Hackers leak nearly 2TB of data after hacking Sony developer Insomniac Games

aaaa.png

On December 12th, a ransomware hacker group named Rhysida revealed that it had been able to get access to 1.67 terabytes of data from one of Sony's game studios, Insomniac Games, known for Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man, and many other prolific titles. Rhysida demanded that Insomniac Games pay a 50 Bitcoin ($2 million USD) ransom, or face having tons of internal data and private files leaked onto the internet. When the deadline passed without the ransom having been paid, the hacker group followed through on their threat, uploading the nearly 2TB of data they had illegally obtained, for anyone to download.

Information included in the leak ranges from sales data, Insomniac's projects through 2035, company emails that discuss other unannounced titles from fellow Sony developers such as Guerrilla Games and Bluepoint Games, in-development footage, design documents, licensing agreements, legal documents, and even employee data, including passports, phone numbers, and home addresses.

The documents show that following the release of Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Insomniac has plans for a Wolverine game, which we already knew from Sony's 2021 Showcase. However, it also reveals that the studio has further Marvel games it plans to work on, including a dedicated Venom game, a Spider-Man 3, a new Ratchet & Clank, an X-Men video game, and two brand new IPs. There's plenty of gameplay and concept art leaked, but most notably, an entirely playable PC build of the game has leaked as well.

Insomniac's Venom game is set to be titled Venom: Lethal Protector, and will bridge the gap between Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3. You'll be able to play as Venom, as well as the other Spider-Men, against an enemy named Carnage. It'll be an 8-10 hour singleplayer game, according to the pitch documents.

Not only is there a playable build of Marvel's Wolverine, but there's also an incredibly early dev build of the new Ratchet & Clank game, showing a glimpse of what the project might become eventually.

We can see from the sales data that the PC ports of Sony games that Horizon Zero Dawn performed the best out of all the Sony-published games on Steam, with 3.3 million sales, while the recent Spider-Man PC port has already sold 1.3 million copies.

Other data on upcoming games includes the name of Horizon series developer Guerrilla Games' new project. Titled Hunter's Gathering, leaked documents show that this will be an online multiplayer take on the Horizon series.

One of the slides from the leak shows PlayStation's approach to "industry threats", such as Microsoft's buyout of Activision Blizzard. To Sony, Microsoft's plans to build a mobile gaming storefront, as well as the prior juggernaut of a storefront that Battle.net is, are a problem, as it shows that Sony is behind the times in both the mobile and PC gaming market. For them, a premium sales model is their "central approach". They also see that free-to-play games with high quality gameplay are unsustainable, even with subscriptions. From Sony's point of view, there is no perfectly unified experience that merges PC, console, and mobile together, despite Microsoft's attempts.

This is one of the largest video game company hacks in recent times. While CD Projekt Red, Capcom, and even Nintendo have seen breaches and data uploaded online, it rarely offers this much insight into a develoer's future projects and internal information. Sony has commented on the hack, but only in the manner of stating that they're aware a cyber-security issue is ongoing at Insomniac Games.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bias toward any avenue of schadenfreude against Sony aside, this kind of attack is not something Insomniac deserves.

There were so many other studios that "deserved" this treatment before them.
Post automatically merged:

I thought you were off base till I saw this article.

https://www.ign.com/articles/most-expensive-movies

I can't believe if cost $340 mill to make fast x. FML
Because about half of that is main actor contracts and another third is blown on the sheer amount of cars they destroy and take off the market for their 800-gear shifting and bay level explosions.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
These consoles essentially caused the budget creep. Now game development has become unsustainable. If they can't deliver *real* graphics to gamers, they might as well release to Nintendo consoles. I guess that perception what ruins game development at the end of the day.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
We’re getting a Maximum Carnage game that doesn’t suck?!
spider man and venom maximum carnage was a great game on the mega drive so im not sure what you mean lol and there will be no spider man on the venom game it seems, it will be a solo venom game and the enemy will be carnage kinda like the movie.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo next? Would love to learn about a new Advance Wars. Or possibly Nintendo lending more of their IPs to other studios (since Mario/Rabbids worked out so well).

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ratchet & Clank? Sweeeet; I still love the PS2 games (GC, UYA, Deadlocked).
Hopefully this new game will be better than Rift Apart, though; that game did not focus on Ratchet nearly enough, for one thing, and the gladiator arena was no Annihilation Nation, or Joba's MegaCorp Games (with the occasional ceiling fighting). Oh, and no Plumber - what the heck.

I also miss the jabs at rampant consumerism and stuff present in R&C 1 and 2, where there were occasional 'Bolt gates' - that is, the game forced you to pay to find out where to head next. That was removed in 3, as it was admittedly obstructive and could result in the player potentially needing to grind Bolts, but after so many games without it, its absence is rather noticeable - things just get handed to the player instead.

Apart from a new game that's hopefully better than R&C:RA, I also wish we'd get a remastered trilogy, like what Spyro and Crash got years ago. I'd play that to death, I would, especially if the nuts and bolts (heh) are essentially the same, just with upgraded visuals and refined controls and stuff.

Other than R&C, I do hope they bring Spider-Man 2 to Steam soon, within the next year or so; I've deliberately tried to avoid spoilers for this game as much as possible, though I do know that the stupid-ass MJ stealth sections are back...ugh. Miles Morales' game was way more fun, partly because there were no aggravating stealth sections; why bring them back?
I mean, stealth sections would be real fun as Spidey himself, doing the whole 'Batman: Arkham' thing except being able to zip to any surface instead of gargoyle statues and other specific vantage points/overhangs; it's a shame that in Spider-Man 1 and MM that this isn't possible and things almost always devolve to combat (heck, when tackling hideouts, you can stealth-takedown a few guys, but then a counter's reached and everyone magically becomes aware of your exact location even if you're perfectly hidden. Utter bullshit, that).

Hopefully they're also gone in this Venom game they're making, the non-powered stealth bits. Not fun at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?