Hardware Hardware problem, PC shutting down.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

My PC is shutting down only while playing some games and I want to ask if anyone ever had a GPU overheating that causes the PC to shutdown?

Also my old PSU is from 2011 and has bad cables which already had a bit of voltage drop so yesterday I just bought a Corsair RM750X Shift, but now when I press the power button on the PSU and shut it off my the motherboard power go OFF instantaneously and I never had a PC where this happened unless changing the power settings in the bios.

Basically with all PSU's and PC's I ever had turning OFF the PSU power button the motherboard keeps having power for a few seconds and with my old Corsair AX750 that also happened but now with this new RM750X Shift it doesn't happen and I wonder if it's normal?

I already have the PC shutting down problem for many years but it was so rare like 1 time in a year that it was always fine for me, but got worse however the cables on the old PSU were all bad and voltage would drop so I had to keep messing with the cables until I get full voltage and kept working for all this time, but lately it just keeps shutting down.

This problem already came from 3 different motherboards and 3 different CPU's...

Yesterday I thought on GPU being bad since it run from day 1 always at max temperature downclocking at 87Cº and have been at 87Cº on all games since day one when RX480 released, this is a Strix RX480 OC which has a badly poorly designed cooler sadly, I also already changed it's thermal paste 3 times (I think the latest one in it is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut). Basically I put in a burn-in test and I stop the 3 GPU fans and bam after a few seconds the PC shuts down, doing it in software setting fans to 0 while in burn-in test the same happens.

ps: I thought pretty much any modern GPU for quite sometime would not go to meltdown point of shutting down since they all downclock pretty badly if temps go pretty bad, but my GPU might also have some other hardware problem, but in it's bios it indeed has a Shutdown temp of 91Cº but the GPU never goes beyond 87Cº because above like 85Cº it starts to downclock and 87Cº it it's bios max temp where it just keeps at that value and keeps throttling and basically even with the fans stop it shuts down while keep showing 87 on the software even though it might simply not be picking it up right...

Last edited by guily6669,

trillspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you repasted your gpu and you didnt apply enough paste you could have killed a part of the gpu, since there arent thermal sensors all over the die, only at certain points. like if a small section didnt get covered it couldve burnt out and reported normal thermals. how were you applying paste? psu is almost certainly fine for an rx 480 regardless of cpu

Reactions: guily6669

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to figure out if your computer use more than 750W.
It doesn't, the PSU just like my 2011 AX750 the fan even barely kicks in.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite;
I7 8700K currently at 4.7ghz on all cores (I will delid it later when I buy a new GPU and aim for 5+ghz);
2x 8GB DDR4 from G.skill 3600 (only tweaked timmings super quickly and fully tested with memtest all night with 0 issues, will later further tweak it after delidding the CPU);
1TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD + Seagate 2TB HDD;
2x 200mm fans + 2x 140mm fans + 1x120mm fan + 2x 120mm fans on the CPU cooler;
Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 pcie sound card (it's working badly lately but I also tested without it and shuts down the same).

ps: Basically it only has a super minor OC, but I already tried with default bios settings and it's all the same.
if you repasted your gpu and you didnt apply enough paste you could have killed a part of the gpu, since there arent thermal sensors all over the die, only at certain points. like if a small section didnt get covered it couldve burnt out and reported normal thermals. how were you applying paste? psu is almost certainly fine for an rx 480 regardless of cpu
Nop, I made sure to always do a proper job, I always fully spread the thermal paste covering the entire die in a perfect spread, I mean I already change thermal paste since late 90's...

This GPU cooler is badly designed, basically it's direct-die contact but from the 5 heat pipes only 3 make contact with the die and only 2 actually have full contact, the third only picks a small corner. Sadly this only have been fixed with Strix RX580 that has a very similar (almost the same exact cooler) but they ended up putting a plate to spread the heat across all 5 heat pipes.

ps: I'm gonna wait for the new Arctic MX-6 to arrive to change again to see if I can take a bit more life out of the old sucker, the cooler is still clean and barely has dust cause I keep cleaning it and maybe will oil the fan bearings if they aren't a pain in the ass to do.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't, the PSU just like my 2011 AX750 the fan even barely kicks in.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite;
I7 8700K currently at 4.7ghz on all cores (I will delid it later when I buy a new GPU and aim for 5+ghz);
2x 8GB DDR4 from G.skill 3600 (only tweaked timmings super quickly and fully tested with memtest all night with 0 issues, will later further tweak it after delidding the CPU);
1TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD + Seagate 2TB HDD;
2x 200mm fans + 2x 140mm fans + 1x120mm fan + 2x 120mm fans on the CPU cooler;
Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 pcie sound card (it's working badly lately but I also tested without it and shuts down the same).

ps: Basically it only has a super minor OC, but I already tried with default bios settings and it's all the same.

It is under 750W so that isn't the problem, what happen if you don't overclock, does it still crash?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is under 750W so that isn't the problem, what happen if you don't overclock, does it still crash?
It's explained above in terms of CPU+ram, without OC it still shuts down, but I never actually tried to downclock the GPU, I mean it's barely enough for gaming much less with reduced clocks :D

And off course it always thermal throttles from factory since day one too already which is a pile of crap and sadly I thought could be just the stock thermal paste being bad, but Arctic MX-4, MX-5 or Kryonaut barely made a difference to the stock paste which actually wasn't too bad and not one of those dry ones even after like 2 or 3 years of use :ph34r:

The only thing I could do is go Metal Liquid as a temp reduction for the GPU, but that's something nasty that I won't do it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I still have the questions if anyone had\have a GPU that overheats to the point of shutting down the PC and the fact that with this brand new PSU if I turn it's switch OFF it kills the motherboard power instantaneously which doesn't happen with my old PSU.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's explained above in terms of CPU+ram, without OC it still shuts down, but I never actually tried to downclock the GPU, I mean it's barely enough for gaming much less with reduced clocks :D

And off course it always thermal throttles from factory since day one too already which is a pile of crap and sadly I thought could be just the stock thermal paste being bad, but Arctic MX-4, MX-5 or Kryonaut barely made a difference to the stock paste which actually wasn't too bad and not one of those dry ones even after like 2 or 3 years of use :ph34r:

The only thing I could do is go Metal Liquid as a temp reduction for the GPU, but that's something nasty that I won't do it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I still have the questions if anyone had\have a GPU that overheats to the point of shutting down the PC and the fact that with this brand new PSU if I turn it's switch OFF it kills the motherboard power instantaneously which doesn't happen with my old PSU.

Temp target is 80 C, max is 90C, so im guessing you are hitting the max, you need better cooling, what is your room temperature?

Reactions: AncientBoi

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Temp target is 80 C, max is 90C, so im guessing you are hitting the max, you need better cooling, what is your room temperature?
I don't know room temp as I only have a laser thermometer but online it says 22Cº ambient temp at the moment and it's probably very similar since I have my door open to the living room and both the window there and in my room are all open.

There isn't much I can do to improve cooling effectively because this case already has monster airflow and it's also clean (This is a Nox Hummer Nova), it's a fully wide open case everywhere and has the massive 200mm fans which are quiet but still have good fresh air moving inside all over the place even though they are far from the highest CFM that I have even compared to some old 120mm.

The only downgrade I made was going from a old high CFM fan to yesterday a Arctic P12 PWM which is super quiet compared to my old jet loud fan, but the old also blasted my face with a lot of air as it has much bigger airflow and the higher pressure from the Arctic is pointless on the rear of my case since the holes are very wide open so the older fans are all better at moving huge amounts of air, but it's all very similar in temps anyway and already had the shutdown problem for many time before though it just went completely bad more recently...

I can maybe is just attach a 120mm on the side of the GPU, but that would suck so badly LOL.

I'm disapointed is with this brand new Corsair RM750X Shift that I paid above 170€, the quality is low compared to my old Corsair AX750 and the cables on the PSU side are a joke super tiny and not gold plated compared to my old Corsair with big pins, gold plated and even included a Corsair BAG with the cables and premium box :(

It also makes a annoying click sound when shutting down the PC which my 2011 AX750 is super soft...

ps: If I only knew the GPU was the problem 2 days ago I would have saved 180€ from the new crap Corsair RM750X Shift which is worse than my 2011 AX750 in almost everything:whip:

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a speculation, my assumption is the system's fail safe is triggering due to the temperatures? From what I understand Sensors aren't 100% accurate, but pretty close so give or take 1% difference. It could be reaching 90C near the die, or have hot spots due to old paste? When was the last repaste? MX-4 claims to last 8 years.

also running hardware at high temp constantly can degrade the chip overtime. Ideally it's best to stay below 85C at full load.

Last edited by Kazesama,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a speculation, my assumption is the system's fail safe is triggering due to the temperatures? From what I understand Sensors aren't 100% accurate, but pretty close so give or take 1% difference. It could be reaching 90C near the die, or have hot spots due to old paste? When was the last repaste? MX-4 claims to last 8 years.

also running hardware at high temp constantly can degrade the chip overtime. Ideally it's best to stay below 85C at full load.
I really love Arctic MX series I have been using since MX2 back in like 2008 and I actually believe their 8 year warranty in use because I used once for 5 years some old one and was still pretty good.

I really had trouble was with MX-5, now I really don't remember if I changed the thermal Grizzly kryonaut on the GPU or not.

I'm thinking it's one of 2 reasons, either Kryonaut is garbage and after 2 years in use is going completely bad or I might have changed it to MX-5 which is garbage and I don't recommend it because mine after using once, the 2nd time I opened just a few months after it only came a lot of clear liquid and the blue paste came all dry like bubble gum, while I still have a huge syringe of MX4 from like 2018 that I used many times and still looks fresh almost like day one and super easy to spread.

I'm now waiting for Arctic MX-6 to arrive to see if the GPU will work without shutting down.

Anyway I set the GPU to 1150mhz only and 60% speed and played for a few hours without shutting down but even at such settings it was still hitting 87C° which is totally not normal, something went pretty bad recently that the thermal paste must have dried pretty badly 😡

Reactions: Kazesama

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
87C is high. My fanless GT 1030 GPU runs around that temp lol (not in the same ball park of specs, but you know what I mean)

yea I use MX-4 that was bought back in 2012. Still use it to this day. Re-pasted all my consoles and PCs with it, never had any issues.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
87C is high. My fanless GT 1030 GPU runs around that temp lol (not in the same ball park of specs, but you know what I mean)

yea I use MX-4 that was bought back in 2012. Still use it to this day. Re-pasted all my consoles and PCs with it, never had any issues.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.
I have is a GT730 fanless crap, but I only tested it, never used it, it basically came free since I bought a 3770K + Sabertooth Z77 + 16GB ddr3 + Nvidia GT730 for like 150eur more than half a year ago just before buying the current used 8700K.

I only needed the CPU but they kept selling the 3770K for around 100eur back then so it was a damn nice deal and I have a Asus Sabertooth P67 and loved the sabertooths that I really wanted the Z77 for collection purpose :D

Arctic MX-2 to MX-4 are amazing and my all time favourite. MX-5 went pretty bad for me.

Hope the upcoming MX-6 is good but I don't trust the 8 year in it compared to MX-4 since it's a bit drier paste from day 1.

Ps: I also used Kryonaut on my Nintendo Switch and I'm thinking I will probably have to open it up again or it will eventually happen like my GPU, wished I used MX-4 instead...

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice GT730, I also have a GT710, great for retro gaming on windows xp machine.

Oh I didn't know about the MX-5, thanks for the info.. I was thinking of stocking up another tube of MX-4 50G.. since the one I bought before pretty much lasting me a decade of use.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just opened the GPU, it seems I ended up cleaning the Kryonaut and used MX-5 and that was the problem which mine was bad.

Now the die seems to be starting to crack on the surface or might be just scratched though I don't think I ever scratch it. Hope it will still work fine until I can buy a new Graphic card.

Ps: I'm going to the store later to pick Arctic MX-6, hope it doesn't suck like MX-5 or I'm going to use MX4...

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just opened the GPU, it seems I ended up cleaning the Kryonaut and used MX-5 and that was the problem which mine was bad.

Now the die seems to be starting to crack on the surface or might be just scratched though I don't think I ever scratch it. Hope it will still work fine until I can buy a new Graphic card.

Ps: I'm going to the store later to pick Arctic MX-6, hope it doesn't suck like MX-5 or I'm going to use MX4...
Dang that sucks, it may still work as long as the damage doesn't get any worst. could be a hairline crack/split. I've had CPUs chipped around the corners due to me applying to much pressure on the heatsink (older CPUs without lids).

Not sure if you can set a temp limit, not familiar with AMD tools/drivers.
I would adjust that so if it gets too hot, it will throttle down.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang that sucks, it may still work as long as the damage doesn't get any worst. could be a hairline crack/split. I've had CPUs chipped around the corners due to me applying to much pressure on the heatsink (older CPUs without lids).

Not sure if you can set a temp limit, not familiar with AMD tools/drivers.
I would adjust that so if it gets too hot, it will throttle down.
Seems to be working fine, now I can have full clocks back, though I only played for a hour or so, but still no shutdowns B-)

About this AMD GPU, it already downclocks it self by default somewhere above 80Cº and never let it go higher than 87Cº though with the bad MX-5 I had it was clearly going pretty bad that even throttling a lot it was shutting down which is set to 91Cº though the software would always ever report max temp of 87Cº.

About the die, it might be just scratches, it's hard to tell cause I have a cracked I7 3770K and is even harder to see anything to the naked eye, it's clearly visible if I bend the CPU PCB with my fingers but I didn't crack it by overtightening instead was so dumb, basically I went direct-die but was getting bad mounting pressure and bad temps so I pushed the big air cooler towers to the sides and temps were changing like nuts, I pushed them with a bit of strength and kaboom, cracked it, if I had a cooler that would mount with 4 screws it would have worked fine, but the cooler I was using only worked fine vertically and then horizontally it moved all over the place :(...

Arctic MX-6 is really making some difference for the MX-4 and the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut when I had them in the GPU.

But I still didn't like that despite MX-6 going back to gray like the good old MX series contrary to the blueish garbage on the MX-5, it's still a much drier thermal paste than MX-4 and a bit harder to spread, I don't believe this paste will last many time like the good old ones before the crap MX-5...

For anyone not wanting to have to keep opening stuff specially consoles my recommendation is only one, Arctic MX-4:bow:

ps: I'm so pissed is with the 180€ wasted on the garbage PSU Corsair RM750X Shift which is worse than my 2011 Corsair AX750:whip::hateit:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Hi folks