Custom character support?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Muyfa666, Mar 24, 2009.

Mar 24, 2009

Custom character support? by Muyfa666 at 3:54 PM (1,158 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Muyfa666
    OP

Member Muyfa666 GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Is it possible to get japanese character support on a english PAL wii?

I don't want to replace the english characters, just adding japanese ones.

Can it be done?

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Any region changer, set the language in japanese and press A over save, then just reboot...!!! [​IMG]

3. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    I don't know where exactly you want to have japanese character support. The data management screen, message board and Mii channel, for example, already support rendering japanese characters. If you want to actually write japanese characters, that's a totally different story. I honestly don't know if there's an easy way to enable input of japanese characters, but I doubt there is.

4. Muyfa666
    OP

Sweden
    I i installed a japanese VC channel and there is no text in the description or in the info whatsoever.

Therefor I assumed that the Wii couldn't handle japansese characters.

Wouldn't setting the language to japanese make everything japanese on the Wii?

5. Helsionium

Austria
    OK, the problem is not that the Wii does not handle japanese characters in the system menu (it really does, I know from my japanese Tales of Symphonia disc), but that the channel you installed only includes it's japanese name in the banner file, which is only read when the system language is set to japanese. The banner file probably has no text for either of the remaining 6 languages, so it appears empty.
    I do not recommend forcing your console's language to japanese on a PAL Wii (PAL system menu doesn't include any japanese text, maybe it would even crash). Instead, find a tool to edit the banner file of the channel. I have never done that and don't know the name of this tool, but I know it exists and is easy to handle.

6. madmikeuk

Newcomer madmikeuk Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I presume you mean the BRLYT tool?

7. Helsionium

Austria
    Well, I really don't know, but AFAIK the title name is not stored in .brlyt files (these are responsible for the actual banner layout and graphics).

In disc-based games, these names are stored at the beginning of the opening.bnr file, the "IMET header". I don't know if the BRLYT tool can modify the IMET header, but if it does, you should be able to use that to copy the japanese name to the other languages' slots. If the tool can't handle the IMET header, edit it with a hex-editor, but be sure to read up on the format or check a file from your region before you attempt that. There might be differences between the NTSC/J and PAL IMET header I do not understand, but I have found no such differences.

8. Muyfa666
    OP

Sweden
    Uh... you lost me early on there. So there is really no easy tool for this?

9. Helsionium

Austria
    Sorry...

to put it more clearly, I don't know what the BRLYT tool does and what it doesn't. Please experiment with the tool to find out whether it can change a channel's name. If not, search for a tool that can modify the "IMET header" of a channel banner. As I said, I haven't bothered with this subject much. Maybe another user is more knowledgable on this subject than I am.

10. madmikeuk

United Kingdom
    BRLYT is Banner metadata. And you're indeed correct, now you've jogged my memory I remember that it is the IMET header which handles channel names. I believe you can edit them by repacking the U8 archives with HowardC's U8 Tool.

11. Muyfa666
    OP

Sweden
    Ok, this sounds good.

Could you be a bit more specific pls?

How do I do this?

12. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    just get hte PAL wad and you'll be fine..!! [​IMG]

13. madmikeuk

United Kingdom
    I'll PM you.