Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jesquinas said:
pplucky said:
jesquinas said:
One question for well understanding.Use v21 against v65535 is for making a difference between "official" wanin'cios and the modified cios of this thread?

Thx.
No, it's for Mighty Channels beta5 mod davebaol to be able to use the cIOS. Check here.
But mighty_channels_beta5_MOD_d2x_v3beta5.rar is written by davebaol?

Thx.
A maxed out version was also used in the past to prevent an official Ninty update to deleted/stub the IOS slot (because it was maxed out it could not be overwritten). This has nothing to do with wanins or davebaols version.
In the past it was also harder to restore from a ninty update, so a maxed out version was introduced. But now with all the new homebrew and softmod programs, the need for a maxed out version is not really there anymore.

Bulloch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
x4mer said:
Base 58 cios doesn't use the cios USB 2.0 code, it uses the Nintendo USB code in base 58. It's the only base that doesn't end up using the cios USB2 code, so I would bet that your HDD is working now because of the base, not because of d2x. If you had used Wanin rev21 with base 58, you would likely find that to work too.

Problem is base 58 doesn't work (well) for many things.
Is there any chance that a future base 56 cIOS will have improved USB device compatibility (the same as base 58)? I don't know anything about coding, so I'm curious about the possibilities. (Sorry for going a bit off-topic by the way).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Etheboss said:
In the past it was also harder to restore from a ninty update, so a maxed out version was introduced. But now with all the new homebrew and softmod programs, the need for a maxed out version is not really there anymore.I totally agree, who cares if cIOS249 or cIOS250 gets stubbed? Just reinstall it using IOS236. And even if ninty puts out a maxed out stub IOS236 (which would only be installed on consoles without a maxed out patched 236 already), the IOS236 Installer would still be able to overwrite it.

cambric said:
better be something like 21003 for r21 d2x v3, 21004 for r21 d2x v4, 23015 for next year r23 d2x v15.... I think I like this idea! @davebaol, what do u think?

@Bulloch, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the hard drive compatability comes from the base IOS itself. So u probably won't see improved compatability on a base 56 cIOS until ninty puts out an update to the official IOS56 and someone else (ie. waninkoko) builds a new cIOS installer that supports the new base 56 IOS

edit:
QUOTE(Hells Guardian @ Mar 9 2011, 03:54 PM)
It may be possible to combine the USB2 module with the IOS56 base but it may still have the same compatability problems.
hmmm, having analyzed (albeit on a simplistic level) how hermes merged cIOSs (ie. base 37+38) were combined... maybe we could do that here. ie. we could start building a d2x base 56 cIOS, but before packing it up, replacing a module or modules with one from base 58. But I would really just be guessing at what module from IOS56 to replace with one from IOS58. Not to mention that Hermes himself stopped using merged base IOSs for a reason (stability issues I believe). In the end, if someone were to find a combination that works I could have ModMii construct the same as I have it construct hermes v4 base 37+38 cIOS... but to be honest... I doubt we'll get it sorted out without the input of Hermes (or someone on his level), but u never know. And to be honest... base 56 works for 99% of ppl, so really, the resulting merged cIOS probably won't be useful for the vast majority of ppl since they can just continue to use base 56. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I like it too.
wub.gif

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
XFlak said:
I think I like this idea! @davebaol, what do u think?
marc_max said:
I like the 21003 version. This will be easier to identify d2x on Mighty Channels, and diferentiate between it and 17/real21.
QUOTE(davebaol @ Mar 9 2011, 07:36 PM)
I like it too.
wub.gif
Thanks for your appreciation...

cambo

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had some time today to further investigate using the keyboard in Rock Band 3. I am loading the game from usb using d2xv3, which has made playing this game with my guitar hero guitars work seamlessly. The issue I'm having is with the keyboard. It works smoothly for most of the song, but every 30-45 sec it blanks and doesn't recognize key presses for maybe a sec or so. I also noticed that when pressing the notes there is lag sometimes. The keyboard uses a usb dongle that it connects wireless to. I'm guessing that is where the issue lies. I have tried it with both content native to the game and on the sd card with the same result. Also before the controller lag issue was fixed, if you paused the game and resumed after the song loaded it would work fine, but that workaround hasn't worked either. On the other hand I have tried using hermes cios, which did not contain these lag issues, but also do not have sdhc support. I have the pro mustang guitar ordered and coming, which I just realized also uses a dongle. ugh.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@hybridLearner
You have to isolate the problem as much as possible if you want to have any chance I fix this issue.
Please make the following tests and report the results.

cIOS..........base.......SD........USB........DVD..
---------------------------------------------------
rev17..........38..................................
rev18.........38/57................................
rev19.........38/57................................
rev20..........56..................................
rev21..........56..................................
d2x v1.........56..................................
d2x v2.........56..................................
d2x v3.........56..................................

NOTE 1:
SD/USB/DVD means the game is on the corresponding device

NOTE 2:
RB3 requires base 56 which is available since rev20.
Not sure RB3 works with base 38 and 57 too.

x4mer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hybridLearner said:
On the other hand I have tried using hermes cios, which did not contain these lag issues, but also do not have sdhc support. I have the pro mustang guitar ordered and coming, which I just realized also uses a dongle. ugh.

Try Hermes V5.1 224base60. That has SDHC support. I've heard that the kybd support is buggy in RB3, so I'd be interested to see whether it's a game bug you're experiencing, or whether it goes away with Hermes and is therefore another Wanin bug.

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i did some preliminary tests. First off, bases 38 & 57 don't connect to the keyboard, they must be 37 or 56. I didn't have r17 of 37, but r19 worked fine. r20b56 was laggy as expected. I have tried the 21d2xv1-3 throughout it's development with the same issues. Interesting though straight vanilla r21b37 ran smooth. All my dlc is on a sdhc card, which didn't make any difference on the laggyness of the later revisions vs from the game itself as the songs are loaded onto the nand before playing. I'm not sure if this information helps or not, i'm not sure what the differences if any are in the modules between b37 and b56. If there is anything else I can test, just ask!

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since rev19[37] and rev21[37] have no lag it seems an issue with base 56.
Please test rev20 and d2x v1-3 with base 37 and let me know.

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tested another aspect... the hdd. I normally use a wd 1tb passport drive (2.5in powered by usb), which typically works well, except I have to use hermes 224b57 for black ops after the update in January made online play unplayable with any version of r21 (extremely laggy and choppy even with good internet). So I tried it for a bit with a hdd that I plopped in a roswill external case. Didn't notice any lag using r21d2x3, but after severl songs the keyboard would disconnect and not reconnect until I would restart the wii, then same deal a few songs later. That external enclosure doesn't know the definition of sleep mode and needs to be manually turned off after use. I also have a wd elements drive (3.5in plugs into wall) for the next couple of days that I will try as well. I'll try those cios with the different drives tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is. It seems strange that the type of hdd used could affect the other usb devices, but then again that seemed to be what the problem was with the controllers after all. Thank you so much for the help.

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, haven't had any disconnects today. All the revs with base 37 seem to work fine, with 56 it lags. If I use a different hdd that is self powered, 56 seems to run smooth. Last night with the passport (powered through wii) d2xv3b37 kept pausing for a few sec just after a song started, then resumed to normal. I restarted the wii several times and it still had the same thing happen. This morning I double checked and I couldn't get it to do it again. I believe the game transfers the song to the nand before it plays it, so I wonder if it came across a bad block or something. It's a bit frustrating to test because one would think that it would pause or lag in the same spots or just as frequently, but it is not. The guitar pro should be here tomorrow and i'll be able to test both of them together and see if there is anything amiss using two. As of now I'm resigning to the fact that I may just have to use a powered hdd for compatibility. This weekend it happens that i'm taking my wii to a party that will be playing rb3. So we will see if I have anymore issues with loosing the connection to the keyboard after songs are done. It only did it when I was playing drums and my girlfriend was playing kb, and all 3 times she didn't tell me until the song was over that it wasn't working the entire following song. I'll try and keep a closer eye on it.

Just a little more info about my system:
4.2 using wiiflow 3.04
249 r21d2xv3b56
1tb wd elements & 1tb wd passport both fat32 32k block size i believe

*note: also I no longer have anything other than the v2b5 or v3 as the old ones i have del and moved on. I know I had tried with at least 1 of the v1's and several of the v2's, but neither yielded good results with the passport

trcmag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off Thanks.

This seems to make it really easy and straight forward.

But, I am having some problems.

When I get to the step that loads priiloader I get a blank screen or a black screen and nothing happens. I power off and power back on with the reset button pressed and I get no priiloader.

4.2u to 4.2u, guiformat.exe, virgin wii, 1TB WD Passport Essential SE USB

don't know what to do next.

I appologize for posting this again (last post was in another thread about 1TB WD Passport drive)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
IOS236 doesn't like your SD card.
When you load priiloader v0.4 downloaded by ModMii, u are first loading a forwarder that reloads IOS236 then loads the priiloader installer. After loading priiloader from the HBC, u get a blackscreen, but if u tap reset on your wii, it will probably return u to the HBC. But priiloader won't be installed just by loading the priiloader installer, u actually see text and hit buttons before it installs.

In short, try another SD card, others have had the EXACT same problem and using a different card fixed the problem for them.

Lastly, please post your ModMii questions in the ModMii thread. If you have d2x questions, then u can post them here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive...