Civilization VI for the Nintendo Switch will not have online multiplayer features

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 2, 2018.

Front-page
    cccc.

Revealed in the last Nintendo Direct (albeit leaked a few days prior to it) was a Nintendo Switch port of 2K Games' strategy game Civilization VI. A listing for the game went live on the Ninendo eShop recently, noting the features for the port, where players began to notice that the page specifically only mentioned local wireless, and not online. Since the PC version of the game has an online multiplayer function, many thought that it would be added later in a patch, but after users contacted 2K Games for further clarification, the company revealed that the Nintendo Switch version of Civ VI will only have local multiplayer. Online modes are not planned to be added to the game in any form. While removing online features is a major change from the computer version of the game, the already existing mobile phone port also has no online capabilities.

Discussion (31 replies)
  1. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    YEAH! MOAAAAARRRR PORTINGS!

I LOVE them.

uludag likes this.
  2. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Thats...sad to hear to be honest.
    Last Civ I played was III but Id really love online mode

3. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    While I haven't played this game before, that is strange to me. Not even later as a patch. Things can change, but still.

LogicIsHansom likes this.
  4. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    It's a console exclusive though.

5. LittleFlame

LittleFlame I was way off, you guys suck

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    Bwahahahahaha, Civ without proper multiplayer, what a joke

6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    OH REALLY? but the game is designed for pc, it's unplay-able without mouse.

Last edited by leon315, Nov 2, 2018
  7. Jack54782

Jack54782 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    A9LH CRUSADE
    Really disappointing to be honest, me and a couple of friends were going to get it and play online but this has completely shit on those plans.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Given a lot of PC players end up using extra clients to make it all work properly ( https://www.2kgames.com/civ4/pitboss.htm being the main example for most) I can see some reason here.

I would also have to wonder what their stats showed about people playing against AI or local vs online in other offerings.

Edit

A turn based strategy game with fairly limited move options is unplayable on a touchscreen device with buttons? I am not seeing it. Even a dpad and buttons can get it done.

Last edited by FAST6191, Nov 2, 2018
  9. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    I've got balls of fail

NutymcNuty and Silent_Gunner like this.
  10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    is civilization really an online game?

like, isn't this the type of game you spend several hours in just developing your shit? how does online even work in that

11. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    You play with your friends (or strangers, I guess it doesn't really matter), each developing your shit, and then fight each other, all turn based. Or you can ally yourself with them, and fight the AI or other players together. You can of course focus on other things than military developement though

12. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    IIRC multiple players build up their whole civilizations, and then try to take over each others' land. I've only played it once or twice, but it's quite fun online.

13. Jack54782

Jack54782 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    A9LH CRUSADE
    It gets really tense and competitive when you are playing with multiple people as it is essentially the strongest player wins.

14. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I'm just wondering if a USB mouse is compatible for docked mode.

15. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Doubt it.

16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Well, shit! At least give us LAN mode so that we can tunnel some multiplayer :/

SaffronXL likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

Play by email (note not by actual email, just the sorts of timeframes involved. Or maybe postal chess.) is probably the main play mode for online.

18. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Before Civ6 the only option which made sense was making a whole day free for playing and that only with friends to ensure no one leaves the game to early. With Civ6 they changed multiplayer to be played much faster then your normal singleplayer experince to make up for that.
    You can finish a normal game (not something like extremly tiny maps and such but the real thing) within ~3.5-4hours even in Civ5 and before if you all know what you're doing and play fairly agressive, but honestly that game really isn't made for online multiplayer even if they sadly still struggle alot with programming a good AI.
    I don't think it's to much of a lose to have no online multiplayer, more problematic is if the second expansion which isn't out yet isn't going to come to Nintendos console which I fear will be the case,,,

In CivVI you only need to take-over the capitals, but there're actually multiple ways to win the game.

Last edited by VitaType, Nov 2, 2018
  19. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Does this support touch screen? I've used phone/tablet styluses on the switch without issue. That wouldn't be a bad way to play it if supported IMO.