Hacking Custom IOSX Rev21 Released!!

x4mer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The lag is most likely from the drive going to sleep. I know that the elements drives don't come with a utility to permanently turn off sleep, like the passport drives do. There is also no way to stop it using third party utilities - I tried wdidle & hdparm - they only work on the PC till the power is cut, which makes them useless for Wii use.

Hermes CIOS does something to keep the drive awake. Hold the drive in your hand while just sitting on a menu screen in a game - you can feel the drive spinning up and down. Under Wanin, the drive will just spin down. These drives will likely fail the Mario Kart finish line test - run the game under wanin cios - pause just shy of finishing the race - leave it for a 1/2 hour or so - go back and resume the game - it will hang at the finish line under Wanin, but not Hermes.

Use a drive that supports turning off sleep mode, like a passport SE.

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Liberty said:
Has anyone tested which base is the best for Triiforce or all all these suggestions in this thread just rumors?
Who cares about triiforce when uneek is so much better?
tongue.gif

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
davebaol said:
Well, 99% is more realistic than 100%.
There are a dozen of games out there not working with usb loader because of ios reloading.
That's were uneek is perfect for.

BBogey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
x4mer said:
The lag is most likely from the drive going to sleep. I know that the elements drives don't come with a utility to permanently turn off sleep, like the passport drives do. There is also no way to stop it using third party utilities - I tried wdidle & hdparm - they only work on the PC till the power is cut, which makes them useless for Wii use.

Hermes CIOS does something to keep the drive awake. Hold the drive in your hand while just sitting on a menu screen in a game - you can feel the drive spinning up and down. Under Wanin, the drive will just spin down. These drives will likely fail the Mario Kart finish line test - run the game under wanin cios - pause just shy of finishing the race - leave it for a 1/2 hour or so - go back and resume the game - it will hang at the finish line under Wanin, but not Hermes.

Use a drive that supports turning off sleep mode, like a passport SE.

No I can't notice my Lacie Rikiki is spinning up and down. Lag happens many times in a minute. If I look carefully HDD activity when playing WSR, the lag is happening exactly at the same when HDD led flashes.

Edit: Here's a short video how remote goes unstable 2 times when playing WSR canoeing. When there is HDD activity (at the 00:10 and 00:20), remote goes unstable, need to keep remote still for a while so it resets. Low right corner is the HDD led, when there is activity it blinks, when there is no activity, the led just shimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXf6N274PE

The controller lag problem does not exists with Wanin rev19.

Edit2:
I tried to test the Mario kart finish line test, no problems with that, but during the test, remote went to sleep and I needed to press A to wake it up, so I don't know if it affected the test.

During the pause mode, I noticed that HDD led blinks every 10 seconds, and when it blinks it wont accept any commands from remote for a half a second. For example using axis to constantly select between "Continue" and "Quit", remote lags every 10 seconds. Also with rev19 or with Hermes HDD led flashes every 10 seconds, but remote still works fine.

Edit3: Here's videos from Mario kart pause menu to demonstrate the issue

cIOSX rev21 [base 56] (it's the same with 57),
at 00:03, 00:13, 00:23, 00:33 HDD led flashes and remote lags:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGnARVTSeFg

cIOSX rev19 [base 57], working fine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQQoR3V-KA

I monitored the HDD led also when attached to TV and laptop, and then it's _not_ flashing every 10 seconds, but only when there is activity, so seems _not_ to be a sleep issue.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I´m here to say that cIOS250@base57 loads smash brawl quite fast.

Base IOS58 will load up everything, but all games will load slower, so I use it just to make CFG USB Loader(cIOS249) detects my cheap 100 GB HDD @IOS58 then do a base57@250cIOS reload.

PD: referring to Custom IOSX 21.

Oh, and i don´t know why but gamecube games seems to load faster with the current config:

- DARKCORP 1.1

- CIOSX rev 21 cIOS249@base 58

- Waninkoko's cMIOS 5.

Games i've tested so far:

Super Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros Melee, Tales of Symphonia.

All of them experienced a better {less} load time

PD: I took the crappy IOS58 patched by DarkCorp and put a clean un-patched IOS 58(re-installed HBC to use IOS58). And i'm running SM4.3U

grox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i installed rev21 also, as far as I can read it is better to go back to rev19??
How can I install this one again? Simply install rev19 and it's OK? Which base, 56,57 or 58?

galen2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I´m out of scene a time...

I have installed cIOS249 r17 IOS38 but i use for all Hermes cIOS222(38)/223(37)/224(57). No cIOSCops installed.

Now with r21 it´s possible to use cIOSx IOS56 or IOS53 to load "CSI" backup? or still not possible?

I remember no alt-dol for this game

My default it´s Hermes cIOS222(38), if i change to cIOS249 IOS 56, i could get more compatibility or speed? I always thinking that IOS38 it´s the best base but now i read here that 56 t´s the best.

Thank you for your time

BBogey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
grox said:
How can I install this one again? Simply install rev19 and it's OK? Which base, 56,57 or 58?
If you don't have any problems, then you could stay in rev21.
But if you do have problems with controller lag, you should go back to rev19 with base 57. You can just use rev19 installer. You can still install rev21 to slot 247 or 248 and have then both.

BBogey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
hetfield said:
davebaol said:
Well, 99% is more realistic than 100%.
There are a dozen of games out there not working with usb loader because of ios reloading.
That's were uneek is perfect for.

Yes, but it would be nice that there is one solution what plays everything, usb backups and originals. And no need to switch between nands, hassling with copying mii:s and savegames etc.

I need to have my system kids friendly, easy game loading etc. Uneek + DI game switching is not that easy yet. And it's not yet enough stable. At least I have sometimes black screens, for example when returning from Mii editing. I have tested uneek+DI r125 and tried also compiled the latest r140, but still some black screens.

Currently I don't have any games what are not working with custom ios and usb loading, so I'm sticking with that.

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country
grox said:

Just reinstall over the top. It should just overwrite what you have.

netspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all your testing, BBogey.
I just found another easy way to reproduce the controller lag problem.
Just load "Wario Land: Shake It!" and stay on the screen where you choose a save file.
With cIOS 222, no problem.
With cIOSX (IOS 56 base), you've got a message (staying on screen less than 1 second) saying the wiimote isn't synced (approximately every 8 seconds).

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Controller lag, well after various testing it is down to the hard drive!

WD500GB and 1TB Passport essential, these lag, have tried them on 3.4, 4.0 and 4.2 wii with cios rev 19, 20 & 21

The lag is ONLY on rev 20 and 21, rev 19 works fine

With all Wii's I changed the hard drive to a Seagate FlexAgent Go (no other changes), still a USB powered drive loaded with the same games and everything worked great with no lag.

So even though the HDD works it causes the lag in the games, swap the drive (to a select few that work 100%) and it then works without lag.

strapsoz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used the wario shake it game to test the lag on my hard drives. Both WD essential 500GB usb powered and WD elements 1TB wall powered = lag v21

Two Question

Does it make any games annoyingly unplayable?

Are there any known issues with v19 b57? (except the need for hermes v4 37 + 38 for games like cricket and MHT)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
strapsoz said:
Does it make any games annoyingly unplayable?
Yes. Twilight Princess, which relies heavily on using the Clawshot item, is very annoying to play when using rev20 or rev21. Animal Crossing: City Folk is another one that is annoying to play using rev20 or rev21.

QUOTE(strapsoz @ Jan 2 2011, 06:31 PM) Are there any known issues with v19 b57? (except the need for hermes v4 37 + 38 for games like cricket and MHT)
Rev19 with IOS57 as a base is what I use for all of my games. I've heard that rev19 with IOS37 as a base installed in slot 250 seemingly covers everything else, including MHT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4