Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
davebaol said:
There's only one relevant difference between v3beta6 and v3final.
v3beta6 has logging on while v3final has logging off.
And that's weird, but it makes really the difference.
In fact v3beta6 can create the save file for games like FFCC My Life as a Darklord, but if I recompile v3beta6 without logging then that game shows the error message "Can't create the save file" or something like that.
blink.gif

Maybe initialisation or timing problems? Because the beta6 is initializing the fat module before the game to create a log?

Bulloch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Woohoo, I finally got my old usb hdd enclosure working with Configurable USB Loader using 249d2x58! Thanks a lot for increasing compatibility with this cIOS, I almost bought a new external hdd.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulloch said:
Woohoo, I finally got my old usb hdd enclosure working with Configurable USB Loader using 249d2x58! Thanks a lot for increasing compatibility with this cIOS, I almost bought a new external hdd.
Is there a reason to use 249d2x58 instead of 249d2x56?

Bulloch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lacius said:
Bulloch said:
Is there a reason to use 249d2x58 instead of 249d2x56?

To be honest: I picked it at random, I don't know what the advantages of the different bases are. I'm still a bit new at this...

x4mer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Base 58 cios doesn't use the cios USB 2.0 code, it uses the Nintendo USB code in base 58. It's the only base that doesn't end up using the cios USB2 code, so I would bet that your HDD is working now because of the base, not because of d2x. If you had used Wanin rev21 with base 58, you would likely find that to work too.

Problem is base 58 doesn't work (well) for many things.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
XFlak said:
Etheboss said:
One question though, why didn't you change the version numbers of the cIOSes in the 250 slots to 21, because it is already known that the version number can give problems with Mighty Channels..

For anyone who wants to change ModMii's default d2x cIOS250's to be rev21 instead of rev65535 they can copy and paste the following text into a DBUPDATE.bat and save it to the following directory:
{directory where ModMii.exe is saved}\temp\DBUPDATE.bat

CODEif /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[37]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=2660064ddd223b360d5987f1c13b1627
set md5alt=%md5%
:skip

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[38]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=ee5f927ad2de6016f199da570f172195
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[56]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=93bd371c6052e7f9841fda5e2e7eebdf
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[57]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=0cf62ae35b1e09d7644a2aa8577e6155
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[58]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=81f8decece261ce6a0367d8d3a37e232
set md5alt=%md5%
I can have ModMii build this file when checking for updates if there is a general consensus that this is what should be done.

So whats the verdict? Should I have modmii do this for everyone? Has anyone tried it yet?
???

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bulloch said:
To be honest: I picked it at random, I don't know what the advantages of the different bases are. I'm still a bit new at this...Yes, 249d2x56 has the best compatibility; it works with roughly 99% of games. 250d2x57 is usually installed to cover the remaining 1% (the ones that can be fixed with a different cIOS, anyway).

x4mer said:
Base 58 cios doesn't use the cios USB 2.0 code, it uses the Nintendo USB code in base 58. It's the only base that doesn't end up using the cios USB2 code, so I would bet that your HDD is working now because of the base, not because of d2x. If you had used Wanin rev21 with base 58, you would likely find that to work too.

Problem is base 58 doesn't work (well) for many things.This is what I thought. I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something with the introduction of 249d2x58 v3. Thank you.

QUOTE(XFlak @ Mar 7 2011, 06:43 PM)
So whats the verdict? Should I have modmii do this for everyone? Has anyone tried it yet?
???
Lacius votes yes. I could also see the rev21 label being very beneficial when looking at sysCheck reports. Too bad there isn't an easy way to convey the fact that it's d2x v3 in the version number.

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacius said:
Lacius votes yes. I could also see the rev21 label being very beneficial when looking at sysCheck reports. Too bad there isn't an easy way to convey the fact that it's d2x v3 in the version number.

how about something like this:

say d 2 X and the numbers 2 2 6 with v3 at the end

or

d=4 2 x=24 v3

or

something similar anyone can think of, just change the last number to the version number

only problem i can see is that nintendo can overwrite an IOS which is not maxed out.

edit/

or release an entirely new cIOS which installs to different slots say cIOS246[56]-v1 (rev226) and cIOS247[57]-v1 (rev226). eventually the loaders can/will update to default to the new cIOS slots, besides they already have manual selection.

jesquinas

Trophies
XP
Country
One question for well understanding.Use v21 against v65535 is for making a difference between "official" wanin'cios and the modified cios of this thread?

Thx.

pplucky

Trophies
XP
Country
jesquinas said:
One question for well understanding.Use v21 against v65535 is for making a difference between "official" wanin'cios and the modified cios of this thread?

Thx.
No, it's for Mighty Channels beta5 mod davebaol to be able to use the cIOS. Check here.

Bulloch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
x4mer said:

Problem is base 58 doesn't work (well) for many things.
Right, thanks for the explanation. I hope I don't encounter too many problems using this base then.
Will this cIOS with base 58 support other partitions than WBFS, since it uses Nintendo's USB code? (I'm going to try a few different partitions anyway, but I was wondering if it's possible in the first place).

-edit- FAT32 also seems to work.

jesquinas

Trophies
XP
Country
pplucky said:
jesquinas said:

Thx.
No, it's for Mighty Channels beta5 mod davebaol to be able to use the cIOS. Check here.
But mighty_channels_beta5_MOD_d2x_v3beta5.rar is written by davebaol?

Thx.

terryforever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
hi.
b4 tis i was using r19,

so, i thinking to install tis r21d2x
so, i follow all instruction,

after download n try install,
i follow wat u say, choose ios236, but i didnt have one,
then i try ios36, but it cant install the 2 wads,
so, i try ios 249,
then it install.

so, if i use ios249 to install,
will it got any problem??

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If installation succeeded why should you encounter any problem?
Any fake signed ios is good to install wads.
And all cios are always fake signed.
wink.gif

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@XFlak
I was referring to this:
XFlak said:
XFlak said:
Etheboss said:
One question though, why didn't you change the version numbers of the cIOSes in the 250 slots to 21, because it is already known that the version number can give problems with Mighty Channels..

For anyone who wants to change ModMii's default d2x cIOS250's to be rev21 instead of rev65535 they can copy and paste the following text into a DBUPDATE.bat and save it to the following directory:
{directory where ModMii.exe is saved}\temp\DBUPDATE.bat

CODEif /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[37]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=2660064ddd223b360d5987f1c13b1627
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[38]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=ee5f927ad2de6016f199da570f172195
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[56]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=93bd371c6052e7f9841fda5e2e7eebdf
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[57]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=0cf62ae35b1e09d7644a2aa8577e6155
set md5alt=%md5%

if /i "%wadname%" NEQ "cIOS250[58]-v21d2x3" goto:skip
set ciosversion=21
set md5=81f8decece261ce6a0367d8d3a37e232
set md5alt=%md5%

I can have ModMii build this file when checking for updates if there is a general consensus that this is what should be done.

???
And no, I've not tried it yet.
smile.gif

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
davebaol said:
I vote yes.
There's no reason why slot 250 should be maxed out IMHO.
So would you like me to change the version numbers of both 249 and 250 d2x v3 cIOSs to "42243", and v4 would be "42244" and so on?

something which would be recognizable as a d2x cIOS and not a maxed out number or the standard 21.

edit/

even something as simple as 213 for v3 and 214 for v4 would be sufficient.

well considering the testing proofs successful.

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
troy512 said:
XFlak said:
davebaol said:
I vote yes.
There's no reason why slot 250 should be maxed out IMHO.
So would you like me to change the version numbers of both 249 and 250 d2x v3 cIOSs to "42243", and v4 would be "42244" and so on?
something which would be recognizable as a d2x cIOS and not a maxed out number or the standard 21.
even something as simple as 213 for v3 and 214 for v4 would be sufficient.
well considering the testing proofs successful.
better be something like 21003 for r21 d2x v3, 21004 for r21 d2x v4, 23015 for next year r23 d2x v15....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...