Hacking Configurable USB Loader

frogman946

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to reboot the Wii if I want to load another ISO and play again.

Have you ever had this problem? Do you think this problem is caused by my harddisk?

Thx for your reply !
++[/quote]
As stated, this is a well known rev 13 bug. There are several workarounds. If you want to continue using rev 13, then when switching games push the Home button and then choose "Reset" . It will take you back to the Wii Menu and you won't get the bug. If the game just restarts when you do that (Nintendo published titles will), hold the power button on the remote and it should also go back to the Wii Menu rather than actually switching off. Either way will allow you to start another game easily and it takes only a second or two longer than selecting the Wii Menu option from the Home screen.

The alternate workaround is to use one of Hermes' IOSes instead. You can get instructions for installation and use here.

[/color]Does this only apply to usbloader-gx because the reset option does not appear in usbloader-cfg?
In the case of usbloader-cfg, how do you display the disk art which I believe is also downloaded with the covers?

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
@frogman946
what are you talking about?

Oh I wish waninkoko would put a note to his 13 release about it hanging the system if home + wii menu is used so we wouldn't get these questions 3 times a day. :|

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
frogman946 said:
Does this only apply to usbloader-gx because the reset option does not appear in usbloader-cfg?
In the case of usbloader-cfg, how do you display the disk art which I believe is also downloaded with the covers?
It applies to all loaders. I don't know what you mean by the reset option not appearing. You push the home button followed by reset in the game, not in the loader.

If you want to display disc art, add the line "cover_style=disc" to your config.txt or theme.txt file (whichever applies). You cannot display both disc art and cover art in the same theme at the current time.

frogman946

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
frogman946 said:
Does this only apply to usbloader-gx because the reset option does not appear in usbloader-cfg?
It applies to all loaders. I don't know what you mean by the reset option not appearing. You push the home button followed by reset in the game, not in the loader.

If you want to display disc art, add the line "cover_style=disc" to your config.txt or theme.txt file (whichever applies). You cannot display both disc art and cover art in the same theme at the current time.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry, my bad.

I can't get the disc art to display even though I added the line to the config.txt.
My SD card looks like this (only what relates to usbloader-cfg):
Root
/apps/usbloader-cfg/
/usb-loader/config.txt

PS, A suggestion if I may; the ability to turn on the .002 fix globally in usbloader-cfg r35. That would not hurt, would it?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Method for converting USB Loader GX themes to Configurable USB Loader themes:
I'm only doing this method for 4:3 mode, it shouldn't be too hard to work out how to make it work in widescreen

Download a USB Loader theme and get the following files:
background.png
settings_background.png
gxtheme.cfg

Choose which of the two backgrounds would look better as the gui background and copy it to bg_gui.png.
Create a theme.txt file that looks like the following. Look in gxtheme.cfg for the replacements mentioned (if they aren't there, use the defaults):

Code:
covers=1
# replace the numbers with the gamelist_coords option from gxtheme.cfg
console_coords=200, 40, 396, 280
# read README-CFG.txt to find a set of colors options that work with the background
colors=dark
# replace this with the covers_coords option from gxtheme.cfg
covers_coords=30, 78
cover_style=3d
covers_size=176,248
#Depending on theme, you may or may not want to comment the following line
console_transparent=1

Initial tests sort of work, but the coordinates for the game list seem a little off. Perhaps try Adding about 20 pixels to both the first two numbers in the console_coords option if it doesn't look right.

@oggzee, there seems to be a bug with the console drawing for some values of console_coords. E.g., with the settings above, the console area of the games list seems to be less wide than the header and footer and things seem a little off.

And now for something completely different:
frogman946 said:
I can't get the disc art to display even though I added the line to the config.txt.
My SD card looks like this (only what relates to usbloader-cfg):
Root
/apps/usbloader-cfg/
/usb-loader/config.txt
If you are using a theme, you need to add it to the relevant theme.txt. Also, if there is a config.txt in your apps/usbloader-cfg directory, edit that one. Make sure the option is the last one.

QUOTEPS, A suggestion if I may; the ability to turn on the .002 fix globally in usbloader-cfg r35. That would not hurt, would it?
It's already there, according to README-CFG.txt. Add "fix_002 = 1" to your config.txt.

WiiModWiis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys regarding the themes, all ya'll rock. I'm gonna try all those ideas. It'd be awesome if Configurable loader had it's own site like the GX theme site. I got jealous looking at it, but I like the idea of being able to customize everything which is why I'm sticking with this one.

andyselects

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible to add a couple of buttons 1 that would take you to the Wii Menu and 1 that would take you to the Homebrew channel?

I have preloader setup to directly boot into this loader but can't get back to the other menus without powering off the Wii and entering preloader again.

Many thanks for all your work so far on this.

EDIT :- I've noticed you can do home=exit in the config. This might be good enough.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v35c (bugfix release)

http://sharebee.com/2b067f9e
(also available in online updates)

* Stability improvements for games that require alt.dol.
Fixes freezes and glitches in MOH2, FIFA08 (maybe others as well)

(Thanks to isostar for reporting the problem and testing the fix.)

brand0dotcom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
made a theme from from the supergirl artwork that someone used for usb loader GX. looks pretty cool. here's the link. i dont have a capture card so someone else will have to make a screenshot if they like it. supergirl theme yo. lol i think my version looks way better. ;D

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
oggzee said:
cfg v35c (bugfix release)

http://sharebee.com/2b067f9e
(also available in online updates)

* Stability improvements for games that require alt.dol.
Fixes freezes and glitches in MOH2, FIFA08 (maybe others as well)

(Thanks to isostar for reporting the problem and testing the fix.)

Stability fix is very good and important ! Really thanks !!!

Hope this fix the occasional stutter (and freeze) in WiiSports Resort.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
brand0dotcom said:
made a theme from from the supergirl artwork that someone used for usb loader GX. looks pretty cool. here's the link. i dont have a capture card so someone else will have to make a screenshot if they like it. supergirl theme yo. lol i think my version looks way better. ;D
Add the line "home=screenshot" in your config.txt, and cfg UL will take its own screenshot for you when you push the home button (the file goes into sd:/usb-loader).

DonTlaloc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
brand0dotcom said:
i dont have a capture card so someone else will have to make a screenshot if they like it.

You can make a screenshot from the loader. Just set 'home = screenshot' in your config.txt.

DonTlaloc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here are three new themes:

Evil_Monkey_3D

Iceberg_3D

Match_3D

and an old one where the previous link disappeared (or I forgot where it was
rolleyes.gif
)

Pearson_3D

All of them have 4:3 and 16:9 versions for both GUI and console (screenshots are from 16:9 console).

brand0dotcom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
brand0dotcom said:
Add the line "home=screenshot" in your config.txt, and cfg UL will take its own screenshot for you when you push the home button (the file goes into sd:/usb-loader).

sweet, thanks for the heads up. i'll put up a screenshot when i get home from work this afternoon.

Brandon

Wii Warrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting a exception dsi code dump after installing games.

It happens straight after pressing A to eject.
I would say it happens intermittently but roughly about 1 out of every 3 games I install to the loader.

It has done it over the last few releases (cant comment on releases before the last 2 weeks)

Does it with waninkokos v10 and also Hermes 222

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Wii Warrior said:
I would say it happens intermittently but roughly about 1 out of every 3 games I install to the loader.
It has done it over the last few releases (cant comment on releases before the last 2 weeks)

A few questions
smile.gif

1. can you send me the STACK DUMP numbers?
(or a snapshot of the screen)

2. does the installed game work fine anyway?
3. has the wiimote turned off by the time the game installs (before you press A)
4. does it crash if you press B instead of A and eject the DVD manually?
5. are you using background music?
6. how many games do you have installed?
7. if you think of other useful info let me know
smile.gif

Wii Warrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
Wii Warrior said:

A few questions
smile.gif

1. can you send me the STACK DUMP numbers?
(or a snapshot of the screen)

2. does the installed game work fine anyway?
3. has the wiimote turned off by the time the game installs (before you press A)
4. does it crash if you press B instead of A and eject the DVD manually?
5. are you using background music?
6. how many games do you have installed?
7. if you think of other useful info let me know
smile.gif

Putting some games on at the minute.

1= Next time it does it I will post the the STACK DUMP numbers
2= The installed games boot up and starts ok but haven't spent much time playing lately to busy installing games.
3= That is a definate possibility that it only does it when the wiiremote has turned off (will make a note on future STACK DUMPS)
4= Haven't tried that method yet I have just been resetting when it happens but will try it.
5= No music used at all
6= I have 70 games installed
7= All I can think of is I use standard blue theme & standard config file, I boot into cfg loader from homebrew channel (simple mode is on startup) using 35c

I will post more info as I get it.

EDIT = I have also had a few stack dumps straight after the install reaches 100% but they are approx 1 in 12 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!