Custom Firmware for Atgames Legends Flashback with support for Arcade games

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Arcade" L:egends Flashback with 50 games is identical to the more common version. Its just a different shell. everthing works the same.

You cannot add box art toroms in the "game" folder. only the "rom" folder.

check and make sure you have the proper firmware and scripts.

Last edited by Deleted member 502272,

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking at the V2.8.4 instructions and the first step says copy retroplayer.ini... There is no file. Do I use the file from 2.6 download?

Ummm... I guess, it worked.

I was like, "what in the world is OVERLOCK?" It is overclock... BTW has anyone checked the CPU temps? Because these have no heatsinks at all.

Well, I grabbed a SMS ROM to test, Wonder Boy In Monster Land... it loads but unplayable. The boy is stuck and falls through the screen! Not a great start.

Another weird thing about this game box, the power button is a physical on/off button. That means there is no proper software shutdown. Possible corruption issue? I already corrupted my SD card playing with this firmware for 30 mins.
-
Hey, I found out that the ROMS you copy to the GAME folder are not sorted alphabetically. They are sorted in the order that they are copied. Windows File Explorer is not good at copying file in exact order. I used an Android TV box with ES File Explorer to copy MD ROMS and they all turned out in order. Then I copied some NES ROMS and they all show up in order AFTER all of the MD ROMS.

Last edited by relaxxx,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't looked at this CFW in a while but you can use the same retroplayer from 2.6 or not use any retroplayer as the settings are stored in a read-only file in the emulator partition.

It's overclock... a typo... I've never checked the temps (connecting this device over UART is terrible) but it doesn't create a lot of heat and I used some very conservative values (if I recall it was 1.1GHz or 1.3GHz, this CPU can work in theory at 1.5GHz)

This issue with Wonder Boy in Monster Land is the same issue a 'real' Genesis has when loading this game with a Genesis controller. There is a setting in genesisplus-gx to choose the controller type but I'm pretty sure it's global.

And yes, if you moved the partitions to the SD Card, it might corrupt at some point. The original firmware is still available in the AtGames website and you can always re-apply it if the CFW doesn't work for you, this CFW is just a hack to try to make this device more useful. The overclock is also reversible. This thread have some great information if you want to open the img file to improve or customize it.

Last edited by rrifonas,
Reactions: relaxxx

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. CFW is a big improvement. You should do a max 1.5Ghz overclock update for people who want to push it. I took it apart and the CPU didn't seem too warm actually. Plus I can stick on a heatsink, no problem about that. Weird about that Wonderboy IML SMS bug, you'd think all the emulator codes would have patched that issue ages ago. It was literally the first ROM I tried.

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do we know that the V2.8.4 overclock is actually in effect? I can't find any difference in performance. I also tested the temperature between OFW and CFW and the CFW was actually one degree cooler. Basically nil, margin of error. What I did was run GnG on demo for 25 minutes with each FW, with the cover off, and check the APU with an IR thermometer. If it was overclocked then it should have been a little bit warmer. It runs very cool for a ARM APU with no heatsink, 37C vs 36C.

hossbags2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legends_Flashback_Boom_FB8650__3D_box.jpg

Hi,

I'd like to share my first custom firmware for the Atgames Legends Flashback 2018. This CFW doesn't work with the Legends Flashback 2019 (the one with 100/110 games).

It removes the file extension filter from the SD Card and include support to load arcade games from the SD Card using Final Burn Alpha or MAME 2000.

I did not test it extensively, and it may brick the console (as every software update). Since it doesn't affect the base OS or the recovery partition, if it doesn't work for you, or you don't like it, just install the update from the Atgames website again and it will remove all changes.

Please keep in mind this console is more like a Raspberry Pi Zero/Raspberry Pi 2 than a SNES Classic or Super Retro-cade. It's a Dual-Core processor with 128MB NAND/128MB RAM, so a lot of games will run slow or do not run at all. MAME 2000 is the preferred emulator, as it runs everything pretty fast. The extensions for arcade games are weird due to technical limitation, you can read the technical info if you want to know
why.

If anyone find an issue that may affect the console let me know so I will remove the download link.

Instructions:
+ Copy arcade_update.img to the SD Card
+ Insert the SD Card with the console powered off
+ Power on and follow the instructions
+ After the console is updated, remove the SD Card and rename or delete .img file
+ Read the additional readme file for additional features

Release Notes:
This is the same update as the one released by Atgames in Dec-03, but it includes the following changes:
+ Support for FBA games in 7-zip format (last character in the file name will be dropped in Menu). CPS1, CPS2 and some Neo Geo games work fine with this core (any game larger than Samurai Showdown 4 will fail to load) and you need to press DOWN + Start to insert coins (the menu option is not available)
+ Added MAME 2000 core, so there are 2 options of emulator. MAME games must be renamed from .zip to .zim. Vertical games will be displayed in 4:3 and some games will have display issues (like Mortal Kombat)
+ The insert coin for the MAME 2000 and FBA cores is partially broken in CFW 2.8.4. The only way to add coins is pressing the "MENU" button in the console twice, or press the "Mode" button twice if you have a Genesis controller.
+ Master System and Game Gear games can be run from SD Card (.sms/.gg format)
+ SNES support (.fig)
+ Some settings can be customized in retroplayer.ini
+ Removed texture filter from Capcom games
+ Save states will be deleted when you apply the update. Save them to the SD Card before applying the update

Technical Info:
+ Most of these changes were done using a hex editor and playing with the original Menu.
+ This device has MAME 2003 Plus (inside emulator partition) and FBA (inside rom partition), but both cores seem to be locked to the built-in games. MAME has only 4.3MB, which partially confirm this idea.
+ FBA core is being used only for Ghouls 'n' Ghosts. Other games use MAME, MOO or some proprietary core
+ No cores were modified in the emulator partition, so the gameplay from the built-in games will not be affected
+ FBA support was added by including the FBA core for SNES Classic. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts still running with this core
+ MAME 2000 core was added by removing one ROM that was not being used in the rom partition (Street Fighter II CE). The core is also for SNES Classic
+ FBA and MAME 2000 were added by editing 2 extensions/emulators assigned to Stella (.a26) and a Colecovision (.cv) in retromenu. It's a quick and dirty mod, so I needed to keep the same number of characters for each extension
+ FBA core supports 7-zip out-of-box, but you will need to re-compress your ROMS to use it
+ MAME 2000 extension '.zim' was chosen because '.zip' is already assigned to the built-in MAME 2003 Plus. I edited the core to replace .zip with .zim
+ Last character for 7-zip games is dropped because the menu is expecting a 3-digit extension. I couldn't find a way to fix it, and some games will be difficult to identify. It doesn't affect internally, as the games are properly loaded (with correct file name)
+ Larger Neo Geo games will fail load due to the available space to expand the games (the whole NAND has 128MB) and also likely due to the total memory (128MB)
+ The "full v2.6 update" released by Atgames (and which this mod is based), has 3 partitions that are fully replaced when you run it:
1) emulator (10MB) -> It's a read-only compressed partition (SquashFS) containing the launcher (retromenu), emulator (retroplayer), and most of the cores. There is also a retroplayer_ro.ini with settings for the emulator
2) rom (48MB) -> Contains the ROMs, game list file and FBA core in a compressed partition (SquashFS)
3) data (4MB) -> retroplayer.ini (game settings/this file is writable and store custom controller layouts among other settings), sdcard_config.ini and save states

UPDATE 1[Jan-24]:
A couple of users reported that Williams games doesn't work with this core. This is caused by the core working without RetroArch, and trying to create the .nv files inside the read-only partition. While I did not fix the core, I've created an update with a workaround for these games. It's the same update as above but the Williams games will also work.

UPDATE 2 [Jan-30]:
I've updated the download link with the definitive fix for Arcade Games that require reading files from nvram (Williams games). You will see a folder 'mame2000' under GAME folder with the cfg and .nv files.

UPDATE 3 [Dec-04]:
New CFW based on the Atgames update 2.8.4 (20191203). The insert coin for the MAME 2000 and FBA cores is partially broken. The only way to add coins is pressing the "MENU" button in the console twice, or press the "Mode" button twice if you have a Genesis controller.

Download link - Update with FBA, MAME 2000 and Williams games support
Download link - Update v2.8.4 with overlock enabled

The following games are now supported:

Code:
* Defender
* Defense Command
* Mayday Mai'dez
* Colony 7
* Stargate
* Robotron
* Joust
* Bubbles
* Splat
* Sinistar
* Blaster
* Mystic Marathon
* Turkey Shoot
* Inferno
* Joust 2

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do i need to install both updates. I have the LF2018 and mainly want the arcade games. Also what mame/fba rom sets should I get.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
over at AA Forum they have got a sort of folder system working for the AFBX, I'm guessing it will work on this system as well and i have built packs for most of the classic systems already.

Is that something you guys want to do here? Is anyone still messing with the LFB?

UnholyVivid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you insert coins for separate players?
For instance, when playing King of the dragons, I can't insert coin in P2 slot.
same Quartet2.
Does the genesis multi tap work for 4 player games on this?
Its there a way to get the select button working for Snes games. I have seen a snes to genisis port converter. But I don't think the select button can be mappable.

You CAN just rename SNES roms to .fig. I think .sfc work best.
Mario Kart doesn't seem to wok
Street Fighter Alphs 2 dopes not work.

Is there a way to get save states to work with mame?
Arcade games, is there a way to at least save the high score?

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still playing around with my LFB. Some things I would like to see besides saves support; SD games thumbnails, swap A-B buttons for NES ROMS, a safe software shutdown option (SD card is always flagged with error because of this, I think), and also screen aspect options. People always poo poo full screen option, but if I wanted to put this box in an arcade cabinet with a 4:3 monitor the games would be super squished horizontally.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in game reboot, restart, shutdown and folders have been implemented for the LFBs. And a bunch of other stuff. I havent messed with it too much, but I bet you can change buttons and aspect ratio now. A lot of files arent hardcoded anymore.

No, SD game thumbs, but rrifonas has editing of main menu support. Which lets you add games with art.

Last edited by Deleted member 502272,

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at this moment, but I had the opportunity to review the update released today for the Legends FB 2019, and it's basically the same device as the 2018, but with larger emulator and rom partitions.

I didn't have time to look closely at the menu executable (this is where the custom firmware does its magic), but it seems to have less room for customization. It has an entry for a Stella core which is not included anywhere, so there would be only 1 slot available for a custom core - this core could be MAME 2000. I've seen an entry for FBA, but the core is not included and the image and the I think it only can be called adding the games directly in all-games.ini (the game list).

Rocketfan removed the limitation on the number of cores. You can have as many cores as you want.

Reactions: rrifonas

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mario Kart SNES ROM had a problem with some older emulators. Something about DSP1b SYSTEM ROM missing. Maybe this could be looked into, or patched into the CFW??

relaxxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking forward to more CFWs... hopefully coming soon. I don't suppose there is any possibility of enabling OTG USB devices like keyboards and gamepads? I soldered the data lines on mine and tried to see if a keyboard did anything, no luck at all.

Also played with some MAME ROMS and a few actually keep scores; Bubbles, Journey, Joust, and Zoo Keeper.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legends Flashback Ultimate (Community Project) - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

(for ALL the AtGames Legends Flashbacks. LFB 2018 - Model No. FB8650, LFB 2018 Deluxe - Model No. FB8650, LFB 2019 - Model No. FB8660 and LFB 2019 Deluxe/Special Edition - Model No. FB8660S. You MUST have Custom Firmware installed that lets you read files from the SD Card - 32GB or less.)

This will allow you to add games with box art to the main menu. It will also allow you to sort game libraries into folders. You can now Shutdown and Reboot the system from the controller or Clear the Recently Played games list. It has a Home button that will take you back to the main menu. It allows for custom themes, music and bezels. It takes advantage of overclock custom firmware. It has been loaded with more emulator cores, and even more can be added. You can change core settings if available. You can remap your buttons. It will also allow each LFB system to run its built in games from the SD Card. You will NOT loose any games. You can remove the SD Card and your system will run stock. You CAN import your /game folder. This package makes NO internal changes to your system. This is a COMMUNITY PROJECT. Feel free to give feedback or lend a hand. You can use all or just parts of this in your own projects if you wish. Thank You to R.Rifonas for the Original CFW and RocketFan for the System Changes.

DOWNLOAD:
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=837127

takwu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow that's a nice surprise.

I bought FBL 2018 in May 2020 (it was on clearance...) and found this thread, so I was gonna play around with this CFW. Then life happened, and I never did anything with it other than testing that it worked with the original firmware.

Finally today I came back here for the CFW and found out about another project? Nice!

Thank you so much rrifonas and Draxxon for working on this cheap little thing :D

4dapeople

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I commented before MAME 2000 has a weird way to look for the content folder... if the front end does not return a directory it tries to create a folder called (null) in the same path as the emulator. In our case this path is read only and it fails.

Other MAME versions and FBA have a different logic, if the front end does not return the path, they create the files under a folder in the content dir.

As a workaround I will create the nvram externally and add to the emulator partition. That will fix these games expecting to read data from nvram on boot.

If you know how to compile the core for arm you are more than welcome .

for any one who may be skilled enough to assist me.
I would like to discuss some technical support issues I have with the 2018 legend flashback console.
Basically im interested in having a skilled coder make modifications to the code that runs the console in order to allow it to play video and audio files.

If you know of any one who may be skilled enough to help me in this project, I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance you can give me in contacting them

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We did get audio and video files to play. we even got karaoke working. ffmpeg is the video core that was used.

video playback was only decent on an overclocked atari flashback x and a flashdrive. Playing video from the sd card, even with overclock, was skipping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...