Homebrew Commander Keen DS

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah... So... I can't run it. Even the demo, when I click on it I get this error message "Error in game", same for all the episodes even though I have all the files in "Episode 1", "Episode 2" and "Episode 3" folders.

Anyone know how I can get this to work?

P.S. I have a CycloDS.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Monochrome said:
Yeah... So... I can't run it. Even the demo, when I click on it I get this error message "Error in game", same for all the episodes even though I have all the files in "Episode 1", "Episode 2" and "Episode 3" folders.

Anyone know how I can get this to work?

P.S. I have a CycloDS.

have you tried loading it from DSorganize or Flashcard OS 2.1 (check the downloads section)

I don't have a CycloDS but those programs can often help to get homebrew to load
smile.gif

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Homebrew works... The error is "in game" and it's a game error message, not some random exception.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You need the game files from the original game.

Installing real ipsodes :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must copy all the *.CK* files in a directory and the .nds file in the same
directory.
For episode 1, files are like .CK1, for episode 2 CK2 and for episode 3 CK3.

WARNING ! ALL THE FILES MUST BE CAPITALIZES !

Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3
------------------------------------------------------------
CTLPANEL.CK1 CTLPANEL.CK2 CTLPANEL.CK3
EGAHEAD.CK1 EGAHEAD.CK2 EGAHEAD.CK3
EGALATCH.CK1 EGALATCH.CK2 EGALATCH.CK3
EGASPRIT.CK1 EGASPRIT.CK2 EGASPRIT.CK3
ENDTEXT.CK1 FINALE.CK2 FINALE.CK3
FINALE.CK1 LEVEL01.CK2 LEVEL01.CK3
HELPTEXT.CK1 LEVEL02.CK2 LEVEL02.CK3
LEVEL01.CK1 LEVEL03.CK2 LEVEL03.CK3
LEVEL02.CK1 LEVEL04.CK2 LEVEL04.CK3
LEVEL03.CK1 LEVEL05.CK2 LEVEL05.CK3
LEVEL04.CK1 LEVEL06.CK2 LEVEL06.CK3
LEVEL05.CK1 LEVEL07.CK2 LEVEL07.CK3
LEVEL06.CK1 LEVEL08.CK2 LEVEL08.CK3
LEVEL07.CK1 LEVEL09.CK2 LEVEL09.CK3
LEVEL08.CK1 LEVEL10.CK2 LEVEL10.CK3
LEVEL09.CK1 LEVEL11.CK2 LEVEL11.CK3
LEVEL10.CK1 LEVEL12.CK2 LEVEL12.CK3
LEVEL11.CK1 LEVEL13.CK2 LEVEL13.CK3
LEVEL12.CK1 LEVEL14.CK2 LEVEL14.CK3
LEVEL13.CK1 LEVEL15.CK2 LEVEL15.CK3
LEVEL14.CK1 LEVEL16.CK2 LEVEL16.CK3
LEVEL15.CK1 LEVEL80.CK2 LEVEL80.CK3
LEVEL16.CK1 LEVEL81.CK2 LEVEL81.CK3
LEVEL80.CK1 LEVEL90.CK2 LEVEL90.CK3
LEVEL81.CK1 SAVED1.CK2 SAVED1.CK3
LEVEL90.CK1 SAVED2.CK2 SAVED2.CK3
PREVIEW2.CK1 SAVED3.CK2 SAVED3.CK3
PREVIEW3.CK1 SCORES.CK2 SAVED4.CK3
PREVIEWS.CK1 SCORES.CK3
SCORES.CK1
SOUNDS.CK1
STORYTXT.CK1

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get this error too on my Cyclo......it worked the first time and I played a couple levels. First out of the demo portion, then out of Episode 1. Now I get this "error in game" message upon nearly all subsequent boots. Once, I got it to load the demo portion again and could play it, and once it loaded Episode 2, but I didn't actually play 2 because I was just seeing if it would load at all.

Something seriously flaky is going on here.

Is anyone in contact with the creator and could ask him what's going on?

Here's how mine is set up:

I created a folder called "Commander Keen" (maybe should be called CommanDSkeen?) and put the nds file in it. I also stuck all the CK1, CK2 and CK3 files in that same folder.....no sub-folders, just all inside the one. Like I said, it worked the first time......and randomly a couple other times, but mostly I just get "error in game". WTF!?

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, I made three folders in the root of my SD, named "Episode 1", "Episode 2" and "Episode 3" with all the needed files in each and it also doesn't run. I can't even play the demo.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
try to put the .ckx files (x is for 1,2 or 3) With the .nds file into one folder(without subfolders as episode 1).
but on the cyclo ds evolution, the game doesnt even start (only a lot of symbols on the bottom screen.)

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
juicemousezero said:
Anyone know where I can get all the needed .CK files? I dont have my old keen games laying around...

or a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive.
I'm not sure if that is along the lines of a ROM/warez request given the aged nature of the game. You know, gotta err on the side of caution and all.

I ended up downloading mine from someone else through a private hub. I'm surprised even one person had the files. But I too am facing difficulties here, and when it DOES run, the sound breaks quite a bit.

If anything, this is a good beta of sorts. At least there's proof it can be done, but hey, let's all give the author support so he can make it a kickass product. =P

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
3D Realms said:
Ordering Keen Vorticons

Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons is available in two formats from us. Please click on the version you wish to order:
CD-ROM that will be shipped to you - CLICK HERE (see note below)
Registered Download from our online store - CLICK HERE

CD-ROM NOTICE: Please note for that if you want to order just episodes 1-3 of Commander Keen, you must make use of the registered download. The CD-ROM contains Episodes 1-5 of Commander Keen, and is the only way to get Commander Keen shipped to you.
Quoted from here. The CD is $20 and includes the first five episodes, while the registered download is $10 and includes just the first three episodes. Only the first three are compatible with CloneKeen/CommanDSKeen.

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just deleted the thing.
Sprites are all fucked up due to the screen size... and that just killed my nostalgia boner. Still, everyone that loved Keen should try this out, they might even like it.

P.S. the screens at the website aren't screens from the DS game:

ep1.png

... I wish it looked like this.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I can tell you just from the resolution that that's not a DS screenshot. I agree that it'd be nice to have a zoom view instead of scaling the image, though. Keen should be entirely playable with some of the screen cut off, and it wouldn't be hard to set up a shortcut for screen scrolling. It's only the first version yet, give him a chance to add to it before you condemn it.

EDIT: Case in point, I just dropped Alekmaul a line, and he said he'd put a no-scaling mode on his to-do list, somewhere after fixing the sprite flickering.

Anubis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Little projects like these usually don't get past 1.0 so I though he just dropped the game. Anyway, good to know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!