like to see modified SD cards as Nintendo's next physical medium if this Android console is legit. It always bugged me that nobody thought about that. Hell, Android games are usually split between the main Apk and a data folder. On a Nintendo android console, they could use the apk files as verification and for game info on the console whilst having the bulk of the game data on writable modified SD cards.
Sure, we need more proprietary shit, that worked well for the Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-