Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

All is confirmed the Nintendo Switch is powered by stock Nvidia Tegra X1, same chipset used in Shield TV. The most surprising is the retention of 4 Cortex A53 processor cores, which have no use in the Nintendo switch as they can't be operated at the same time when Cortex A57 cores are running due to the ARM big.little configuration setup.

main-unit-6.jpg

Nvidia-T210.jpg

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/

Nvidia Tegra X1 features
  • 8 core CPU (4 x Cortex A57 and 4 x Cortex A53)
  • GPU is a GM20B Maxell core

A comparison to Shield TV. Switch specs on the left, and Shield TV on the right. The clock speeds are reported from Eurogamer, which are very much true.

• RAM: 4GB vs 3GB
  • CPU: 1Ghz vs. 2Ghz
  • GPU: 3 modes:307.2Mhz/384Mhz/768Mhz vs 1Ghz

Shield TV is clocked higher initially in both CPU and GPU, but don't forget Shield TV can't keep these clock speeds up for long, it throttles down to the exact switch's dock clockspeeds. Which further supports a stock X1.

Last edited by heartgold,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I love Nvidia, I have had both Nvidia and AMD chipsets and I've had nothing but problems and hate for AMD. I really hope the Switch does well and Nvidia, Nintendo, and that semi conductor company that made the chips (I forget their name), I hope they all make enough money to do it again with the Switch+.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/287...-to-know-about-nvidias-new-tegra-x1-chip.html

Reactions: TimX24968B

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I didnt say it was the same chip did I?
Still, it's a stupid comparison.
If you wanna prove something with this actually pretty bad article that is opinion based more than anything, it would be something a Maxwell chip or at least a Pascal (That is the latest one).
Nvidia Shield isn't a Switch. A Mac isn't a PC. An apple isn't a banan.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Nvidia, I have had both Nvidia and AMD chipsets and I've had nothing but problems and hate for AMD. I really hope the Switch does well and Nvidia, Nintendo, and that semi conductor company that made the chips (I forget their name), I hope they all make enough money to do it again with the Switch+.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/287...-to-know-about-nvidias-new-tegra-x1-chip.html
Forgive us the PC talk, but yeah I have an AMD GPU and was warned about driver issues before hand by a friend, and while it kicks almost every games ass, I have had a fair share of driver issues. My next GPU I think is going to be Nvidia.

Reactions: TimX24968B

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still, it's a stupid comparison.
If you wanna prove something with this actually pretty bad article that is opinion based more than anything, it would be something a Maxwell chip or at least a Pascal (That is the latest one).
Nvidia Shield isn't a Switch. A Mac isn't a PC. An apple isn't a banan.

Actually I can run Windows on a Mac and I can run MacOS on most PCs. So...

But that for a different thread.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Actually I can run Windows on a Mac and I can run MacOS on most PCs. So...

But that for a different thread.
I know, but now I'm talking about without doing a loads of dirty hacks. Just boot and go.
Hell if we talk about OSes, I can run most on Hyper-V or VMWare.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Again with the K1? It's an android tablet. I can buy better once today and just put in a bluetooth controller. What exactly are you trying to prove with these?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes you can ;) It's just a pain in the arse. Anyway, extremly off-topic. Sorry.

Please PM me your proof, I do this for a living and I have not seen anyone even come close on Hyper-V type 1 hypervisor, unless you actually bootcamp hyper-v on apple hardware.

Again I reiterate, no you cannot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What is going on here? Ha! It's turned into such a shit show. Is asking for a close too much right now?

Just another day on GBA!

D

Deleted-401606

What is going on here? Ha! It's turned into such a shit show. Is asking for a close too much right now?

I dont see anything wrong with this thread. Certainly isn't anywhere close to the worst thread on GBAtemp,and it certainly shouldn't be closed because one person doesn't agree with what nintendo has done with the switch. Maybe we should put a trigger warning on the thread and create safe spaces on GBAtemp where nintendo can't be criticized.

Reactions: DrkBeam

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Please PM me your proof, I do this for a living and I have not seen anyone even come close on Hyper-V type 1 hypervisor, unless you actually bootcamp hyper-v on apple hardware.

Again I reiterate, no you cannot.
Sorry, I mixed it up with Virtualbox. For Virtualbox you have to make a hackintosh install.

Reactions: Mr. Wizard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shy::blush: