• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this virus is so smart it knows the difference between night time and day time :P
this virus is so smart it knows the difference between 2 feet 6.2 feet and 8 feet :P
this virus is so smart it knows when obama has a party with 100+ people and 3 people sitting in a car :P
this virus is so smart it knows the difference between biden and a child wearing a mask :P
I suspect you and the virus happen to share the same iq =3

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dear lord, how low do the "arguments" against "fake science" vaccines have to go? This is really getting more and more ridiculous by the hour...

it's on the level of "if you die in a car crash with your seatbelt on, it's because fake science seatbelts don't protect you", like come on, you can do better than that peeps

Last edited by RocaBOT,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a joke too....

Q: How many liberals looked the other way when AOC put on her mask for a photo-op and took it off as soon as the picture was snapped?

A: All of them

They're vaccinated and outdoors. Nice try at a "gotcha" though.

Edit: She also put on the mask just before Ed Markey, 75 years old, came over.

Last edited by Lacius,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I got a joke too....

Q: How many liberals looked the other way when AOC put on her mask for a photo-op and took it off as soon as the picture was snapped?

A: All of them
You plague rats just don't get it. The rest of us were never gonna wait decades for you to get a goddamn clue. Some of us actually want a return to normalcy instead of just pretending we do for the sake of political posturing.

Last edited by Xzi,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You plague rats just don't get it. The rest of us were never gonna wait decades for you to get a goddamn clue. Some of us actually want a return to normalcy instead of just pretending we do for the sake of political posturing.

If you want to return to normalcy do it, Been on normalcy since day one. Were not going to comply.

Reactions: scroeffie1984

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you want to return to normalcy do it, Been on normalcy since day one. Were not going to comply.
No I understand that, you won't figure out how badly you've fucked up until you're literally on your death bed, and if this pandemic doesn't kill you off the next one probably will. Just don't bitch about it when some of us choose to ditch masks because we've already done our part to protect ourselves and our communities by getting vaccinated.

And hoo boy, if you think Republicans were mad about losing Georgia in this last election, just wait until Texas also flips blue because of COVID deaths. I'm sure you're really gonna be pulling out all the stops on conspiracy theories after that.

Last edited by Xzi,

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And hoo boy, if you think Republicans were mad about losing Georgia in this last election, just wait until Texas also flips blue because of COVID deaths. I'm sure you're really gonna be pulling out all the stops on conspiracy theories after that.

10/1 on odds they'll cry voter fraud again. That seems to be the go to response to anyone they don't like getting elected.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been on normalcy since day one. Were not going to comply.
These are the second-to-last words of many of the 550 Americans (and rising) dying of COVID-19 each day. Their actual last words are along the lines of "please give me the vaccine" and "I regret not getting vaccinated."

Your words are as sad as they are foolish.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will you get the covid vaccine? And if so, which one - the RNA vaccine or the traditional one?

I'm scheduled to get the pfizer one soon. There have been very few reports of anaphylaxis so far, but it has been managed effectively with epinephrine.

What are your thoughts?
I've gotten both of my Pfitzer shots. The first one had no side effects but the second one I had chills for about 8 hours and then heat flashes for another 10 or so hours but I was eventaully fine after about 3 days.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And hoo boy, if you think Republicans were mad about losing Georgia in this last election, just wait until Texas also flips blue because of COVID deaths. I'm sure you're really gonna be pulling out all the stops on conspiracy theories after that.
I know it isn't as big as a flip, but at this rate, Florida could very well share the same fate.

Reactions: Lacius and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know it isn't as big as a flip, but at this rate, Florida could very well share the same fate.
Bugs has a different solution for dealing with Florida.

giphy.gif

Xen0

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys. About to get a vaccine. Laws and work kinda force me but whatever.

I'm sure there are experts here. Can you tell me the differences of J&J and BioNTech in Terms of side effects and probabilities? I know J&J only needs one shot and is less effective. More concerned about rare side effects (heart and stuff)

Reactions: Lacius and Dakitten

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
exact "probabilities" (the actual term is "incidence" here, in fact) are not known precisely, because that's what they are: rare. They depend a lot on the conditions of the people who get them, including any not-known infections going on at the time, allergies and so on. At any rate, if you're where your flag says you are, I would not be too worried, there's barely any record of anything that hasn't been recovered from fully with proper medical care after the vaccine in our regions.
With any new medication, including and especially new vaccines, there's always increased surveillance of any undesirable effects (regardless of whether they are linked to the new medication or not, in fact), so they can be treated accordingly immediately to avoid any grave outcome. It's in particular still unclear that some of the reported effects are really due to the vaccine, as numbers are comparable (sometimes even lower due to statistic fluctuations) to general population, so the only things we can undoubtedly link to those vaccines specifically are the more common ones: muscle aches, mild to medium fevers for the following ~48hrs, etc, as well as allergic reactions in some rare cases (usually immediate or in the ~15mn following the injection, which is why you stay in observation during that time)

Other more rare things may or may not be linked to it, we really don't know at the end of the day since the numbers are so similar to unvaccinated cases of the same effects, and you should be reporting anything unusual to your health authorities so it can be recorded and investigated anyway (and if it forebodes anything potentially harmful, so they can take care of you before it gets to that hopefully)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. About to get a vaccine. Laws and work kinda force me but whatever.

I'm sure there are experts here. Can you tell me the differences of J&J and BioNTech in Terms of side effects and probabilities? I know J&J only needs one shot and is less effective. More concerned about rare side effects (heart and stuff)
My understanding is the minor side effects (fatigue, etc.) are almost equally probable regardless of which vaccine you get. These side effects are normal signs that your body is building protection. If you get one of the mRNA vaccines, mild side effects are more likely after the second dose (unless you've already had COVID-19).

Anecdotally, I've heard a larger percentage of people who received one of the mRNA vaccines complain about side effects vs. people who received the J&J vaccine. Given the mRNA vaccines produce a more robust immune response, it would make sense that their side effects might be more likely.

The probability of serious side effects with the vaccines is so low that it probably isn't worth obsessing over. You can find more information in the three links below. The blood clots with the J&J vaccine mostly affect older females, and the heart inflammation issues with the mRNA vaccines mostly affect younger males. Both side effects are exceedingly rare regardless, but if you're playing the odds, and your main concerns are the serious side effects, you should maybe get the one unlikelier to affect your demographic group. In other words, get an mRNA vaccine if you're an older female, but get the J&J vaccine if you're a younger male.
In summary, these are the basic guidelines I would follow:
  1. Get whichever vaccine you can get the soonest.
  2. If you have a choice which vaccine you can get, and you can get them equally early, get one of the mRNA vaccines for the increased efficacy against COVID-19, unless there's a medical reason why you shouldn't.
  3. If your concerns are the serious side effects, even though they're extraordinarily rare, get the one less likely to affect you negatively.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've known for a long time that heart inflammation issues with the mRNA vaccines, while exceedingly rare, are more likely to affect younger males (older than 16) vs. other groups. We also know that blood clot issues with the J&J vaccines, while also exceedingly rare, are more likely to affect older females (younger than 50) vs. other groups.

These are not reasons to not get vaccinated, since they're extraordinarily rare, but if these very rare side effects are a concern to you, get the other vaccine. It should also be noted that these rare side effects, while potentially serious, are rarely life-threatening at this point now that we are aware of them.

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so let's debunk this real quick, luckilly the dailymail, while not very good at transcribing scientific studies, links to them in their articles so we can look at it first hand.
The conclusions of said study:

Conclusions and Relevance In this small case series study, myocarditis was diagnosed in children after COVID-19 vaccination, most commonly in boys after the second dose. In this case series, in short-term follow-up, patients were mildly affected. The long-term risks associated with postvaccination myocarditis remain unknown. Larger studies with longer follow-up are needed to inform recommendations for COVID-19 vaccination in this population.

Note that patients were mildly affected, that this is a small case series study which means it has little to no relevance statistically speaking, and that they acknowledge that themselves: The long-term risks associated with postvaccination myocarditis remain unknown. Larger studies with longer follow-up are needed to inform recommendations.

Hopefully it's clear enough that you need to go further than the title of the article before spewing nonsense in a spam of the same post all over again, @Valwinz

In conclusion, we have a suspicion that it may be related to the vaccine, but it may also not (15 patients with the number of actually vaccinated people is very close to the incidence of those heart inflammation in general population!)
And we are talking about it, we are treating it as a potential side-effect and monitoring it and getting those patients taken care of, so what's the f*****g problem? It's not like it's hidden under the carpet, or like people that are taking this into consideration were censored or silenced or anything. Quite the reverse in fact. But you are making a case of something that is neither that important nor that relevant.

Last edited by RocaBOT,
Reactions: ghjfdtg and Lacius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm good, how r u, sorry playing Starfield, n have tablet by me on chat, but was exploring a planet
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm good, how r u, sorry playing Starfield, n have tablet by me on chat, but was exploring a planet