• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so let's debunk this real quick, luckilly the dailymail, while not very good at transcribing scientific studies, links to them in their articles so we can look at it first hand.
The conclusions of said study:

Note that patients were mildly affected, that this is a small case series study which means it has little to no relevance statistically speaking, and that they acknowledge that themselves: The long-term risks associated with postvaccination myocarditis remain unknown. Larger studies with longer follow-up are needed to inform recommendations.

Hopefully it's clear enough that you need to go further than the title of the article before spewing nonsense in a spam of the same post all over again, @Valwinz

In conclusion, we have a suspicion that it may be related to the vaccine, but it may also not (15 patients with the number of actually vaccinated people is very close to the incidence of those heart inflammation in general population!)
And we are talking about it, we are treating it as a potential side-effect and monitoring it and getting those patients taken care of, so what's the f*****g problem? It's not like it's hidden under the carpet, or like people that are taking this into consideration were censored or silenced or anything. Quite the reverse in fact. But you are making a case of something that is neither that important nor that relevant.
From @Valwinz's own source:
  • None of the patients died or required intensive care, and all were out of the hospital within five days
  • The findings indicate heart inflammation is a serious risk for teen boys who get vaccinated, but it's a much lower risk than getting Covid itself

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys. About to get a vaccine. Laws and work kinda force me but whatever.

I'm sure there are experts here. Can you tell me the differences of J&J and BioNTech in Terms of side effects and probabilities? I know J&J only needs one shot and is less effective. More concerned about rare side effects (heart and stuff)
In terms of rare side effects J&J seems to cause more of them, primarily related to the cardiovascular system IIRC. It's also only 60-odd % effective, so I wouldn't stop taking precautions on odds slightly better than those of a coin toss. If you have the option to choose, choose the more effective option. I used to be a huge J&J advocate, but changed my mind based on numbers - the booster is inconvenient, but the efficacy is far superior. Now I only recommend J&J for those who have serious concerns about long-term effects of mRNA vaccines - it's better than nothing, but the other options provide objectively better protection.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I hear a bunch of people too stupid to understand:
  1. Masks help prevent the spread of the disease.
  2. It is in their best interest, and the best interest of those around them, to wear masks.
  3. We wouldn't be having to wear masks if they had gotten vaccinated.
So the mask can stop the virus it filters it?

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Valwinz does in these threads is post misinformation, get called out on it, refuse to back up his original 'source', and repeat. At least jimbo pretends to engage in actual debate. Id sayValwinz should just be ignored so he can stop getting the attention he clearly wants, but then he would just continue posting propaganda. When people ask why FB and Twitter need 'fake news' filters, its because of people like him.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least 3 studies so far have concluded surgeons masks and cloth masks do nothing measurable to prevent the spread of covid-19.

Off the top of my head one was danmask-19.

At least 1 study found using these types of masks might actually help it spread, I am guessing due to a false sense of security and leading people to believe they are safer in a situation they really should not be going into if they are worried about catching this. Or the fact that people keep touching their faces.

The virus can float for hours in a room without moving air, does anyone comprehend how small the particle size is to be able to accomplish this?

Post the studies

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave one of the study names. So anyone can google it. That was why I listed the name, I remember that one well. The others I don't recall but I am sure they can be found by searching they might even be linked on apcjournals.

This is for Danmask-19

Actually I cannot post links yet, so you can just google danmask-19 it should be in the top 3 hits.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586

Found it, thanks! The Danish report was actually inconclusive but correlated with masks being useful! Thank you for your misinformation ~

Maybe next time read the study and not just the hype headline?

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CDC also has documentation on their website showing RCT's that show surgical masks make no difference in the spread of influenza. And covid-19 is considerably more transmissible then influenza. The particle size is much smaller. (How it can stay airborne for hours)

So yes you will have to excuse me if I don't believe what they say now about Covid-19.

There have been at least 12 RCT's you can find in medical journals showing surgical masks make no noticeable difference in the spread of influenza.

A simple test you can do to show how effective your cloth or surgeons mask would be at prohibiting air borne covid-19 particles from entering your body:

Light a candle in an enclosed room and blow it out.

Smell that?

Now do the same with an N95 mask that is properly fitted to your face, you should NOT smell the candle after it is blown out if you have the mask on properly.

Now do the same with a surgeons mask. You will smell it 100%.

If you think a surgeons mask can block covid 19 from entering or leaving a surgeons/cloth mask but let the smell of smoke through then I don't know what to say. Do you know which one is smaller? It's not the smoke particles.

You seem to assume covid 19 is easily transmissible through the air after 6 feet of distance and a mask. This is part of why outside gatherings are more encouraged, and why mask mandates are returning. The function of a mask isn't to filter the air, it is to minimize fluid secretions, i.e. saliva and mucus, in contaminated folk. Also, correlation!= causation, and... well, Lacius added another fun link.

In summary, please stop spreading misinformation and learn from better sources.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CDC also has documentation on their website showing RCT's that show surgical masks make no difference in the spread of influenza. And covid-19 is considerably more transmissible then influenza. The particle size is much smaller. (How it can stay airborne for hours)

So yes you will have to excuse me if I don't believe what they say now about Covid-19.

There have been at least 12 RCT's you can find in medical journals showing surgical masks make no noticeable difference in the spread of influenza.

A simple test you can do to show how effective your cloth or surgeons mask would be at prohibiting air borne covid-19 particles from entering your body:

Light a candle in an enclosed room and blow it out.

Smell that?

Now do the same with an N95 mask that is properly fitted to your face, you should NOT smell the candle after it is blown out if you have the mask on properly.

Now do the same with a surgeons mask. You will smell it 100%.

If you think a surgeons mask can block covid 19 from entering or leaving a surgeons/cloth mask but let the smell of smoke through then I don't know what to say. Do you know which one is smaller? It's not the smoke particles.
"Smoke particles" are far smaller than the saliva droplets (which contain the virus) that masks are meant to block.

You're willfully misrepresenting and ignoring the science and the scientific studies on the CDC page. Why?

Reactions: popokakapetu

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covid particles can remain airborne in a room for hours, you did not know this?

Do you know how small something needs to be to remain airborne in a room for hours?

You seem to have not read what I wrote.

Hey man so let me get this straight.

Doctors that have been wearing masks in the operating room for the past century are just a bunch of dumbasses, right? Since the masks don't do anything and you clearly know better than them? What a bunch of stupid fucking doctors, am I right?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you know how small something needs to be to remain airborne in a room for hours?

Nobody is arguing that masks are 100% effective. That being said, COVID-19 is primarily transmitted by droplet inhalation, and masks help to reduce the odds of that happening. Masks, and mask mandates, are effective. Any argument to the contrary is willfully ignoring the science and the scientific studies.

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And you seen to not understand gradual diffusal, potency, and the fact that masks were never the total answer, but a proven effective way to minimize the virus. Seriously, what are you even advocating for? Mask removal because fk it nothing matters? Does this hurt you in some way?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these doctors working on positive covid-19 patients? You seem to be trying to tie two different things together. I am not arguing against the use of surgeons masks for other things.

I don't understand why you guys are ignoring the facts we know. We know it can be airborne and people can catch it, we know the particle size that is airborne, and we know what surgeons masks and cloth masks can filter up to.
And we know the primary source of infection is saliva droplet inhalation, and we know that masks are effective at reducing transmission. There is one person here who is ignoring facts, and it isn't us.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these doctors working on positive covid-19 patients? You seem to be trying to tie two different things together. I am not arguing against the use of surgeons masks for other things.

I don't understand why you guys are ignoring the facts we know. We know it can be airborne and people can catch it, we know the particle size that is airborne, and we know what surgeons masks and cloth masks can filter up to.

I'm not tying shit together. You said it yourself, masks don't work, so those doctors that have been wearing masks for the past century must be so fucking dumb. Maybe next time I'm at the dentist I'll ask him to take his mask off so he can cough right in my mouth too since the masks don't do anything to stop that. Dumb fucking dentists too, right? I can't believe we have a grade A medical genius in here.

You still haven't posted the studies. Put up or shut up.

I also can't wait to find out who you're an alt/sockpuppet for.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just argued above that Covid is not airborne basically.

And told me to quit spreading misinformation.

I then posted a direct quote from the EPA indicating it is airborrne.

Transmission of COVID-19 from inhalation of virus in the air can occur at distances greater than six feet. Particles from an infected person can move throughout an entire room or indoor space.

Who is spreading misinformation here?

Post a link to the EPA article that is saying that.

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just argued above that Covid is not airborne basically.

And told me to quit spreading misinformation.

I then posted a direct quote from the EPA indicating it is airborrne.

Transmission of COVID-19 from inhalation of virus in the air can occur at distances greater than six feet. Particles from an infected person can move throughout an entire room or indoor space.

Who is spreading misinformation here?

Your myopic focus on it being airborne is impressive. And also sad. Nobody questioned if it was airborne, but we are pointing out the fact that the PRIMARY transmission medium is fluid, which masks help to protect against. Please, just stop. This is getting silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q