Here to say hello!

baku-chan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there; my name is baku-chan! I’ve stopped by this site a number of times throughout my travels and I’ve decided to make an account here (for many reasons that I’ll get to in a bit). Pleasure to meet everyone!

I have a number of interests that I’m sure that a lot of you can relate to here. Some of which include video games — Pokémon especially is a franchise that I’ve been really into for a long time — as well as things like writing, photography, and music. Speaking of that last one, I also really love video game music above all, to the point where I actually kind of prefer it over most popular music, haha. And out of all video music, I especially love sequenced video game music; the kind from eras long past when everything was done either in chiptune or on synthesizers, many of which I don’t think have really had their potential tapped out yet. Like, for instance, I think that sound chips like the Mega Drive/Genesis’s YM2612 and the SNES’s SPC700 have really gotten a lot of attention when it comes to authenticity in emulation and pushing the limits of the hardware, and that’s great! But I also think that later sample-based sound hardware like the Sega Saturn’s SCSP, the PS1’s SPU, the Dreamcast’s AICA, the PS2’s SPU2, or the GameCube and Wii’s DSP have been almost forgotten in comparison, or at least not taken as seriously when it comes to the idea of preserving the many legendary OSTs made for those chips as they truly were, or even when it comes to the idea of writing music for them, like we do now with YM2612 and SPC700-based homebrew music in an almost casual, taken-for-granted way that was unthinkable not too long ago!

Speaking of that, some of the projects that I’ve been working on in my spare time are attempts to rectify that; to help do for SCSP and SPU and AICA and SPU2 and DSP music what the community did for YM2612 and SPC700 music. Some more practical ways that I’ve been trying to do that include recording as much sequenced music from the 32-bit and later eras on real hardware as possible and in as high quality as possible, in order to preserve as much of said music as possible — again, as they actually were — without having to rely on OST releases (which are highly variable in quality and don’t always even include every song) or on emulation (which has been known to be a challenge to pull off accurately). That said, one crazy dream that I’ve been working to make into a reality is to make it possible to create homebrew sequenced music on the sound chips found in those 32-bit and later consoles; to turn them into epic music-making machines that inspire the imagination and push the limits of what’s possible on them, both technically and musically. That’s part of the reason why I’m here right now, actually, because while I have a vision, I’m not a programmer or anything like that, so I need help! And I know that there are some very knowledgeable people in this community who I’m hopeful might be able to help make my crazy dream possible, haha, and to help share that dream with others who might be interested in such a thing. Whether you’re a musician or a lover of video game music or just someone looking for a challenge — or if you’re some combination of all of the above! — then I’d love to make your acquaintance.

That’s about all I have for now, I think. I’ll hopefully see everyone around!

Reactions: CoolMe and DTApple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto