Questions you're too afraid to ask elsewhere.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll start: In a gay marriage, who takes whose last name? In a straight marriage the woman takes the man's last name. In a gay marriage, does the bottom take the top's last name? Does the top take the bottom's? Do they both keep their last names from before? Or (and this is the most likely) is it a case by case basis?

Not homophobic, just genuinely curious. Since there aren't many gay couples I've heard of, I've had this question for quite a fucking while. So I decided I'd ask here.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My wife and I started out as a same-sex couple and I took her last name. It really depends on the couple. My uncle and his husband both kept their family names. My lesbian friend kept her last name and her wife took that name as well. I also know straight couples who both kept their family names.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another option, which has happened in my family, is to combine the last names, creating a "double barreled" last name joined with a dash. Whose last name goes first though, you might ask? The answer there is the same as the general answer to this question: it all depends on what the couple decide. Even in straight couples there will be ones who go against the norm.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are in love with a video game character, do you get aroused when playing a video game, when that character is in the game? Just wondering.

• Haha
Reactions: AncientBoi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
In a straight marriage the woman takes the man's last name.
Usually. Sometimes they don't.

1708080257654.png

Sometimes both spouses keep their last names. Sometimes they combine them (all those crusty old-timey noblesse family names didn't start out hyphenated). Speaking of crusty noblesse, usually the lower-ranking spouse would change last names when marrying into a more influential family. Or at the very least the kids would keep the more influential family's name. When they couldn't agree on who's the toffer toff, they would just hyphenate.

In Japan there's a tradition of adopting your son-in-law and giving him your family name so he could inherit a family business or retain the family title.

I know these aren't exactly common cases but there is precedence. Point is, there are no laws or hard rules.

So in a gay marriage it's up to the couple to decide what to do with their last names.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question that might sound silly, but I'm genuinely curious. Why do some people like pineapple on pizza? I've tried it once and I hated it. It was too sweet and tangy for my taste. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it. Is there something wrong with me? Am I missing out on some amazing flavor combination? Please don't judge me, I just want to know what the appeal is. Maybe I had a bad slice or something. If you like pineapple on pizza, can you explain why?
The correct way to eat it on pizza is with Ham also. Ham and pineapple go well together. Believe it or not, I like an all meat pizza with sauerkraut on top even. Yum!

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question that might sound silly, but I'm genuinely curious. Why do some people like pineapple on pizza? I've tried it once and I hated it. It was too sweet and tangy for my taste. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it. Is there something wrong with me? Am I missing out on some amazing flavor combination? Please don't judge me, I just want to know what the appeal is. Maybe I had a bad slice or something. If you like pineapple on pizza, can you explain why?
some actually like the sweet on their pizza, myself included...

at least it's not pear or banana on pizza, the italians and swedes are cool, but they're friggin weird, man

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might sound weird, but I have a question about dreams. Do you ever dream about someone you don't know in real life, but you feel a strong connection with them in the dream? Like, you're in love with them or they're your best friend or something. And then you wake up and you can't remember their face or name, but you still miss them and wonder if they exist somewhere. Is that normal? Does anyone else experience this? What does it mean? I feel like I'm losing someone important every time I have this kind of dream. It's really sad and confusing.
Got a better one - You ever have a Dream, and then after a varied amount of time later (Days, Weeks, Months or Years), it actually happens, but with a very slight difference. Everything is the same as the Dream, just only a small difference. Shit is weird as hell.

Reactions: Mattkos and BigOnYa

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BakerMan

Naming conventions such as surname were invented to make identification for taxation efficient during the Middle Ages. It has no precedent before 700 years ago in 30000 years of human history. New things are invented all the time, Medieval customs will not be practiced forever unless taxation efficiency is no longer a pleasantry; don't you just love paying taxes?

@Veho

It's not a tradition, it's a protocol for systemic taxation. To tax widows who inheret their husband's estate by being able to identify her easily.

Last edited by Tuhr,

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BakerMan

Naming conventions such as surname were invented to make identification for taxation efficient during the Middle Ages. It has no precedent before 1300 years ago in 30000 years of human history. New things are invented all the time, Medieval customs will not be practiced forever unless taxation efficiency is no longer a pleasantry; don't you just love paying taxes?

@Veho

It's not a tradition, it's a protocol for systemic taxation. To tax widows who inheret their husband's estate by being able to identify her easily.
1709153154786.jpeg

Reactions: Tuhr

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll start: In a gay marriage, who takes whose last name? In a straight marriage the woman takes the man's last name. In a gay marriage, does the bottom take the top's last name? Does the top take the bottom's? Do they both keep their last names from before? Or (and this is the most likely) is it a case by case basis?

Not homophobic, just genuinely curious. Since there aren't many gay couples I've heard of, I've had this question for quite a fucking while. So I decided I'd ask here.

So, Sonic is a caretaker that only takes? I miscalculated, surnames have only existed for 700 years. Even less traditional in history.

Last edited by Tuhr,

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Systemic taxation is very traditional. Been around for ages.
Taxation was invented by the Mesopotamians ~3000 years ago, around the time written history began. Before then there where hunter-gatherers and then barter for 27000 years. The name 'ancient times' is a misnomer, 3000 years ago was relatively modern and new compared to 30000 years of human history. There were many more ages of untaxed tradition. It's traditional to us, taxation is a relatively new invention. Surnames are even less traditional and a Medieval custom, that it exists as a method of making taxation efficient is its purpose. The naming convention of women adopting a surname is part of a how the new system operates in a different systemic way after 700 years ago. I meant systemic as a descriptor, not as in taxation was not always systemic but for 90% of human history there was no such system, custom or tradition to make a distinction and there are still hunter-gatherers on Earth. Our culture and traditions do not determine what all cultures consider traditional nor do they have less validity as a minority of humanity. Especially to any aliens observing us from an alien culture much more advanced than Mesopotamians and feudal times Medieval people or us.

Last edited by Tuhr,

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually. Sometimes they don't.

View attachment 420348

Sometimes both spouses keep their last names. Sometimes they combine them (all those crusty old-timey noblesse family names didn't start out hyphenated). Speaking of crusty noblesse, usually the lower-ranking spouse would change last names when marrying into a more influential family. Or at the very least the kids would keep the more influential family's name. When they couldn't agree on who's the toffer toff, they would just hyphenate.

In Japan there's a tradition of adopting your son-in-law and giving him your family name so he could inherit a family business or retain the family title.

I know these aren't exactly common cases but there is precedence. Point is, there are no laws or hard rules.

So in a gay marriage it's up to the couple to decide what to do with their last names.

Bingo. My buddy's wife ended up keeping her last name when they got married as all of her licensing/certifications for her profession are under her maiden name, and it would be a lot of work and headache to get everything re-issued if she took his last name. (Perhaps there's other factors too, but I know that's one of them). And hell, old WoW buddy of mine ended up taking his wife's last name when they got married.

tldr yeah pretty much just whoever takes whoever's name, or neither does, or whatever they want.

This might sound weird, but I have a question about dreams. Do you ever dream about someone you don't know in real life, but you feel a strong connection with them in the dream? Like, you're in love with them or they're your best friend or something. And then you wake up and you can't remember their face or name, but you still miss them and wonder if they exist somewhere. Is that normal? Does anyone else experience this? What does it mean? I feel like I'm losing someone important every time I have this kind of dream. It's really sad and confusing.

Hello from someone who suffers the same kind of dreams fairly often whenever I have dreams I can remember :yay: I'm pretty sure it's my dumb fucking brain just further punishing me for being lonely and depressed :hrth::tpi:

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sicklyboy

I agree, to me naming conventions are what you want them to be and they're different in diverse cultures to begin with. Spain uses two surnames, most Spanish people lose the second one if they immigrate to the US. They either choose assimilate to American naming conventions or they don't if they don't feel like it. In the end naming conventions are what people want them to be no matter the tradition or culture. In addition, it includes adopting the surname of a person you are married to irrespective of gender or sexual orientation as a second surname. Gay people in Spain already do.

Last edited by Tuhr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto