Homebrew Discussion Community name vote / suggestions for Tinfoil

Do you think that blawar really did well renaming his project?

• Yes, his project deserves that name (it really hurts me to write this)

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • No, that only generated confussion on the community, but it's not really bad.

Votes: 55 18.3%
  • No, that was a really bad idea!

Votes: 144 47.8%
  • I don't care at all.

Votes: 76 25.2%

• Total voters

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
It's more like this scene is making a new autistic spectrum. Who cares if DZ gets renamed to Tinfoil? XorTroll wasn't doing anything with it and will likely abandon it before making it great just like he always has done (spoilers: these are links) with his switch projects. This is not a dig at Xor - He makes great stuff. He just never polishes or works on it enough to iron out the bugs/make it perfect before hopping onto the next project.

The main reason for being upset about this is (I assume) wanting attention, which would also be the main big reason for having an issue with someone renaming their program to match yours. "Hi I'm XorTroll, I'm in charge of tinfoil development!" means a lot less when there's multiple tinfoil projects. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be recognized for something you put hard work into - However, XorTroll has put no changes in Tinfoil and the original author of Tinfoil, Adubzz, doesn't even care that DZ was renamed. So you gotta ask - Who are you guys all getting offended for?

On the other hand, renaming a well-named project like DZ to tinfoil, knowing that (one? two?) project(s) already exist using this name is just causing drama for the sake of drama. It's not something I would do or suggest because I think it's better for people to work together than fight over something dumb like this. I'll continue to use Xor and blawar's projects because they're both great, but christ you guys like fighting in this scene.

Also, I suggest XorFoil. Or NSPower. Or name it another another metal, like Aluminum.

I actually like Aluminum.

Xor - My suggestion would be to name the project Titanium. Make it vastly superior to the new 'Tinfoil', the same way that titanium is superior to tinfoil.

PS - You cannot trademark a name that has prior art. Clearly the same application with the same scope and same name already existed, hence prior art.

As for the rest, im sad you don't get it. But my expectations in this community are pretty low, it seems we are dealing generally with a lot of immature children who have never made anything in their lives, let alone dedicated enormous amounts of their personal time contributing to communities. Im not saying thats you, im saying thats my general impression seeing the toxicity here. Its doubly sad when an actual developer behaves this way, which I've seen an unfortunate abundance of in the nintendo scene.

I've been involved in the console hacking scene going on 20 years now, so my perspective is a lot more well rounded than the vast majority of participants here, including yourself I imagine. I had been running xbins for years before this site even existed, contributing in meanginful ways to the hacking scene.

The open source community is great. The ideology behind it is fantastic and it really helps to drive innovation and is extremely beneficial to the end user. It can also be extremely beneficial to developers as (if) when there is active open collaboration on the project it helps make the project better with less of one's personal resources spent, or it allows the resources to be more narrowly applied to focus on higher priority tasks. I've been involved in over a 100 homebrew projects personally and have watched the delegation process happen, and when its well organized you have people with specific area's of speciality working on different area's of the codebase. But thats not whats going on here....its the opposite.

What we have here is someone who (most likely) used open source code to create something, and then refused to post the source code because he know's its taken from the project he named his project after. So its a double slap in the face.

Imagine if you started a local business, then gave all your resources to an assistant, then that assistant opens up shop across the street using all your resources and names their business the same exact name as your business. If you cannot see whats wrong with that, then no one on the planet can make you understand because you live inside a tiny narrow box of thought where objectively rationalizing context doesn't exist.

This isn't some SJW endeavour. This is about community driven projects and behaviors that are toxic to that environment. You wouldn't throw rocks in someones glass house, and you shouldn't kick up the hornets nest. These are destructive behaviors that only lead to worse situations. If you care about the community then you would speak up against such malbehaviors.

The proper thing would have been to credit the open source code that blawar most likely used for his project, and to name his project his own name. But blawar apparently is socially dysfunctional and doesn't understand basic common sense agendas. I've known many developers like this, but usually these dev's hide their social dysfunction generally speaking, and keep their crazy thoughts to themselves and don't throw rocks in glass houses.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Titboil (painful they are)

Sewaclittome (in honour of various devs...)
Prii-Op (see above) - also homage to Priiloader
fucking political correctness...

Hormone

Multiman?

NSPwned?

Last edited by mattytrog,
Reactions: andyhappypants

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually like Aluminum.

Xor - My suggestion would be to name the project Titanium. Make it vastly superior to the new 'Tinfoil', the same way that titanium is superior to tinfoil.

PS - You cannot trademark a name that has prior art. Clearly the same application with the same scope and same name already existed, hence prior art.

As for the rest, im sad you don't get it. But my expectations in this community are pretty low, it seems we are dealing generally with a lot of immature children who have never made anything in their lives, let alone dedicated enormous amounts of their personal time contributing to communities. Im not saying thats you, im saying thats my general impression seeing the toxicity here. Its doubly sad when an actual developer behaves this way, which I've seen an unfortunate abundance of in the nintendo scene.

I've been involved in the console hacking scene going on 20 years now, so my perspective is a lot more well rounded than the vast majority of participants here, including yourself I imagine. I had been running xbins for years before this site even existed, contributing in meanginful ways to the hacking scene.

The open source community is great. The ideology behind it is fantastic and it really helps to drive innovation and is extremely beneficial to the end user. It can also be extremely beneficial to developers as (if) when there is active open collaboration on the project it helps make the project better with less of one's personal resources spent, or it allows the resources to be more narrowly applied to focus on higher priority tasks. I've been involved in over a 100 homebrew projects personally and have watched the delegation process happen, and when its well organized you have people with specific area's of speciality working on different area's of the codebase. But thats not whats going on here....its the opposite.

What we have here is someone who (most likely) used open source code to create something, and then refused to post the source code because he know's its taken from the project he named his project after. So its a double slap in the face.

Imagine if you started a local business, then gave all your resources to an assistant, then that assistant opens up shop across the street using all your resources and names their business the same exact name as your business. If you cannot see whats wrong with that, then no one on the planet can make you understand because you live inside a tiny narrow box of thought where objectively rationalizing context doesn't exist.

This isn't some SJW endeavour. This is about community driven projects and behaviors that are toxic to that environment. You wouldn't throw rocks in someones glass house, and you shouldn't kick up the hornets nest. These are destructive behaviors that only lead to worse situations. If you care about the community then you would speak up against such malbehaviors.

The proper thing would have been to credit the open source code that blawar most likely used for his project, and to name his project his own name. But blawar apparently is socially dysfunctional and doesn't understand basic common sense agendas. I've known many developers like this, but usually these dev's hide their social dysfunction generally speaking, and keep their crazy thoughts to themselves and don't throw rocks in glass houses.

A bit like radio amateurs... They are dysfunctional socially. I should know. Along with them Anime loving freaks... Pictures of little girls... wtf???

Reactions: andyhappypants

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everybody ( A little politeness here, never killed anyone.)
What is not currently working with tinfoil? We want to usurp the firmware of a maj? Is that possible, from a dlc? It's possible, so the interface is austere? Who cares? It's not a game, it's used to install things, and it's doing it well now, maybe improved? Yeah, so what's the problem? I'll pass my turn.
My name for tinfoil xor
It's CNIX.
Custom Nsp Install by Xor = CNIX

WiiuGold

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this scene...

Who cares if DZ gets renamed to Tinfoil? XorTroll wasn't doing anything with it and will likely abandon it before making it great just like he always has done (spoilers: these are links) with his switch projects. This is not a dig at Xor - He makes great stuff. He just never polishes or works on it enough to iron out the bugs/make it perfect before hopping onto the next project.

The main reason for being upset about this is (I assume) wanting attention, which would also be the main big reason for having an issue with someone renaming their program to match yours. "Hi I'm XorTroll, I'm in charge of tinfoil development!" means a lot less when there's multiple tinfoil projects. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be recognized for something you put hard work into - However, XorTroll has put no changes in Tinfoil and the original author of Tinfoil, Adubzz, doesn't even care that DZ was renamed. So you gotta ask - Who are you guys all getting offended for?

On the other hand, renaming a well-named project like DZ to tinfoil, knowing that (one? two?) project(s) already exist using this name is just causing drama for the sake of drama. It's not something I would do or suggest because I think it's better for people to work together than fight over something dumb like this. I'll continue to use Xor and blawar's projects because they're both great, but christ you guys like fighting in this scene.

Also, I suggest XorFoil. Or NSPower. Or name it another another metal, like Aluminum.
that is True!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Uremum was flapping hard.