Civilization VI for the Nintendo Switch will not have online multiplayer features

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Ask South Koreans why Starcraft is so popular.

2. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Shoot. I was hoping online would be available. I mean, I'll still play the heck out of it, but online would have been nice

3. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Luminary of Illustrious Colors

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    You can take over everyone for a domination victory, or become the world's dominant culture for a culture victory, or get voted Leader of the World in the World Congress for a diplomatic victory, or build the Apollo Space Program and fly to space before anyone else for a science victory, and I think they added a Religion victory in Civ 6. Multiple ways to play the game and win, all valid. One of the things I love about Civ.

chartube12 and Jack54782 like this.
  4. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    I was interested in this port at first, But now I have zero interest.

5. Skyhigh_

Skyhigh_ GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    United States
    do civ games really take multiple hours like how people mentioned? I actually never played a single game from the series

I played a couple of RTS games in the past which seem a little similar with the exception of turn based type of style which is why these series probably take forever to finish a game.

However from playing different games online that are not FPS games i can safely say that long hour games people would state were actually from newer or players that lacked skill hence they would move very slowly and progress very slowly in games.

The best part of these type of players is that you could take them out within the first 5 minutes and move on to another opponent, yet they would complain how you would ''rush'' them or not give them enough time to defend. These types of players failed to realize that giving ''extra'' time was just a waste of time for the other opponent seeing as component players could scout and defend properly when some silly raids or attacks were headed your way.

Is this series anything like age of empires?
    3-4 hr games are too long who the hell has time to play those type of games? Or actually who would want to

6. chartube12

chartube12 CPT Chazz 713

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I have never played a civ online. The amount of time it can take without speed run mods is really high. It’s a game meant to take time to play. A slow non-rushed type of game. To play with real people, you’d have to plan game times. That defeats the purpose of playing in the first play

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I wonder what's their reasoning for this, besides keeping the PC version superior (which in itself I can't think of a good reason for doing, I mean a sale is a sale, right?)

8. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Armello matches last way less than Civ matches, but they still take 3/4 of the Switch battery AT BEST when playing online. For one single match. I don't agree with the decision, but I can understand it.

9. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    I have 5 Civ games (from I to V), even Alpha Centauri. Never used any single online feature in any of them.
    It's just not needed, really.
    The online in this particulr gmes are a bit like matches of chess, and can take AGES to get anywhere, and ending a multiplayer game, even local, should be a challenge on itself.

10. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja Toying with my mind

Aug 25, 2014
    United Kingdom
    On his bed
    Very confused, if it ever does get released to PS4 and XBONE I wonder if they'd take the same approach.

11. NintendoPowerGamer

NintendoPowerGamer Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2018
    Australia
    Another shitty port then. Can’t wait for Superman 64 DX.

12. ImSoHandsome

ImSoHandsome Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2018
    Canada
    Would be great to have a port of new God Of War, Spider man, Horizon Zero Dawn