Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Those that subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online will be able to play Game Boy games on their Switch, later today. Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3 and Kirby's Dreamland will all be available. You can use various filters to mimic the look of various versions of Game Boy. Online play is supported, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Pokemon: TCG, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and more are on the way later.

GBA games can be played by those who are a part of the NSO Expansion Pack. Those games today are, Super Mario Advance 4, WarioWare Inc., Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. Games like Metroid: Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun will come later.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
original GB games will obviously not get fully colorized like they should ?
I have tested it, but I think you can colorize them like you could with the super gameboy attachment if I'm not mistaken.

btw, I only download games I own, because I'm all digital due to health concerns. I can hold a disc pretty well, but not really a cartridge. it's just easier. anyway, I am concerned that one day I won't be able to download my games, which is why I do it. I have 208 games on 1.5TBs or so. I also have a lot of dlc. in retrospect, I would've bought most for the ps4/5, if I had owned the system at the time. ;)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have tested it, but I think you can colorize them like you could with the super gameboy attachment if I'm not mistaken.

btw, I only download games I own, because I'm all digital due to health concerns. I can hold a disc pretty well, but not really a cartridge. it's just easier. anyway, I am concerned that one day I won't be able to download my games, which is why I do it. I have 208 games on 1.5TBs or so. I also have a lot of dlc. in retrospect, I would've bought most for the ps4/5, if I had owned the system at the time. ;)
If they serialized games, they could allow us to download digital copies from a verified, trusted source… but I digress..

Reactions: godreborn

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Thanks. I'm really appalled by Nintendo laziness. Doing proper colorization on GB games (like Zelda DX or fanmade color hacks) was the bare minimum they should do for such an expensive service.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I'm really appalled by Nintendo laziness. Doing proper colorization on GB games (like Zelda DX or fanmade color hacks) was the bare minimum they should do for such an expensive service.
yeah, I'm an expansion pack user, and I find it somewhat irritating that we go months without new games. it's not so much the old roms that I have a problem with, it's how few get added.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I'm an expansion pack user, and I find it somewhat irritating that we go months without new games. it's not so much the old roms that I have a problem with, it's how few get added.
Indeed. If they cared they could also do a lot of new localizations of all these Nintendo games that never left Japan... Or do new remakes, like Super Mario Land remade for SNES etc... infinite possibilites... but Nintendo only cares about maximum cash with minimal effort.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. If they cared they could also do a lot of new localizations of all these Nintendo games that never left Japan... Or do new remakes, like Super Mario Land remade for SNES etc... infinite possibilites... but Nintendo only cares about maximum cash with minimal effort.
probably due to the cash cow that is the switch. they don't have to put forth much effort if people will buy it regardless. there are some games I wish were localized, but that will probably never happen. I liked how they did earthbound beginnings, wish there was a new earthbound game for the switch or something.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They get color support like back in the day.

Wave Race in color looks pretty good:

I wish they had widescreen support, though, sony was just as lazy with some of these older games. been playing wild arms on the ps5, and it's in 4x3, but it does have trophies, so at least that's something.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what a ridiculous opinion, jfc
Post automatically merged:

Expansion subs only? Okay, I've had it with this.
I'm actually cancelling my sub and going to start pirating switch games. THIS IS BULLSHIT!
yeah sure mate, whatever excuse you needed for already pirating them in the first place ;P

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a ridiculous opinion, jfc
Post automatically merged:

yeah sure mate, whatever excuse you needed for already pirating them in the first place ;P
I actually have not pirated a single switch game and have purchased loads of unwanted games from users on these boards as I am an advocate of supporting things and I'm a collector... But whether or not you believe me doesn't matter a lick to me. This is honestly just the line.

I hope Nintendo go back into a dark age. They have become so disconnected.

My stupid blind support of them over the years is what enrages me so much

Last edited by Dax_Fame,
Reactions: OM3GAZX

Goetia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
JuSt emUlaTE iT BRO - Some tempers, probably.

Isn’t that what we’re doing with this service, anyway? The problem with this specific service is the type of paywall they’re putting it behind. Rental services for games never sits right with me. I’d rather pay $5 a game to own* so that I can play at any given time without being tied to a subscription or being forced online.

*Digital games are already a slippery slope as they can disappear whenever Nintendo (or the service provider) so chooses.
the discussion of property in physical format is pointless. We don´t own the game, just the access to play it. Both, Physical and digital (only difference is representation, the token). By the way, retro stuff market is out of control, just look all this collectors morons and his shelves, talking about games in youtube or just look pricecharting. In retro, you don't pay 5 usd, you pay hundreds and that's the value in rental online service: people can play easily. In other words, these tempers idiots are not the target.

Reactions: Kioku

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don´t own the game, just the access to play it.
More precisely, you own the license to play it.

But being when you own a physical copy you can play/watch/listen unlike a digital copy which may become unavailable even if bought so.. good luck with that digital purchase.

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish they had widescreen support, though, sony was just as lazy with some of these older games. been playing wild arms on the ps5, and it's in 4x3, but it does have trophies, so at least that's something.

I don't blame them for not adding it... It isn't easy to create widescreen hacks for 2D games,, specially in old consoles.

The SNES emulator BSNES-HD has a widescreen option, but it's also flawed (showing garbage or popping in too many games) without a proper patch (the difficulty is the reason why there's only two widescreen patches for SNES).

It would be easier to recreate those games in modern engines.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Anyone hack the GBA and GB emulators and see if rumble + gyro are already supported since kirby tilt n tumble is a future game?

I do hope Gameboy Camera and Warioware twisted get added

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just found out that they added rumble support to the emulator

I tried enabling it for shits and gigs in superstar saga and it seems to be working perfectly!

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone hack the GBA and GB emulators and see if rumble + gyro are already supported since kirby tilt n tumble is a future game?

I do hope Gameboy Camera and Warioware twisted get added
there are already several (gba) games available that use the rumble, including mario & luigi and mario advance 4, and they work fine

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
the discussion of property in physical format is pointless. We don´t own the game, just the access to play it. Both, Physical and digital (only difference is representation, the token). By the way, retro stuff market is out of control, just look all this collectors morons and his shelves, talking about games in youtube or just look pricecharting. In retro, you don't pay 5 usd, you pay hundreds and that's the value in rental online service: people can play easily. In other words, these tempers idiots are not the target.
The issue with retro titles could EASILY be fixed if Nintendo and the like wanted to cash in on the nostalgia waves. Especially for those who want to play on original hardware. Licensing issues being the speed bump they are… The games they’re releasing in the digital subscription space could find new life in official reproductions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/apple-working-fix-bug-causing-iphone-alarm-issues/VGXCCGHWOF...