D2CKey installation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 3DPiper, Feb 10, 2008.

Feb 10, 2008

D2CKey installation by 3DPiper at 2:23 PM (905 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was asked by a friend to mod his Wii with a modchip.. I opened it up and it was D2C.. I ordered a D2CKey with FlexPCB adapter, but once I got it I noticed two things:

- it is impossible to solder the D2CKey unless you have something like a .3mm tip on your iron. Where can you buy an iron with such a small tip? Is there anywhere that sells a 'mod pack' of items specifically for modding (small-tipped low-watt iron, slow melt solder, flux, wires)..

- after a quick scan of the board here, apparently there is a newer D2C chip out that is better than the D2CKey.. D2CKey's website say they are the only modchip for D2C.. Is it not compatible with the newer games? I don't want to get into a 'support' role with this wii ("hey, this isn't working with this game!").. [​IMG]

-Matthew

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    you will need a 12watt iron with a fine tip. i use the weller wm12 with point tip.

the d2pro/argon are newer chips with less wires, but all games work on d2ckey for now, and its also the most stable chip.

3. Hogmeister

Member Hogmeister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    actually unless i'm missing something or nobody with a d2ckey with SSBB jap working is just not posting.... last i knew SSBB jap DVD9 release does not work with d2ckey? they get the white screen w/ green text error from everything i've seen, has there been any confirmation that it works on the d2ckey? (if so link please, i like a good read [​IMG] knowledge is power afterall... lawl )

4. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a weller 12w pencil iron, but it has a chisel tip.. where can I get a super-fine point tip for it?

If I install this D2CKey with the FlexPCB adapter, can I just unsolder the modchip side of the flexpcb and put on a newer chip (D2CKeyPro?)? I'd hate to have to solder all those surface mount chip pins again..

-Matthew