Waking laptop with external monitor

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I managed to connect a portable monitor to my laptop for my setup, and figured out how to close the lid and have the laptop's screen off when using the monitor. Now, for waking up the laptop without opening the lid, and have it project to my portable monitor is my next step. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, and would like to either press space or jiggle the mouse to wake the laptop up. How can I do this? Right now, I have to press the power button on my portable monitor, and sometimes, there's static. It's kind of strange. Anyway, if someone could assist, that will be great! Thank you.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending upon the laptop it may have a docking station option available which has an external power button. Modern docking stations for many things are a glorified USB hub though.

That said usually somewhere in power settings is something like "allow USB devices to wake from sleep", or in hardware settings for that device will be an option to "allow this device to wake from sleep".

If going into crazy territory then I do also have to note things in the world of wake on LAN. This would allow you to send a packet from a phone or whatever has network really to have it wake up. That said theoretically it is not crazy but the realities tend to make it so, maybe you are one of the lucky ones though.

On static (presumably coming from the speakers) then yeah it is a thing you tend to expect -- things doing self tests on power on, or having current rush in to charge (or discharge). Annoying (perhaps even more so if your computer announces your entrance loudly when you need to look up something at 3am in a full house) but nothing to worry about in the overwhelming majority of cases. Fixing it can either head down deep into electronics (if this is some only occasional induced stray voltage from a nearby circuit then... that is often the how boys become men of electrical designing) or maybe some kind of time delay circuit gets used -- you tend to see that more in automotive audio setups where Mr £5000 of audio gear in a £2000 car does not want a pop when starting it up and has some fun with preamp setups and delaying switches.

Reactions: neko_koneko

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply. I will give these two settings you suggested a try. The static is actually on my monitor sometimes when turning it on. I am guessing it is because I am using the power button and other things to get this to work. Anyway, I'll be back with an update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto