Custom Firmware for Atgames Legends Flashback with support for Arcade games

Genycis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
turbografx is not supported. you would need to create a new CFW and swap in the TG core and lose a current core. if its even possible. Rrifonas?

colecovison is only on the 2019 unit, and there is no CFW for it.

the controller lacks a button for snes select.

Besides nes, snes, genesis and master system you can also run sg-1000, game gear, sega cd, mame arcade and final burn alpha arcade games. how to do that is all in this thread.

I'm pretty sure all of this has been covered already.

Thanks for the info Draxxon, I appreciate it. Regarding what's covered in the thread, it was what helped me to figure out the NES and SNES setup, as well as Sega Master and Genesis roms working. However, I saw a lot of other more technical talk and actually taking apart the system and other things of that nature and the TG16 situation wasn't quite as clear to me as to whether there was a potential workaround or if someone was working on figuring it out, so I thought I'd ask for complete clarity.

Thanks for clarifying. I appreciate it.

Okieoneshinobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Draxxon, I appreciate it. Regarding what's covered in the thread, it was what helped me to figure out the NES and SNES setup, as well as Sega Master and Genesis roms working. However, I saw a lot of other more technical talk and actually taking apart the system and other things of that nature and the TG16 situation wasn't quite as clear to me as to whether there was a potential workaround or if someone was working on figuring it out, so I thought I'd ask for complete clarity.

A lot of coleco and atari games can be found as arcade games. I even found a cool Bonks Adventure arcade game.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created a private ColecoVision pack for myself. 286 games total. 158 real games I put in the "Console Games" section. 128 Homebrew games went in the "Arcade Games" section. I also converted a full pack of 519 games and put them in the "game" folder for the "SD Card" section. New bezels, BGM, and the Menu BGs have the CV Logo now. It's dope as fuck. I wish AtGames would make a mini CV.

101824445_808849492980786_1632745392059806177_n.jpg
102810381_2587312538209646_3161780657061803208_n.jpg

Last edited by Deleted member 502272,
Reactions: rrifonas

cyanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I finally got around to messing around with my LFB after half a year (yay raw NAND dumps and my insistence on trying to reconstruct everything using it), and knocked up a quick demo of the thing running VVVVVV. New account, can't post links, but search "Custom game demo (not a libretro core) on AtGames Legends Flashback" on YouTube.

Adding custom game entries from SD card seems pretty straightforward, could automate it on console or do a desktop app such that you just need your game, covers, and metadata in a folder and it would get automatically detected. It could also be used for adding new cores without reflashing stuff or hex editing the original menu code.

BTW, dunno if it's been mentioned, but if you place a file called channel.txt on your SD card, you can play with the testing menu.

Genycis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got around to messing around with my LFB after half a year (yay raw NAND dumps and my insistence on trying to reconstruct everything using it), and knocked up a quick demo of the thing running VVVVVV. New account, can't post links, but search "Custom game demo (not a libretro core) on AtGames Legends Flashback" on YouTube.

Adding custom game entries from SD card seems pretty straightforward, could automate it on console or do a desktop app such that you just need your game, covers, and metadata in a folder and it would get automatically detected. It could also be used for adding new cores without reflashing stuff or hex editing the original menu code.

BTW, dunno if it's been mentioned, but if you place a file called channel.txt on your SD card, you can play with the testing menu.

Hey Cyanic, is this with the LFB with 50 games, or the newer LFB with 100 games? Had to ask. Curious as to the things you said though.. will have to check out that youtube video you mentioned as well.

cyanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
could you explain the channel.txt please.
I believe it's used to store some settings for testing wireless controllers on other Flashback models (probably one of the Genesis Flashback HD units), but in general it does bring up the testing menu. You shouldn't need to put any content in the file, just a blank one should suffice.

Hey Cyanic, is this with the LFB with 50 games, or the newer LFB with 100 games? Had to ask. Curious as to the things you said though.. will have to check out that youtube video you mentioned as well.
It's the 50 games one, but I don't imagine there's too much differences between the two in terms of how things launch.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried creating a blank channel.txt file and putting it on the root of the SD Card on the newer 2019 model. I don't see a test menu. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it only works on the 2018. I'm not sure.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I recently heard that yes it is possible to run the TG16 core on the LFB after all. I also know a couple people who want the Atari2600 core from the LFB Deluxe as well. Along with the ColecoVision core already being present, a new CFW for the LFB2019 100 Game model could become reality. I guess you would ditch one of the Arcade Game cores?

Genycis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently heard that yes it is possible to run the TG16 core on the LFB after all. I also know a couple people who want the Atari2600 core from the LFB Deluxe as well. Along with the ColecoVision core already being present, a new CFW for the LFB2019 100 Game model could become reality. I guess you would ditch one of the Arcade Game cores?

I actually have the 2018 version with the 50 games in it vs the 100 game version. But I would probably consider ditching the arcade core if I had to ditch one for the sake of the TG-16, but, then that also may depend on the games and whether or not they need more buttons than the current controller has. I already have issues with some SNES games because they need ALL the buttons to play and I'm short a "Select" button since the controller doesn't have one. I wish there was a controller I could buy for the LFB 2018 that looked like a PS3 joypad so that I could incorporate the buttons needed.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega SG-1000 Flashback Converter pack with artwork for the LFB2018 and the newer CFW is released.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=742772

Also just noticed, there is new official firmware for all of the flashback type units that was released by AtGames yesterday. Only, they all have the same version number so maybe it isn't. I tried the LFB2019 at least. NES buttons are still jacked up.

Franky32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be sweet if people could run your Atari 2600 boxart set on the LFB2019...

cyanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried loading the Genesis Flashback 2018 contents from an SD card, seems to work fine aside from a bit slow loading. With a bit of effort, can probably make this "multiboot" to different Flashback models. Take one retromenu and load it with options to launch other retromenus, and then override the loading to remount to a different emulator/rom folder. Background daemon can listen for a certain keypress to kill the child menu and return to the "boot menu".

Franky32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be sweet if people could run your Atari 2600 boxart set on the LFB2019...
Oh, I just want to set peoples' expectations though: I have the LFB 2019 Deluxe and although it runs 2600 roms as well as the Atari Flashback 9/X, it DOES NOT support Atari joysticks or paddles. For the best experience, you'll still need to get an Atari Flashback X and use actual Atari joysticks and paddles...

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of the LFB2019s got firmware updates for real this time.

V1.0.1
Release Date: 2020/07/03

##Games
• Leaderboard added to the following games. Please visit https://www.atgames.net/arcadenet/leaderboards/legends_flashback for instructions.
– BurgerTime
– Burnin' Rubber (please submit your score at this page for the best user experience. Example image can be found here:
http://legendsultimate.atgames.net/afz/brubber.zip.save0.png)

## Miscellaneous
- Resolved game missing issue after upgrade to version 0.1.16 on select Legends Flashback consoles

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

mx99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, I have installed the custom firmware on my 2018, 50 games version, atgames Legends Flashback, but it seems that I got the "rare plastic case" one. The one that says "ARCADE" on it.

Not sure if this matters but, I can't seem to get the newest firmware to run with the scripts that are suggested to be downloaded. Everything runs fine on the v2.6 custom firmware though (first one) but I was wondering if I can add custom Art Box to the roms that go into the "game" folder. I have used @Draxxon converted packs with his art box that go into the "rom" folder and it works.

So if you could guide me a little would be awsome.

Oh and a very small doubt, what is the Super Street Fighters II: New Challengers ROM version that runs with the console by default? Cus' it doesn't seem to load when the modded SD is inserted. I tried using the FBA romset version of it and it just brought me back to the menu screen.

Thank you all for this great improvements!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup