Laptop Power Limit Throttling

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any idea what I can do to try and avoid this? I noticed I was being thermal throttled so took my laptop apart and realized the fins from the heatsink were plugged with dust. Cleaned them out and applied new paste. Got my idle temps down to 33C. Not to bad as it was around 38-40C before cleaning. Then I realized I'm now having a different issue with throttling. No matter what I do it seems that this thing keeps hitting it's power limit and throttling down to 3.5Gzh from 4Ghz. Played with throttlestop and no matter what setting I change it just doesn't seem to make any difference.

Laptop is an MSI GE65 Raider 9sd with an i7 9750H. From what I've read this cpu has a 45w TDP but when in throttle stop the power limit seems to be at 200? It's also the same in the Intel tuning utility. When attempting to bench just to see if I can get it to stop from doing this no matter what numbers I set the power limits to it seems to still keep kicking in. I don't think it's done this before but at the same time never really benchmarked it before.
Post automatically merged:

Found a hidden bios menu with lots of settings I didn't know existed on this machine. Going to play with the pl1 and pl2 states later today and see if I can figure out a way around what ever is limiting this thing.

Last edited by fringle,

Vine-gar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an amateur I would have been satisfied after just cleaning the dust and applying new paste. That'll help keep the life of the machine up by keeping the heat down.

I have a theory.

There's an excellent story I read once about programming a meat smoker/cooker and how the math was identical to something else. I can't find it, but the gist was: If you want to hit X°C then you can't stop applying heat only when the temperature sensor hits X°C. You'd overcook the meat! You have to reduce the heat you're putting into the smoker/cooker early so that the temperature lands at X°C and then stays there. The speed at which something is heated has to be factored in to the calculations.

It could be that the computer is reducing the amount of power because in a standard use case if the CPU hits Y°C then it's well on its way to hit a high temperature. There's also the possibility that the trigger to throttle the CPU isn't a temperature but some other metric.

From what I've read this cpu has a 45w TDP but when in throttle stop the power limit seems to be at 200?
200 what?

fringle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As an amateur I would have been satisfied after just cleaning the dust and applying new paste. That'll help keep the life of the machine up by keeping the heat down.

I have a theory.

There's an excellent story I read once about programming a meat smoker/cooker and how the math was identical to something else. I can't find it, but the gist was: If you want to hit X°C then you can't stop applying heat only when the temperature sensor hits X°C. You'd overcook the meat! You have to reduce the heat you're putting into the smoker/cooker early so that the temperature lands at X°C and then stays there. The speed at which something is heated has to be factored in to the calculations.

It could be that the computer is reducing the amount of power because in a standard use case if the CPU hits Y°C then it's well on its way to hit a high temperature. There's also the possibility that the trigger to throttle the CPU isn't a temperature but some other metric.

200 what?
It's not throttling due to heat anymore. I'm hitting a max temp of 80C when I attempt to run cinebench but always throttles when the power draw is more than 65w. It will dial it back to 55w and lower the cpu speed from 4.0 to 3.5ghz. It will not thermal throttle until the cpu reaches 95C or higher. I played a bit with the Power Limit and TDP settings in the BIOS but couldn't get it to do what I wanted so just said screw it. It runs fine, but not being able to get he most of it when I know it can do more is annoying me.

And the 200 is Watts. That's the limit set by MSI in the bios but something else is kicking in, probably some stupid power saving feature in Windows that overrides it. It may also be my power adapter not able to supply enough due to it only being 180Watt.

zoyaa10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Also going to try and play with the tdp settings to see if that helps. Depending on the settings you have in BIOS, you may be able to adjust the power limit to an amount more suited to your laptop's cooling system. Additionally, you can try setting a lower TDP in BIOS to reduce the thermal load and prevent power throttling. Additionally, you may want to consider increasing the fan speed to improve cooling and reduce thermal throttling. Finally, keeping your laptop clean and dust-free will also help improve cooling and reduce the likelihood of thermal throttling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cool. I got Prime
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    prime deez nuts
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies :D put 'em here :O
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The mutated Axolotl was awesome
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bet you don't pirate game either
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They really wanna get the head
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    legit nobody irl knows I'm trans(it hasn't been long enough yet)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Be really careful out there. There are people who use trans people to their advantage, and its really sad in general. :(
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    also scary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Nobody is safe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    im still curious as to what a chaser is tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, A chaser is someone who uses (mostly trans) individuals to their advantage, stuff that they are uncomfortable about.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    thats weird
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: thats weird