Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The fact of the matter is davebaol is in the wrong here. However, 99% of you guys aren't going to do anything useful with the source code anyway (or even know where to start doing so) so just stfu about it. davebaol, you should technically be including source with *any* binary release but I don't actually care so I'm not hounding you about it, just letting you know... but the thing I will stress is that you cannot tell someone else that they can't redistribute a GPL binary. I understand you don't want beta-quality binaries floating around to the general public while you're still testing them but that's just something you're gonna have to deal with. You can refuse to offer support to users using those betas, but you can't disallow redistribution. By not giving out source, those people redistributing obviously can't redistribute the source either so technically that redistribution is breaking the license, but that is secondary to the original offense of not giving out the source in the first place.

;tl/dr davebaol should have released the source with ANY binary release, and can't disallow redistribution, so go ahead and post links to the betas (if you're uploading them as wads, that's a worse copyright offense anyway...). If you want the source, PM davebaol and become a tester. Everyone else, move along.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he has no obligation to release the source. The GPL only stipulates that anybody who distributes binaries must provide source if requested. If nobody that davebaol gave the binary to directly requested the source from him, then he has followed the GPL. Anybody who has the binary is distributing illegally if they are unable to access the source, if they want to, then need to request it from the person who provided the binaries to them (assuming they have the source).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
;tl/dr davebaol should have released the source with ANY binary release, and can't disallow redistribution, so go ahead and post links to the betas (if you're uploading them as wads, that's a worse copyright offense anyway...). If you want the source, PM davebaol and become a tester. Everyone else, move along.
no he is not required to distribute it alongside, thats just the common way to do it because its often more convienient then dealing with requests

yes he can not disallow redistribution, but as he is not doing it that is not a problem
the tester is not allowed to distribute the binary while not having (and offering) the source
he would have to request and recieve the source first, but according to davebaol no one has done so

Squall Leonhart

Trophies
Website
vba-m.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think davebaol is right
the other guy did the potential violation

the testers have the right to request the sources, but are not obliged to do so
aparently no one did
as long as davebaol made them aware of the gpl, and did not denied a request he is im compliance

the testers have the right to distribute the binary only if they provide the sources upon request too
because he knows that no one of the testers requested the source, davebaol can tell that hey can not provide it
and as an result of that the download does not comply with the gpl

The post cited was never about a request for source

@Slowking
you'd better edit your post and remove that link since I've never released d2x v7beta sources.
It means that link is breaking GPL rules and this is not tolerated on gbatemp.
Be patient, I'll release it officialy sooner or later :)

it was Dave being in the wrong for citing a rule stipulating that the GPL prevents others from releasing source archives because the person they recieved it from was not happy with them releasing it.

As i followed on with, if he wants that kind of power over his code, a custom license is the only way to go.

If someone hosted those private betas somewhere on the net I'm not responsible for that.

Exactly, so asking that they be removed from a link is outside of your control as well. :)
GBATemp following through and removing a user just because they posted code outside of your control would just be an abuse of power.

Basically, it just means anyone posting code that the dev isn't happy with is an ass for not waiting.

Squall Leonhart

Trophies
Website
vba-m.com
XP
Country
Australia
From what I can tell it's actually you that is breaking the GPL.

Anyone who receives the binary has a right to the source code & also the right to distribute the binary and source code.

http://www.gnu.org/l...sTheGPLAllowNDA

This was nothing to do with binary and source distribution, the user he "warned" gave a link to a source package, which given he has the files in hand, said user also has the freedom to rehost or derive from those source files.

You took it in an entirely wrong direction im afraid ;p, which confused others and put Dave off when i was only trying to tell him that there was no such restriction in the gpl/.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think davebaol is right
the other guy did the potential violation

the testers have the right to request the sources, but are not obliged to do so
aparently no one did
as long as davebaol made them aware of the gpl, and did not denied a request he is im compliance

the testers have the right to distribute the binary only if they provide the sources upon request too
because he knows that no one of the testers requested the source, davebaol can tell that hey can not provide it
and as an result of that the download does not comply with the gpl

If he gave them the source and binary and they only leaked the binary then yes, it is them that violated the GPL.
If they only received the binary and leaked it, then it is dave that violated it.

If it were 100% the work of dave then it wouldn't be a problem, because he could release it under a different license.
But waninkoko released it as GPL & it's his copyright that is currently being violated.

I don't care that much, but it's pointless to make stuff up about the GPL.

It would be annoying though if dave did stop developing cios d2x and left us without the latest source (which is basically why the GPL was written the way it was).

No, he has no obligation to release the source. The GPL only stipulates that anybody who distributes binaries must provide source if requested. If nobody that davebaol gave the binary to directly requested the source from him, then he has followed the GPL. Anybody who has the binary is distributing illegally if they are unable to access the source, if they want to, then need to request it from the person who provided the binaries to them (assuming they have the source).

Hogwash. Witholding the source is not a secret way of preventing GPL binary distribution. The person that distributes it doesn't have to be able to provide it, as long as they can tell you who to ask for it... and the person to ask for it is dave. We could play it by the book and contact everyone that has leaked it and if they don't provide the source we could get the FSF to sue them, then they would be forced to ask dave for it anyway and if he doesn't provide it the FSF could sue him too. But that is pretty heavy handed, don't you agree? Much better for everything to resolve itself amicably.

I don't understand why dave would refuse to distribute the source anyway, unless it was a misguided attempt at trying to limit binary distribution.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If he gave them the source and binary and they only leaked the binary then yes, it is them that violated the GPL.
If they only received the binary and leaked it, then it is dave that violated it.

Hogwash. Witholding the source is not a secret way of preventing GPL binary distribution. The person that distributes it doesn't have to be able to provide it, as long as they can tell you who to ask for it... and the person to ask for it is dave. We could play it by the book and contact everyone that has leaked it and if they don't provide the source we could get the FSF to sue them, then they would be forced to ask dave for it anyway and if he doesn't provide it the FSF could sue him too. But that is pretty heavy handed, don't you agree? Much better for everything to resolve itself amicably.

Bullsit
Lets say I download ubuntu install CD (which comes without source) and upload it to sharehoster for you guys to get. (I do NOT download the source from somewhere else too.)
Then it is not Canonical who violates the GPL, it is me because I can't provide the source to you.

Witholding the source would prevent GPL compliant binary distribution (but violate the GPL too).
But the point is that no one that claims that davebaol did that.

Who provides the binary has to provide the source too, linking to a 3rd party is not sufficient.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm begging everyone, just drop it. This situation will resolve itself in a little bit of time, but only if we don't discourage davebaol by continuing on this discussion (otherwise there is a very real possibility of the d2x project being dropped). If this issue hasn't resolved itself after a few days or weeks then fine, bring it up again. But I don't think this issue should be the topic of constant debate every single day.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, thanks for the advice and that. But I still would like to know if there is a solution as I read that many people do get it working.

BUT HOW???
Are you using the LoCAL release? Pretty sure that works fine for all 3 games for me, on cIOSX 7beta r417Wiiflow.
Well, I thought I'd double check my statement here. It WAS correct at the time (as my save games on the 3rd of the trilogy attest), but it is no longer true now, on the versions I'm running above.
It was working previously, on an earlier wiiflow/cIOSx. Going to try some regression testing to see what/where this was introduced.
Sorry for the misleading statement earlier.
FYI...Now using WiiFlow r417a4 and MP3 is working again - not a cIOSx issue at all. Apologies for the waste of thead post space.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm begging everyone, just drop it. This situation will resolve itself in a little bit of time, but only if we don't discourage davebaol by continuing on this discussion (otherwise there is a very real possibility of the d2x project being dropped). If this issue hasn't resolved itself after a few days or weeks then fine, bring it up again. But I don't think this issue should be the topic of constant debate every single day.

My issue isn't with forcing dave to release the source, just that everyone is making stuff up about the GPL I don't even like the GPL.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

My issue isn't with forcing dave to release the source, just that everyone is making stuff up about the GPL I don't even like the GPL.
ROFL! Suddenly I don't like the law against committing murder. You best watch your back. ;)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dave and the rest of the "known" guys in cios dev. Thank you , you guys are the best.
Remember there are people adoring your work. Most complaining people are just jealous I think.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, i would not go ar far as ADORING, but i hope we can drop this too.

Davebaol should have said GBAtemp rules don't allow linking to dol files and such if the dev. did not gave his/her permission..
After that it got out of hand again...which was not needed..and thats all i am going to say about it.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any idea on when a final version of v7 will be release.
I want to play with some of the nand stuff on usb loader gx but I don't want to install the beta stuff and than an official v7 gets released soon after.

If it's gonna be a while, (like next year) than I'll install the beta, but if a public V7 is gonna be release soon, than I'll wait.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Any idea on when a final version of v7 will be release.
I want to play with some of the nand stuff on usb loader gx but I don't want to install the beta stuff and than an official v7 gets released soon after.

If it's gonna be a while, (like next year) than I'll install the beta, but if a public V7 is gonna be release soon, than I'll wait.
I was actually coming to this thread to ask the same thing. I currently use/have V7 Beta for everything but 249 and 250.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device!