Cooling down a laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Gaisuto, Dec 18, 2007.

Dec 18, 2007

Cooling down a laptop? by Gaisuto at 11:00 AM (766 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Okay, I have been trying to play games on this Laptop. It plays them. Crappily, but it plays them. However the true problem comes with overheating. It constantly just shuts off, even just by playing MAME.

I have done everything I could think of, even flipping the damn laptop upside down and pointing the ceiling fan on full blast on the roasting bottom of it. According to Speedfan, the temperature isn't dropping at all from 71. I can still use it while it's flipped upside down and closed because I have it connected to a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

The one thing that's bothering me is that Speedfan is acting like this Laptop has no fans in it at all...please tell me that I really don't have a single fan on this...

[​IMG]

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    mabye you should buy a laptop cooling pad

also, i wouldnt use that on your lap without something that has high insulation (or the thing that blocks temperature change)

3. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I don't use it on my lap. Like I said now I have it upside down directly under a giant fan...[​IMG]
    And I shouldn't have to buy any more additional hardware when the ****ing thing should of came with it! [​IMG]

4. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    [​IMG]

Mabye your bios and junk doesnt support the S.M.A.R.T stuff it uses though

this is a desktop though

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    interesting program. can i use it to increase the speed of my fan? none of the options seem to incfluence it.

my PC seems to overheat alot /_\

6. wzeroc

Member wzeroc GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    well mate, why don't you buy a desk fan. you know, the one that has 3 speeds? yeah, that one. buy one, switch it on to speed 3 and point it to your laptop. that's what i did to my laptop. it works, though you'll have to make do with the fan sound.

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Don't worry about the diagnostics (or lack thereof), some laptops just don't have sensors in that those programs can use. Wouldn't surprise me if the temperature's wrong as well.

About heating: short-term solution but one of my friends swears by putting the laptop feet on stands / a pile of coasters that give it a 1-2 inch clearance between the laptop and the desk. The extra space for air to circulate dropped the average temperature by a good 10 degrees. Or something like that.

Edit: just out of curiousity I installed it, those boxes are mostly blank on mine too. For some inexplicable reason it thinks I have 2 fans running at 0rpm, even when the one fan I actually have is on. I'm not even going to go into the mess that is 9 temperature sensors :S