Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a feature request: add a keyboard input for pausing the emulator, perhaps using the Pause key on the keyboard? Thanks.
That's a thing. But it's not added to the master build yet. The keyboard feature for Citra opens Command Prompt and let you type names or words. It's available on Unofficial Builds of Citra.

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's a thing. But it's not added to the master build yet. The keyboard feature for Citra opens Command Prompt and let you type names or words. It's available on Unofficial Builds of Citra.

I believe you are talking about something different. We have a PR which makes it possible to handle keyboard input through the terminal (= when naming items in game where it currently ALWAYS picks "Citra" as choice).

What the user is asking for is a button to press so Citra pauses instantly (which can also be done through the menu).
This is technically very easy to add, so if you want to contribute and have written code before but don't feel quite ready for Citra: Try it; I recommend trying to add this feature. Just make sure you learn enough git.

(It's a minor feature so I don't think anybody of the more experienced developers will take the time to actually add this feature yet - they are working on more complex parts)

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
We have a PR which makes it possible to handle keyboard input through the terminal (= when naming items in game where it currently ALWAYS picks "Citra" as choice).)
That's what I'm talking about. Can't specify what though. So yeah. But that PR was present in drwhojan's unofficial build. Best of naming Mii's and Link in Zelda series.

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else from github are other updating are working on Audio / hle / pipe ?, other then MerryMage

I would like to do testing if so,, we all know this one fixes the "Sound Effects" in pokemon x/y
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-bleeding-edge/compare/master...MerryMage:pipe3

"But yet still no "Music" in the game are title start.
The music as on Citra if Not there, but is on real 3DS 24 about seconds into this video

but found this https://3dbrew.org/wiki/DSP:ReadPipeIfPossible
Request from PIPE3 was in Index 1 in pipe.h/pipe.cpp/dsp_dsp.cpp/audio_core.cpp as linked, any others ?

Last edited by drwhojan,

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Is there a reason why Cemu (Wii U emulator) runs way better for me than Citra? Isn't a 3DS less heavy than a Wii U, game processing-wise? Or is the coding not optimal yet for Citra?
I think it's because the Wii U uses already familiar hardware (like PowerPC) and whatnot that the Gamecube and Wii already uses.

I don't know. Just saying what I've heard a while ago.

jroweboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ayy lmao https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2334 where have i heard of this before...

Just a feature request: add a keyboard input for pausing the emulator, perhaps using the Pause key on the keyboard? Thanks.
It would be really easy to add that, and I think its a good idea to. But really what would be better than just adding that would be making it possible for people to hook up a keyboard shortcut to anything they want to in the menus. This would take more work, but would be much better in the long run. I might put that on my long todo list...

I think it's because the Wii U uses already familiar hardware (like PowerPC) and whatnot that the Gamecube and Wii already uses.

I don't know. Just saying what I've heard a while ago.

3ds cpu is ARM which is probably way more well known compared to PPC considering just about every mobile phone (android/iphone) uses ARM. But for modern console emulation, the CPU is just one factor to getting good emulation. Also just as important is the OS emulation, GPU emulation, and whatever-other-silly-feature-the-console-has emulation.

The biggest difference is 3ds emulation is a community project made by volunteers. We work on what we want and do it when we want. CEMU on the other hand, is a commercial product who gets more money the better Breath of the Wild runs, hence its in his best interest to work just on supporting that game. Considering he works full time on the emulator, its no surprise that more time spent working on the emu + focusing on the one game people care about + being a full time job leads people to claim its progressing super fast.

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ayy lmao https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2334 where have i heard of this before...

It would be really easy to add that, and I think its a good idea to. But really what would be better than just adding that would be making it possible for people to hook up a keyboard shortcut to anything they want to in the menus. This would take more work, but would be much better in the long run. I might put that on my long todo list...

3ds cpu is ARM which is probably way more well known compared to PPC considering just about every mobile phone (android/iphone) uses ARM. But for modern console emulation, the CPU is just one factor to getting good emulation. Also just as important is the OS emulation, GPU emulation, and whatever-other-silly-feature-the-console-has emulation.

The biggest difference is 3ds emulation is a community project made by volunteers. We work on what we want and do it when we want. CEMU on the other hand, is a commercial product who gets more money the better Breath of the Wild runs, hence its in his best interest to work just on supporting that game. Considering he works full time on the emulator, its no surprise that more time spent working on the emu + focusing on the one game people care about + being a full time job leads people to claim its progressing super fast.
I would like to add that CEMU runs fewer games properly then Citra.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Is there a reason why Cemu (Wii U emulator) runs way better for me than Citra? Isn't a 3DS less heavy than a Wii U, game processing-wise? Or is the coding not optimal yet for Citra?
There are two different approaches to emulation, one's working on a game-by-game basis, which is much less accurate, but faster and depends on a lot of game specific hacks. CEMU is pretty much a hackfest.

The other approach is a more accurate one that aims to achieve universal game compatibility. It focuses on emulating the system properly, not just running games. Therefore it's slower. That's Citra.

tl;dr CEMU is like ZSNES for WiiU and Citra is kinda like Higan for 3DS.

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There are two different approaches to emulation, one's working on a game-by-game basis, which is much less accurate, but faster and depends on a lot of game specific hacks. CEMU is pretty much a hackfest.

The other approach is a more accurate one that aims to achieve universal game compatibility. It focuses on emulating the system properly, not just running games. Therefore it's slower. That's Citra.

My reply feels too offtopic - I've moved it to a github gist (Also it's markdown formatted by accident :P )

Last edited by JayFoxRox,
Reactions: CuriousTommy

JohnnyGui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ah, that explains why. Thanks! I haven't played many games on Cemu but its accuracy is quite amazing compared to its relative early development.

I'm not sure to what extent the accuracy would be sacrificed for 3DS games if Citra did the same thing.

Baybay

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have problem with this anyone help me

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 433

Andieran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Noob here. I've been looking for a 3ds emu and heard that citra is the best one running out there. The thing is some places I read it's super great and others I've read it still has a lot of problems and that sometimes you even need to get other software to get it to work and others I've read it just doesn't work but only a few select games. Can anyone give me a hand with this? I don't know what to trust anymore

jroweboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob here. I've been looking for a 3ds emu and heard that citra is the best one running out there.

its the only one out there. if you find any others i'm 100% sure they are repackaging citra as whatever they feel like calling it.

The thing is some places I read it's super great and others I've read it still has a lot of problems and that sometimes you even need to get other software to get it to work and others I've read it just doesn't work but only a few select games. Can anyone give me a hand with this? I don't know what to trust anymore

both are pretty accurate. citra is relatively young software and is in active development. so some games work flawlessly and others run poorly or not at all. i haven't heard of needing external software since the controller support was merged. (and heres to hoping i'll finish fullscreen/multiwindow support someday so people don't have to use external programs for that)

Reactions: NiagA

Andieran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
its the only one out there. if you find any others i'm 100% sure they are repackaging citra as whatever they feel like calling it.

both are pretty accurate. citra is relatively young software and is in active development. so some games work flawlessly and others run poorly or not at all. i haven't heard of needing external software since the controller support was merged. (and heres to hoping i'll finish fullscreen/multiwindow support someday so people don't have to use external programs for that)

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Noob here. I've been looking for a 3ds emu and heard that citra is the best one running out there. The thing is some places I read it's super great and others I've read it still has a lot of problems and that sometimes you even need to get other software to get it to work and others I've read it just doesn't work but only a few select games. Can anyone give me a hand with this? I don't know what to trust anymore
Now if you're wondering why there are different versions of Citra that many people uses is because the emulator have 2 versions. The official Build and the Bleeding Edge. Of course there's the Unofficial Build but these were compiled by other people out of the Citra Development and run games faster and better. But the devs don't support these kind of stuffs.

==========================================================

Anyways, has anyone tried to emulate Soundhax? Since I got everything including dumped Sound Manager(which only boots in Unofficial Build and Bleeding Edge somehow), I'm not sure if someone manage to try booting Soundhax.

Andieran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now if you're wondering why there are different versions of Citra that many people uses is because the emulator have 2 versions. The official Build and the Bleeding Edge. Of course there's the Unofficial Build but these were compiled by other people out of the Citra Development and run games faster and better. But the devs don't support these kind of stuffs.
Yeah, I've read of Nightly Build and Bleeding Edge, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol