Fire Emblem heads to Nintendo Switch Online's GBA selection

The very first officially localized Fire Emblem game is being added to the Nintendo Switch Online game collection. Starting June 23rd, you'll be able to play Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade as part of the GBA lineup for Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack.

Featuring all the fierce tactical combat and rich, intrigue-filled storytelling the series is known for, Fire Emblem was the first installment in the series to launch outside of Japan. Plus, it also marked the debut of the hero Lyn, who you may know as the Emblem of Blazing from Fire Emblem Engage!

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not paying for the extension thingy. These should all be part of the base nintendo online subscription - not as an extra. We’re talking about games from decades ago… it’s a bit ridiculous
Exactly, that's Nintendo for y'all.

Seriously, I believe that all of Nintendo's GBA games should be on service at beginning.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can’t wait for a whole new generation of gamers to discover insta-moving reinforcement spawns and ballistas that can crit :creep:
And the lack of Casual Mode, too; that wasn't a thing until the DS, Japan-only, New Mystery of the Emblem (not Awakening, as many might think, though that game's massive success did make it a mainstay - thank goodness).

I can't even go back to older Fire Emblem games; I loathe permadeath that much (why have it, when it just leads to resets or a weaker army?), and I'm not a big fan of GBA graphics either. Or, in case of Path of Radiance, that weird-ass "Biorhythm" thing and unequipped Skills vanishing instead of being banked for later.

Reactions: Fyrus

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MMMM stellar game. I have a love for the brutal linear games where you’re stuck with your choices and can’t grind your way out of them.

The GBA games just have such a charm too. They’re a series high for the battle animations, and the little chibi face windows are something that always make me happy.

Don’t play my Switch much at the moment but it is nice to know this is here.

MetalTail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First off, great game, but why do Nintendo keep drip feeding games into the online services, I know it is for maximizing profits, but it can make that much of a difference, more games would produce more interest in the service which would translate into more subscriptions, honestly what the online services offer seem like a joke.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And the lack of Casual Mode, too; that wasn't a thing until the DS, Japan-only, New Mystery of the Emblem (not Awakening, as many might think, though that game's massive success did make it a mainstay - thank goodness).

I can't even go back to older Fire Emblem games; I loathe permadeath that much (why have it, when it just leads to resets or a weaker army?), and I'm not a big fan of GBA graphics either. Or, in case of Path of Radiance, that weird-ass "Biorhythm" thing and unequipped Skills vanishing instead of being banked for later.

New Mystery of the Emblem was also the first game with an Avatar system (though very barebones iirc)

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo really continues to provide the most amazingly mediocre online experience. Why would I want to pay the same price as everyone else but for a literal drip feed of features and games?
This game is great but not worth paying extra to play.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m not paying for the extension thingy. These should all be part of the base nintendo online subscription - not as an extra. We’re talking about games from decades ago… it’s a bit ridiculous
I mean, that's a video game company becomes when it is led by a bunch if business men :(
I miss sir Satoru :cry:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool and all nintendo, but I would rather buy the games as VC, and not get trickle feed games that I don't really care about.
Or do like PSN/XBL: Paying subscribers get to download the games for "free."

Digital purchases have little to no ownership unless you unlock it on a CFW console and then it's yours and whomever you share it with.

benone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm kind of sad to see that the tendency of newest consoles generations almost need you to have an online connection to live a 'complete' experience. And then, you need to create an account, bla bla bla.

For me, my interest kind of stops at the generation of PSP, PS2, GameCube, Gameboy Advance/DS, when Internet was emerging for the consoles but not necessary at all. The game were complete and if a game had some bugs, it stayed that way.

I feel very satisfied by the simplicity of turning on a Super Nintendo and play the game in less than 10 seconds without feeling you need to be online to update, etc, etc. Just turning on the power and PLAY!

Simply play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto