Homebrew [Debate][Poll] Flashcards vs. 3DeSmume

Should we rely on DS flashcards to play our beloved DS classics, or should we move on to emulation?

• DS flashcards are cheap and very accurate, so let's not waste our time with emulation.

Votes: 109 19.6%
  • 3DeSmume will likely add extra features that hardware based playback cannot dream of. And it's FREE.

Votes: 99 17.8%
  • Why not both? 3DeSmume compliments, rather than competes against flashcards.

Votes: 261 47.0%
  • We should do neither. They're both piracy and DS games suck anyway.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I am a cat. I know not of what you humans speak.

Votes: 68 12.3%
  • Other. I'll explain in a thread reply.

Votes: 15 2.7%

• Total voters

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulation would just be best as a proof of concept. What we really need is a way for the DS games to write to SD, so we have hardware based playing without the need of a flashcart.
well it is possible its just rewriting some thing thats not open source is quite hard they have hacked the firmware on the 3ds but not really twl since the ds never needed to be hacked because of flash cards

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
well it is possible its just rewriting some thing thats not open source is quite hard they have hacked the firmware on the 3ds but not really twl since the ds never needed to be hacked because of flash cards
Let me tell you about this nifty lil' thing called a comma...

Jokes aside, it's very possible. We just don't know how.

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
as i said in the main post, its a waste of time , waste the dev time on it .

Old3ds users must forget to use it , because lack of resources to made a correct emulation (please , remember SNES and GBA NON-NATIVE EMULATION)

And N3DS emulation.....dont wait smothly emulation (at least on mid-exigent resource games) , decent emulation , with frameskip on and no sound probably.....but ok better have more options to play NDS on 3ds wasting time of a good dev....facepalm

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a flashcard (well two but one died) and I think that's a good idea. I probably won't use it (I have a o3ds and I bought a new flashcard like one week before it was announced xD) but it's a good alternative who are promising. I think both solution (and native emulation from TWL-Firm if someone achieved it one day) are good. The more choice we have, The better.

Plus flashcard CAN break. I had a ds two (nearly perfect card, loved it, except for the battery life of my console) and it suddenly stop working after about 4 years of use. I bought a r4igold ( that one http://www.3ds-linker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/R4i-gold-3ds.jpg) and while it does the job, it seem's cheap and some function (like save state ) are not as good as an emulator (or the ds two). Well aside from that it seem's good enough for the price I paid it (~17€)
Well just to say that if emulation progress well it would be a good alternative :)

Last edited by Flirkyn,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose other. Mainly because the 3DS shouldn't need it unless it ran at Near full speed. Personally I hate flashcards (because I can't buy them), but piracy shouldn't be hard to create so people can just install them on a CFW.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say, go ahead and develop DS emulation on the 3DS, there are plenty of people that want it. Personally though, I'm going to stick with my flashcard regardless, and this is for a few reasons:

1. My 3DS is fully self contained meaning that I have no reason to ever even remove the one physical cartridge in the 3DS (as all my 3DS games are now digital copies). As such, to make my 3DS feel complete, I'd like to have one cartridge always in there, my DS flashcard seems like a no brainer to be that cartridge in this regard. (I do still keep a copy of Cubic Ninja around though, just in case I do ever need to do some debugging or whatever, but very rarely do I need to remove the flashcard to put that in).
2. I have a lot of DS roms, I also have a lot of 3DS titles. Consequently my micro sd card in the 3DS itself is nearly full (its 128GB), and that's with no DS rims on that micro sd card. Fortunately the flashcards allow us to use another micro sd card specifically for DS games (mine is 32GB and that too is nearly full).
3. Beyond all that, I'm not convinced that DS emulation on the 3DS will ever get nearly as fluid as just using a flashcard.

Still, I think its nice to have options, especially since I know there are a lot of people that had been wanting DS emulation for a long time.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do chores around the household for some money or ask a friend or family members if they would not mind buying one for me and just do something to pay them back. It is hard getting work though but i figure it can't be impossible to get a little bit of money from somewhere.

Xandrid

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
I would do chores around the household for some money or ask a friend or family members if they would not mind buying one for me and just do something to pay them back.
True, your right, but my family doesn't like me playing games

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All aboard the derailment train!

As far as the belief that it will never be usable...that remains to be seen. Give it a few weeks, if not a few months before you write it off as not viable. I agree that hacking up TWL is probably a better way to go as far as JUST getting the games up and running, however emulators can potentially offer other things that a lot of people like for one reason or another (savestates, cheats, and fast forwarding all come to mind off the top of my head, though there are certainly other things as well). Crapping all over a project that's all off a couple days old makes you look childish and unappreciative of the hard work others have put forth.

Reactions: Xandrid

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All aboard the derailment train!

As far as the belief that it will never be usable...that remains to be seen. Give it a few weeks, if not a few months before you write it off as not viable. I agree that hacking up TWL is probably a better way to go as far as JUST getting the games up and running, however emulators can potentially offer other things that a lot of people like for one reason or another (savestates, cheats, and fast forwarding all come to mind off the top of my head, though there are certainly other things as well). Crapping all over a project that's all off a couple days old makes you look childish and unappreciative of the hard work others have put forth.
Yeah, at shit FPSes. GBA can barely be emulated well on O3DS.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, at shit FPSes. GBA can barely be emulated well on O3DS.

The implication, if you read the github page, is that they are going to attempt to use hardware rendering wherever possible. If this can be done, it's an entirely different ballgame than what's currently out there.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The implication, if you read the github page, is that they are going to attempt to use hardware rendering wherever possible. If this can be done, it's an entirely different ballgame than what's currently out there.
Oh great, on hardware barely documented and you still need to emulate at least 2 CPUs on 1 CPU
Totally gonna be playable... by the time the NX is out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: yassssss i love emerald