Civilization VI for the Nintendo Switch will not have online multiplayer features

cccc.jpg

Revealed in the last Nintendo Direct (albeit leaked a few days prior to it) was a Nintendo Switch port of 2K Games' strategy game Civilization VI. A listing for the game went live on the Ninendo eShop recently, noting the features for the port, where players began to notice that the page specifically only mentioned local wireless, and not online. Since the PC version of the game has an online multiplayer function, many thought that it would be added later in a patch, but after users contacted 2K Games for further clarification, the company revealed that the Nintendo Switch version of Civ VI will only have local multiplayer. Online modes are not planned to be added to the game in any form. While removing online features is a major change from the computer version of the game, the already existing mobile phone port also has no online capabilities.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shoot. I was hoping online would be available. I mean, I'll still play the heck out of it, but online would have been nice

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
IIRC multiple players build up their whole civilizations, and then try to take over each others' land. I've only played it once or twice, but it's quite fun online.
You can take over everyone for a domination victory, or become the world's dominant culture for a culture victory, or get voted Leader of the World in the World Congress for a diplomatic victory, or build the Apollo Space Program and fly to space before anyone else for a science victory, and I think they added a Religion victory in Civ 6. Multiple ways to play the game and win, all valid. One of the things I love about Civ.

Skyhigh_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do civ games really take multiple hours like how people mentioned? I actually never played a single game from the series

I played a couple of RTS games in the past which seem a little similar with the exception of turn based type of style which is why these series probably take forever to finish a game.

However from playing different games online that are not FPS games i can safely say that long hour games people would state were actually from newer or players that lacked skill hence they would move very slowly and progress very slowly in games.

The best part of these type of players is that you could take them out within the first 5 minutes and move on to another opponent, yet they would complain how you would ''rush'' them or not give them enough time to defend. These types of players failed to realize that giving ''extra'' time was just a waste of time for the other opponent seeing as component players could scout and defend properly when some silly raids or attacks were headed your way.

Is this series anything like age of empires?
3-4 hr games are too long who the hell has time to play those type of games? Or actually who would want to

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never played a civ online. The amount of time it can take without speed run mods is really high. It’s a game meant to take time to play. A slow non-rushed type of game. To play with real people, you’d have to plan game times. That defeats the purpose of playing in the first play

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wonder what's their reasoning for this, besides keeping the PC version superior (which in itself I can't think of a good reason for doing, I mean a sale is a sale, right?)

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Armello matches last way less than Civ matches, but they still take 3/4 of the Switch battery AT BEST when playing online. For one single match. I don't agree with the decision, but I can understand it.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have 5 Civ games (from I to V), even Alpha Centauri. Never used any single online feature in any of them.
It's just not needed, really.
The online in this particulr gmes are a bit like matches of chess, and can take AGES to get anywhere, and ending a multiplayer game, even local, should be a challenge on itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: yeah