Homebrew Discussion Community name vote / suggestions for Tinfoil

Do you think that blawar really did well renaming his project?

• Yes, his project deserves that name (it really hurts me to write this)

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • No, that only generated confussion on the community, but it's not really bad.

Votes: 55 18.3%
  • No, that was a really bad idea!

Votes: 144 47.8%
  • I don't care at all.

Votes: 76 25.2%

• Total voters

oli.exe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Xor - Honestly, I would like to see original Tinfoil merged with NX-Shell or NSPower...

But name is I think the least of the project issue so I have to speak up...

I have been part of a few homebrew communities past few years and I have never seen such a childish behavior, I am not surprised that Adubbz left. Tinfoil literally stopped evolving in any way after his departure.
Regarding @blawar what a CLOWN. Didn't do anything to prove that he did not reuse any of the original Tinfoil code, Hosting a "closed-source" project on a GITHUB REPO (lmao what a poser), renaming a project to an already taken name out of spite - that is a perfect example of a person that is poisonous for the whole community. Hope he will get banned, because what he delivered over past few days was nothing but confusion and drama - devs like that are NOT helping in any way.

Tbh also - I am worried about Tinfoil. With a utmost respect, don't take that as an insult - But there is just a 0 progress on the project (At least from Xor side) since Adubbz left - just as on other XorTroll projects. I feel that is just too much to handle for a one person, and you have not displayed strong maintainability on the past projects to be honest. But hopefully, I am wrong :)

Best regards Xor.

edtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A month ago, there were three legitimate options for backup installing - tinfoil, dz, and dOPUS / n1dus. Since then, tinfoil’s author left and the project is being developed in private by someone new, the dz thread was locked and is under investigation, while the n1dus author literally disappeared into thin air.

As far as I can tell, most of this stems from dz’s author blawar being a dick - creating drama between dOPUS and tinfoil, and then with renaming dz to tinfoil, which is somehow even more egregious. I mean, the guy had a Pepe as the app’s icon for awhile, which should tell you everything you need to know about him.

Will an actual adult please stand up?

Last edited by edtemp,

WiiuGold

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A month ago, there were three legitimate options for backup installing - tinfoil, dz, and dOPUS / n1dus. Since then, tinfoil’s author left and the project is being developed in private by someone new, the dz thread was locked and is under investigation, while the n1dus author literally disappeared into thin air.

As far as I can tell, most of this stem’s from dz’s author blawar being a dick - creating drama between dOPUS and tinfoil, and then with renaming dz to tinfoil, which is somehow even more egregious. I mean, the guy had a Pepe as the app’s icon for awhile, which should tell you everything you need to know about him.

Will an actual adult please stand up?
To bad dz will still be the best installer out there :)

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
As for the rest, im sad you don't get it. But my expectations in this community are pretty low, it seems we are dealing generally with a lot of immature children who have never made anything in their lives, let alone dedicated enormous amounts of their personal time contributing to communities. Im not saying thats you, im saying thats my general impression seeing the toxicity here. Its doubly sad when an actual developer behaves this way, which I've seen an unfortunate abundance of in the nintendo scene.

I've been involved in the console hacking scene going on 20 years now, so my perspective is a lot more well rounded than the vast majority of participants here, including yourself I imagine. I had been running xbins for years before this site even existed, contributing in meanginful ways to the hacking scene.

The open source community is great. The ideology behind it is fantastic and it really helps to drive innovation and is extremely beneficial to the end user. It can also be extremely beneficial to developers as (if) when there is active open collaboration on the project it helps make the project better with less of one's personal resources spent, or it allows the resources to be more narrowly applied to focus on higher priority tasks. I've been involved in over a 100 homebrew projects personally and have watched the delegation process happen, and when its well organized you have people with specific area's of speciality working on different area's of the codebase. But thats not whats going on here....its the opposite.

What we have here is someone who (most likely) used open source code to create something, and then refused to post the source code because he know's its taken from the project he named his project after. So its a double slap in the face.

Imagine if you started a local business, then gave all your resources to an assistant, then that assistant opens up shop across the street using all your resources and names their business the same exact name as your business. If you cannot see whats wrong with that, then no one on the planet can make you understand because you live inside a tiny narrow box of thought where objectively rationalizing context doesn't exist.

This isn't some SJW endeavour. This is about community driven projects and behaviors that are toxic to that environment. You wouldn't throw rocks in someones glass house, and you shouldn't kick up the hornets nest. These are destructive behaviors that only lead to worse situations. If you care about the community then you would speak up against such malbehaviors.

The proper thing would have been to credit the open source code that blawar most likely used for his project, and to name his project his own name. But blawar apparently is socially dysfunctional and doesn't understand basic common sense agendas. I've known many developers like this, but usually these dev's hide their social dysfunction generally speaking, and keep their crazy thoughts to themselves and don't throw rocks in glass houses.

Yeah, that's the general feeling I've gotten as well. I don't know if it's because it's a Nintendo console or what, but I generally haven't seen this kind of behavior in other homebrew/scene communities. And yeah, you definitely have some years on me, I've only been involved for like... 6? years.

As for open source... it has it's ups and downs. It works great for some projects and for some things it just... doesn't. For some projects, people never commit/PR and instead steal the code. I typically don't open source something I plan on constantly working on because of this reason (or open source it to only a few people who I know will contribute). If I make something I may not keep up to date or feel finished with (or it's not something super complicated), I'll release it (like VideoSetupNX or LGMA/LGMAConsole).

In theory, open source is amazing. As usual though, it fails to factor in the worst variable - Human nature. If DZ does indeed use original tinfoil code, I can definitely understand the uproar. However, I haven't seen anyone throw it in IDA or anything else and show that it does (Like the TX stuff). I'm not saying it does or doesn't use the code, but I've yet to see any proof it does.

Xor - Honestly, I would like to see original Tinfoil merged with NX-Shell or NSPower...

But name is I think the least of the project issue so I have to speak up...

I have been part of a few homebrew communities past few years and I have never seen such a childish behavior, I am not surprised that Adubbz left. Tinfoil literally stopped evolving in any way after his departure.

I'm not surprised that anyone would leave this behind. It's crazy.

Of course there is no evolution on Tinfoil, because I haven't made any changes in the repository (except some pull requests), or at least publicly. I've been developing it in private.

Tbh also - I am worried about Tinfoil. With a utmost respect, don't take that as an insult - But there is just a 0 progress on the project (At least from Xor side) since Adubbz left - just as on other XorTroll projects. I feel that is just too much to handle for a one person, and you have not displayed strong maintainability on the past projects to be honest. But hopefully, I am wrong :)

Best regards Xor.

Xor, the issue most people have is (as I said before), you have a tendency to get something to a WIP state or beta state... and then just drop it to work on something else. So instead of having 1 or 2 amazing fully functional products, it becomes 6 - 7 so-so products that kind of work.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/playernx-finally-a-poc-homebrew-video-player.517429/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nspower-switch-title-installer-manager-and-more.513485/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-play-sysmodule-background-music-player-for-nintendo-switch.511844/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nxplay-multimedia-player-for-nintendo-switch.511277/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nspack-gui-for-hacpack-make-your-own-legal-nsps.519927/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gmswitch-play-classic-games-using-the-switch-browser.502339/

People are worried that this will happen to Tinfoil. Please finish your work on some of these things completely before moving on to another project. For example, PlayerNX/NSPower/NXPlay allowing us to browse/play video files with audio would make this one of the must-have killer switch apps.

Last edited by Miqote,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo