Hacking Chiip Opensource Modchip

kle89

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, i have a problem that i hope someone can help me out with? Before i was able to program the atmega a bunch of times with the programmer successfully. However today when i tried to flash it , i got an error saying device not recognized and for me to check the connections. I did that and double checked that the programmer was all in tact. I tried again, same deal so i tried programming with the other computers, same problem
frown.gif
. In the end i just stuck the chip into the wii to see if it worked. and it didn't . Did the chip die or is there a way to restore it? much help appreciated.

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, i have a problem that i hope someone can help me out with? Before i was able to program the atmega a bunch of times with the programmer successfully. However today when i tried to flash it , i got an error saying device not recognized and for me to check the connections. I did that and double checked that the programmer was all in tact. I tried again, same deal so i tried programming with the other computers, same problem
frown.gif
. In the end i just stuck the chip into the wii to see if it worked. and it didn't . Did the chip die or is there a way to restore it? much help appreciated.
Did you put it in the programmer the right way?

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also make sure that you try to reinstall the giveo driver(or whatever it is called) and see if that works.

Also do what fatal said.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Thanks a lot. That really helps. One more question though.

How do you solder wires/resistors/led/capacitor to a chip? Is it the same as soldering wires to a point on the wii's dvd drive?

Since the points are bigger and precision truly doesn't matter, you can glob solder everywhere, especially when connecting the 5 resistors to the capactior. The DSub has tubes on the back end for the wires to go in. Just tin the wires and shove it in the holes and apply more solder. The pogrammer is extremely easy to make, just follow the instructions and look at the user pics. When I did it, I soldered everything to the DSub first and then connected it to the IC Socket.

So i can just heat up the lines on the socket and apply solder like normal, except its even easier because you can just stick lots of solder on there and it won't really matter, as in it's not as sensitive/easy to break as the motherboard?

Yeah, the programmer isn't heat sensitive and the points aren't close together. You can be as reckless as you want with the programmer. The one I built is ugly as shit but it works. Once you get the parts together for the programmer, you'll realize how easy it is to build.

orb_nsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Radioshack carries all the parts needed (except the Atmel chip). You can get the Atmel chip for free from Atmel, just order a few samples. I ordered 8 a week ago and I haven't seem them yet, but my friend already built the Chiip for me.

This is brilliant! I was looking to get a couple extra Atmel chips, I never thought I could get them for free! Thanks for the tip. Incidentally, which Atmel ATMEGA chip order number did you use for the free sample form?

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Part_Number_1 : ATMega 8 PDIP28

I have no idea if that's the right one or not. I asked my friend who ordered his and he said it's correct. The chip I have is 'ATmega8L-8PU'. I have no idea if that's what I ordered, so you're better off putting ATmega8L-8PU on the request.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how far away is upgrading via DVD? I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to install the Chiip directly or to use the TSSP. I don't know if I want to use the TSSP, because that requires more soldering, and I have no experience, but at the same time, I don't want to constantly screw and unscrew the Wii.

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a user on the openwii forums that is working on updating via dvd, this could then be applied to the chiip firmare. Although I personally like the Openwii firmware better then the Chiip firmware, since it basically does the same thing, in addition to it also have the the regionfree(70%).

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Chiip should be upgraded via DVD with no additional wires. Right now, it's the best bet. The Atmega chips offer more flash storage than the PICs and I think a lot of open source modders are going to start using these chips more than the PICs.

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a quick and dirty solution for now, just run the wires through the fan holes, and solder the socket outside of the wii. If you trim the wires and tape them down, nothing moves and it's out of the way, and you can update easily.

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
31.03.2007, 11:56 CET

First of all:
A new Chiip version is out: Beta 6, available in the Download section.

Changes to beta 5:

* 6x DVD speed - no more stuttering videos
   (can be switched to 2x to reduce noise using an easy trick: start a game, return to the Wii menu and start the game again)
  * Improved DVD+RW media acceptance
  * Improved fault tolerance
   (chip automatically resets if something wents wrong during the disc login - simply wait until the LED turns back on again)
  * Improved code

Beta 6 is just a "public test version" though, there will probably be a new one very soon. I expect it to not work properly for everyone, especially on D2B drives. I really need some feedback from people with D2B drives! And what I actually need most is someone with a D2B drive and a DVDTool compatible cable that would run one little DVDTool command for me. Please send an email to chiip(AT)trashmail(DOT)net if you can help!

There will be a new version with Wii and Gamecube region free soon.

Now for some important other news:
You've probably realized that there was no update for over two weeks. Not only was I really busy the last few weeks, I was also undecided if I should really continue the Chiip firmware development at all. As you see I have decided to do so, but meanwhile I've realized one thing:

The decision that Chiip shouldn't be truly, undelayed open source was a stupid one. I simply do not have the time and resources to handle something like Chiip & implement new features all alone, at least not with the same speed as a commercial project like OpenWii (which recently seems to more and more turn into being ClosedWii).

So instead of simply stopping Chiip firmware development, I want to turn Chiip into something really community-based. I simply don't want to be about the only one behind Chiip, I want to reduce my Chiip involvement and let others play a bigger part.

First of all, I will soon publish Chiip under THE free software open source license, GPL. Btw, one side effect of using the GPL license will be that commercial uses will be allowed then - so to all the modchip installation stores that kept asking me for permission to install Chiip firmware into customer consoles etc.: You will soon be allowed to do so. And without paying any fees at all! Publishing under the GPL license will happen as soon as

* someone with a D2B drive and DVDTool cable has contacted me

and

* a version is reported to work about as fine as Beta 5

Since being open source doesn't necessarily mean others will be able to add new interesting features (if you've had a look at the OpenWii or WiiFree source you'll know what I mean - it's all just reads/writes to cryptic memory addresses), I will publish as much background information as possible to let others really comprehend what's being done and enable them to find new features by themselves. The Chiip source has always been organized to work with DVDTool compatible cables as well, which means that you can develop using C on a normal PC running Linux/Windows - and for testing, you don't need to flash a microcontroller, you can run the code directly on your PC. Your PC only needs to be connected to your Wii with a simple parallel port cable. Once you're finished, a simple recompile should automatically produce versions that run on all supported microcontrollers.

Furthermore there will be forum soon. It's a big mistake that there is none yet.

To sum it up: Chiip now desperatly needs more people being involved, a real team behind it. So if you think you could help in any way or even take over some part of Chiip, please send me a mail!

For example, Chiip needs...

* People who have experience with Gamecube homebrew development
  * People who have DVDTool compatible cables
  * People with coding experience who could improve/port the code etc.
  * People who have some knowledge of the DVD controller internals
  * People who will test new firmware versions on different region/different chipset/different firmware version Wiis (there will soon be a form that you can use to apply as a firmware tester)
  * People who could improve the Wiki in any way - for example by correcting spelling errors, managing certain pages like the user pics/shopping cart recommendations/pages about different microcontrollers etc.

Please, send a mail to chiip(AT)trashmail(DOT)net if you think you can help!
Looks like Cadex has re-released beta 6. He also has decided to release Chiip under GPL.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
31.03.2007, 11:56 CET

First of all:
A new Chiip version is out: Beta 6, available in the Download section.

Changes to beta 5:

* 6x DVD speed - no more stuttering videos
   (can be switched to 2x to reduce noise using an easy trick: start a game, return to the Wii menu and start the game again)
  * Improved DVD+RW media acceptance
  * Improved fault tolerance
   (chip automatically resets if something wents wrong during the disc login - simply wait until the LED turns back on again)
  * Improved code

Beta 6 is just a "public test version" though, there will probably be a new one very soon. I expect it to not work properly for everyone, especially on D2B drives. I really need some feedback from people with D2B drives! And what I actually need most is someone with a D2B drive and a DVDTool compatible cable that would run one little DVDTool command for me. Please send an email to chiip(AT)trashmail(DOT)net if you can help!

There will be a new version with Wii and Gamecube region free soon.

Now for some important other news:
You've probably realized that there was no update for over two weeks. Not only was I really busy the last few weeks, I was also undecided if I should really continue the Chiip firmware development at all. As you see I have decided to do so, but meanwhile I've realized one thing:

The decision that Chiip shouldn't be truly, undelayed open source was a stupid one. I simply do not have the time and resources to handle something like Chiip & implement new features all alone, at least not with the same speed as a commercial project like OpenWii (which recently seems to more and more turn into being ClosedWii).

So instead of simply stopping Chiip firmware development, I want to turn Chiip into something really community-based. I simply don't want to be about the only one behind Chiip, I want to reduce my Chiip involvement and let others play a bigger part.

First of all, I will soon publish Chiip under THE free software open source license, GPL. Btw, one side effect of using the GPL license will be that commercial uses will be allowed then - so to all the modchip installation stores that kept asking me for permission to install Chiip firmware into customer consoles etc.: You will soon be allowed to do so. And without paying any fees at all! Publishing under the GPL license will happen as soon as

* someone with a D2B drive and DVDTool cable has contacted me

and

* a version is reported to work about as fine as Beta 5

Since being open source doesn't necessarily mean others will be able to add new interesting features (if you've had a look at the OpenWii or WiiFree source you'll know what I mean - it's all just reads/writes to cryptic memory addresses), I will publish as much background information as possible to let others really comprehend what's being done and enable them to find new features by themselves. The Chiip source has always been organized to work with DVDTool compatible cables as well, which means that you can develop using C on a normal PC running Linux/Windows - and for testing, you don't need to flash a microcontroller, you can run the code directly on your PC. Your PC only needs to be connected to your Wii with a simple parallel port cable. Once you're finished, a simple recompile should automatically produce versions that run on all supported microcontrollers.

Furthermore there will be forum soon. It's a big mistake that there is none yet.

To sum it up: Chiip now desperatly needs more people being involved, a real team behind it. So if you think you could help in any way or even take over some part of Chiip, please send me a mail!

For example, Chiip needs...

* People who have experience with Gamecube homebrew development
  * People who have DVDTool compatible cables
  * People with coding experience who could improve/port the code etc.
  * People who have some knowledge of the DVD controller internals
  * People who will test new firmware versions on different region/different chipset/different firmware version Wiis (there will soon be a form that you can use to apply as a firmware tester)
  * People who could improve the Wiki in any way - for example by correcting spelling errors, managing certain pages like the user pics/shopping cart recommendations/pages about different microcontrollers etc.

Please, send a mail to chiip(AT)trashmail(DOT)net if you think you can help!
Looks like Cadex has re-released beta 6. He also has decided to release Chiip under GPL.

That post made me feel warm and fuzzy inside
nds.gif
gbasp.gif
yaynds.gif
gbasp2.gif
gba.gif
rofl2.gif

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I think when OpenWii releases their next firmware, I'll flash that. They already offer what Chiip does and they seem to be more dedicated and competent with this. I think this will be Chiip's last release.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
I think when OpenWii releases their next firmware, I'll flash that. They already offer what Chiip does and they seem to be more dedicated and competent with this.
Feel free to think that. But as far as current firmwares (Chiip b6, OpenWii 2.0.1) are concerned, when comparing the functions both have, Chiip's firmware works better.

I have examined the OpenWii code and while it does its job it is neither very well structured nor well documented. Part of the reason for this might be the limited capabilities of some of the chips it is intended to run on. And it clearly has some shortcomings. I.E. they initialize the drive twice to patch it, Chiip does without the additional clicking which always made me a little uneasy.

Granted, for the time being, Cadex is the only one to work on the project. But when he's releasing it into the wild, I guess we'll see a lot of activity on the project. The Chiip hardware basis is much more powerful and convenient than all the other chips OpenWii has to support due to its legacy.

QUOTEI think this will be Chiip's last release.
I disagree. If Cadex wanted to halt development, he would have done so with beta5.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Well, OpenWii is open source and they're still asking for help. I doubt a lot of people are suddenly going to show up and start working on the Chiip when it comes out. I can't attest to anything for the OpenWii as I havent' flashed it, but I doubt the people on their team are going to go over and work on Chiip or, at the very least, use some of Chiip's code.

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whose to say that people who work on open wii wouldnt also take a shot on chiip and vice-versa. i mean we've all heard it before, the future of dvd drive chipping lies in the atmega due to its bigger storage and its wide rage of options as far as what it can do. i view the openwii vs. chiip firmware as a godsend; because now we have some hole-hearted competition which usually translates to new features.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Well, OpenWii is open source and they're still asking for help. I doubt a lot of people are suddenly going to show up and start working on the Chiip when it comes out.
Hardware and code differences aside, don't think of the two projects as rivals. With both source codes being public they are bound to become allies. Neither project can "hide" their findings and so they will influence each other.

And, on a personal sidenote: It's about damn time. The different projects (Chiip, OpenWii, WiiFree, ModCheap) have achieved so much and yet they have successfully prevented the greater common development by keeping their "secrets" locked up. (And worse, insulting the other projects.) When it comes to free and open source projects, such a behaviour is quite immature. I hope they have realized that the fame lies within their public effort, not within their secrets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro