Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Those that subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online will be able to play Game Boy games on their Switch, later today. Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3 and Kirby's Dreamland will all be available. You can use various filters to mimic the look of various versions of Game Boy. Online play is supported, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Ages, Pokemon: TCG, Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and more are on the way later.

GBA games can be played by those who are a part of the NSO Expansion Pack. Those games today are, Super Mario Advance 4, WarioWare Inc., Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. Games like Metroid: Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun will come later.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The archaic online play method for the games supported is simply idiotic. It should be available for all rather than friends only.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit would definitely benefit from it.

Reactions: Hanafuda and Xzi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So the rumors were true. I guess it had to happen sooner or later, not really a surprise.
They have pretty much every Nintendo console covered now. What's next, GameCube? One can dream... :cry:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The archaic online play method for the games supported is simply idiotic. It should be available for all rather than friends only.

I haven't tried the online functionality of NSO, but from what I heard it has issues with lag/latency.
If you're not both on a perfect connection, and relatively close to eachother, the experience suffers. So I imagine trying to play it with randoms from all over would be a bad experience. Even limiting it to the same continent, the ping between players can still be high, ideally they'd be in the same country, but if they limit online with randoms to the same country, it will be hard to find people to play with in a lot of countries.
Emulator online play is tricky, anything more than 30ms of latency will be noticeable. You pretty much need to be in the same country to see latency below that. Between different continents, the latency can be 150ms or more, which makes anything faster paced than Mario Party unplayable.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the rumors were true. I guess it had to happen sooner or later, not really a surprise.
They have pretty much every Nintendo console covered now. What's next, GameCube? One can dream... :cry:
And DS.

I played Mario Kart DS a bit earlier today, but the gameplay takes some getting used to, it's not the same as MK7/MK8 which I'm so familiar with.

Like when drifting, I end up hitting the walls.

Reactions: orangy57

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not gonna lie the GBA multiplayer is looking reeeeeallly tempting even if that price tag is a huge grift. Never got to play multiplayer Super Circuit back in the day even tho it's one of my favorites and i dont know of any GBA emulators with real netplay besides this. VBA had a fork back in the day that let you play multiplayer with 2 emulators running on the same PC but it was pretty buggy

It's really weird considering that the leaked prototype for this emulator came with matchmaking functionality for Mario Advance and Mario Kart. They might've dropped it because of lag, you can't really do rollback while emulating the GBA's wireless protocol since the timings need to be super tight to avoid problems. I guess they keep the netplay limited to friends because you're typically living closer together and you can tell them to get better internet but you can't tell 3 randoms from across the globe to plug in their LAN adapters

Last edited by orangy57,
Reactions: DoubleDate

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah yeah, Nintendo keeps pretending RetroArch doesn't exist.

Also, arE mY aIyEs dIsEevIng mE? Or GBC games has the wrong colors?

Unsaturated, kinda like running in GBA mode.
To which I'll assume they're which would mean Shantae is coming... also, would explain Oracle games teased for they have the super helpful exclusive Advance Store.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, I’m extremely happy to see new consoles coming to NSO, on the other hand, I’m a little sad we’re not getting any of the Pokémon games with it. I know that’s a big ask, but it really shouldn’t be.

I want a way to play the 1st and 2nd gen games and transfer the Pokémon up to Home without having to deal with Bank and such. Plus a way to play the gen 3 games and gen 1 remakes and trade up to Home without needing to go through generations 4 and 5 first.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And DS.

I played Mario Kart DS a bit earlier today, but the gameplay takes some getting used to, it's not the same as MK7/MK8 which I'm so familiar with.

Like when drifting, I end up hitting the walls.
DS wouldn't be a good experience, unless they release a JoyCon vertical mount. I think I've seen 3D printed ones, actually. Trying to fit both screens horizontally just doesn't really work that well and doesn't work at all for games that treat both screens as a single tall screen.
You'd be lucky to get GCN games on Switch Pro/Switch 2. Easier to just buy a Steam Deck and emulate GCN/Wii/Switch all at full speed.
We already have GC games on Switch, did you forget about Super Mario 3D All-Stars? ;)
Supposedly they based it on the Nvidia Shield China-only releases, which makes sense, same SoC and all that. That had a bunch of titles released that have yet to see Switch releases, getting games beyond that to work well might require more effort than just slapping more ISOs on, but NSO releases are slow paced anyway, it's just a few games every few months, which wouldn't take that much effort at all.
My phone runs GC/Wii games great, but it'd still be nice to have it on a proper handheld.

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While mostly true, they implemented multiplayer, something those last generations couldn't do w/ GBA natively. That is a value add.

reasonsimbroke-larry-david.gif

I guess, yeah.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
You can say what you want, but many of those games are incredibly good. A great game stands the test of time, and you know it is great if to this day, you want to turn on your console, and just play and relax, nothing more, nothing less. I am glad to have this games on my Switch now. Going to start with the mega awesome Superstar Saga, man, that would be my 4th and final run. Still have the original cartridge.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say EVERY console, or even close to it. There's still DS, 3DS, Wii, GameCube, and Wii U.

Not like I care that much though. I happen to know of a little emulator that DOESN'T cost $50 a year. Still, I suppose this is cool for young kiddies or people who are against emulation.

Reactions: orangy57

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wouldn't say EVERY console, or even close to it. There's still DS, 3DS, Wii, GameCube, and Wii U.

Not like I care that much though. I happen to know of a little emulator that DOESN'T cost $50 a year. Still, I suppose this is cool for young kiddies or people who are against emulation.
Well, I don't think most of those are happening. Wii because of the controls, DS/3DS because of the dual screens, Wii U is almost as powerful as the Switch and pretty much everything worth playing on there got ported already anyway.
Virtual Boy maybe? :P Nintendo needs to show the Virtual Boy some love, there are good games on there.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?