Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Those that subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online will be able to play Game Boy games on their Switch, later today. Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3 and Kirby's Dreamland will all be available. You can use various filters to mimic the look of various versions of Game Boy. Online play is supported, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Pokemon: TCG, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and more are on the way later.

GBA games can be played by those who are a part of the NSO Expansion Pack. Those games today are, Super Mario Advance 4, WarioWare Inc., Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. Games like Metroid: Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun will come later.

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, I guess this'll justify the expansion pass price for some on the fence. I know GC/GBA was very important for some in regards to this sub model.
One the other hand the drip feed of content is AWFULLLLL.
Would it kill to put more than a handful of selected titles on the system at once?
Meanwhile all the GBA games I want to play are already on my Steam Deck or Android Devices.
They're some of the easiest games to benchmark.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

TotalJustice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to stick the whole library on? Ideally someone will develop a tool so that we can do it ourselves.
While not the whole library, i added a few games. Doesn't seem to be any issue adding games, nothing is checksummed before being loaded which is nice.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is there a trick to playing NSO games on a hacked Switch? Whenever I launch it, it tells me to get out of airplane mode and won’t let me go further.

Reactions: Minibeast

Minibeast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a trick to playing NSO games on a hacked Switch? Whenever I launch it, it tells me to get out of airplane mode and won’t let me go further.
Open Tinfoil on your switch, go to options and choose Fake Link Nintendo Online Account

Minibeast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can’t seem to launch Tinfoil. I just get a black screen. I generally use DBI for installation.

Is there another way to do this?
Make sure and get the latest Tinfoil NRO Self Installer from their main site and replace the old Tinfoil files on your SD card to update the app. Is your CFW up to date also?
Post automatically merged:

While not the whole library, i added a few games. Doesn't seem to be any issue adding games, nothing is checksummed before being loaded which is nice.
What are you using to add more roms? I was hoping CaVE would get an update to support the GB and GBA soon. I didn't know there was another way.

Last edited by Minibeast,
Reactions: regnad

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you all think less of me for being digital only or not caring about expansion pack bs?
No, enjoy it.

lmao I can play all that shit on my phone for free.

PASSS!!!!
Same.

I'd rather just play it on PC with a keyboard/controller, add a filter to the video, and I'm good. :)

Reactions: Ducolamia

Goetia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The issue with retro titles could EASILY be fixed if Nintendo and the like wanted to cash in on the nostalgia waves. Especially for those who want to play on original hardware. Licensing issues being the speed bump they are… The games they’re releasing in the digital subscription space could find new life in official reproductions.
NIntendo can´t fix retro market lol.

Nobody buy a glorified repro, look retro-bit cartridges.

Goetia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
More precisely, you own the license to play it.

But being when you own a physical copy you can play/watch/listen unlike a digital copy which may become unavailable even if bought so.. good luck with that digital purchase.
Cartridge, CDs, Hucards, DVDs, whatever, will degrade. Your game will corrupt and saves will be lost, unless you dump. In essence, physical and digital format differences are liquid.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridge, CDs, Hucards, DVDs, whatever, will degrade. Your game will corrupt and saves will be lost, unless you dump. In essence, physical and digital format differences are liquid.
Yes, it will and thanks to digital preservation by the fans the games (and etc) will be available regardless if the owners complain it's "Err that's piracy!! Don't do that!" so if they don't want us to pirate, make 'em available for purchase!

Reactions: OM3GAZX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill