Hacking Custom character support?

Muyfa666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to get japanese character support on a english PAL wii?

I don't want to replace the english characters, just adding japanese ones.

Can it be done?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Any region changer, set the language in japanese and press A over save, then just reboot...!!!
smile.gif

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
I don't know where exactly you want to have japanese character support. The data management screen, message board and Mii channel, for example, already support rendering japanese characters. If you want to actually write japanese characters, that's a totally different story. I honestly don't know if there's an easy way to enable input of japanese characters, but I doubt there is.

Muyfa666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I i installed a japanese VC channel and there is no text in the description or in the info whatsoever.

Therefor I assumed that the Wii couldn't handle japansese characters.

Wouldn't setting the language to japanese make everything japanese on the Wii?

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
OK, the problem is not that the Wii does not handle japanese characters in the system menu (it really does, I know from my japanese Tales of Symphonia disc), but that the channel you installed only includes it's japanese name in the banner file, which is only read when the system language is set to japanese. The banner file probably has no text for either of the remaining 6 languages, so it appears empty.
I do not recommend forcing your console's language to japanese on a PAL Wii (PAL system menu doesn't include any japanese text, maybe it would even crash). Instead, find a tool to edit the banner file of the channel. I have never done that and don't know the name of this tool, but I know it exists and is easy to handle.

madmikeuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Helsionium said:
Instead, find a tool to edit the banner file of the channel. I have never done that and don't know the name of this tool, but I know it exists and is easy to handle.
I presume you mean the BRLYT tool?

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Well, I really don't know, but AFAIK the title name is not stored in .brlyt files (these are responsible for the actual banner layout and graphics).

In disc-based games, these names are stored at the beginning of the opening.bnr file, the "IMET header". I don't know if the BRLYT tool can modify the IMET header, but if it does, you should be able to use that to copy the japanese name to the other languages' slots. If the tool can't handle the IMET header, edit it with a hex-editor, but be sure to read up on the format or check a file from your region before you attempt that. There might be differences between the NTSC/J and PAL IMET header I do not understand, but I have found no such differences.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Sorry...

to put it more clearly, I don't know what the BRLYT tool does and what it doesn't. Please experiment with the tool to find out whether it can change a channel's name. If not, search for a tool that can modify the "IMET header" of a channel banner. As I said, I haven't bothered with this subject much. Maybe another user is more knowledgable on this subject than I am.

madmikeuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Helsionium said:
Sorry...

to put it more clearly, I don't know what the BRLYT tool does and what it doesn't. Please experiment with the tool to find out whether it can change a channel's name. If not, search for a tool that can modify the "IMET header" of a channel banner. As I said, I haven't bothered with this subject much. Maybe another user is more knowledgable on this subject than I am.

BRLYT is Banner metadata. And you're indeed correct, now you've jogged my memory I remember that it is the IMET header which handles channel names. I believe you can edit them by repacking the U8 archives with HowardC's U8 Tool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxYoQPhGaW8 +2