• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2excal7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Thanks to Averne's response. I think the optimization job is done. Now from my test the latency can be as low as 46ms like my capture below.

Latest build is attached below, and if there is no any big change about ffmpeg, there will be no more update. Current performance can even support fps games well. Latest code is uploaded to https://git.sr.ht/~kkwong/chiaki, hope one day it can be integraded to official build.
Okay so, I've been kinda trying to push the app to its limits. I went streaming with 1080p60 while Docked, and found that a 1.4 GHz CPU overclock (everything else at stock) seems to be the sweet spot. However, I wanted to know how low I can get the CPU to go before the stream starts struggling, and I noticed a potential bug(?) with the stream's adaptive bitrate behaviour:

It never completely recovers back to its initial bitrate.

To replicate this behaviour, start a docked 1080p60 stream with a 1.4 GHz CPU overclock, then open the Tesla overlay menu. You might notice that at this point, the stream will struggle a bit as it tries to decode the video and render the overlay at the same time - this will tank the stream's bitrate slightly as it tries to adapt. Next, turn the OC off and let it run at stock speed - this will REALLY make the bitrate tank. Keep the overlay menu opened for at least 3 or so seconds, then close it. Wait another 3 or so seconds, then bring the CPU overclock back on to 1.4 GHz. At this point, the bitrate never recovers, and until you restart the app, the stream will continue to look like s***.

Last edited by 2excal7,

kaeotik

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay so, I've been kinda trying to push the app to its limits. I went streaming with 1080p60 while Docked, and found that a 1.4 GHz CPU overclock (everything else at stock) seems to be the sweet spot. However, I wanted to know how low I can get the CPU to go before the stream starts struggling, and I noticed a potential bug(?) with the stream's adaptive bitrate behaviour:

It never completely recovers back to its initial bitrate.

To replicate this behaviour, start a docked 1080p60 stream with a 1.4 GHz CPU overclock, then open the Tesla overlay menu. You might notice that at this point, the stream will struggle a bit as it tries to decode the video and render the overlay at the same time - this will tank the stream's bitrate slightly as it tries to adapt. Next, turn the OC off and let it run at stock speed - this will REALLY make the bitrate tank. Keep the overlay menu opened for at least 3 or so seconds, then close it. Wait another 3 or so seconds, then bring the CPU overclock back on to 1.4 GHz. At this point, the bitrate never recovers, and until you restart the app, the stream will continue to look like s***.
This is what I do:
- Open overlay
- Set OC as the global profile
- Open Chiaki

Seems to work fine. If I try to open the overlay while Chiaki is running, Atmosphere will crash.
As long as I'm near a reliable wifi connection, I get a perfect 1080p stream with no stutters or quality loss (specially after kkwongs updates)

2excal7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
This is what I do:
- Open overlay
- Set OC as the global profile
- Open Chiaki

Seems to work fine. If I try to open the overlay while Chiaki is running, Atmosphere will crash.
As long as I'm near a reliable wifi connection, I get a perfect 1080p stream with no stutters or quality loss (specially after kkwongs updates)
The point that I'm trying to make is that, in low-quality connection situations (e.g while on the go with mobile hotspot), should the bitrate drop at any point, it'll not make an effort to raise the bitrate back up when the network conditions improve. You'd have to restart the app and reconnect to get your quality back.

This is obviously not gonna be applicable to everyone else's use case (which i assume is mostly just at home), but it certainly does mine.

Reactions: sith

kkwong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The point that I'm trying to make is that, in low-quality connection situations (e.g while on the go with mobile hotspot), should the bitrate drop at any point, it'll not make an effort to raise the bitrate back up when the network conditions improve. You'd have to restart the app and reconnect to get your quality back.

This is obviously not gonna be applicable to everyone else's use case (which i assume is mostly just at home), but it certainly does mine.
You indeed found a bug that I cannot resolve. In my development, I found that everytime I toggle tesla menu, nvdec would hang for a very short time ~ about 2ms. During this period, current decode frame will corrupt, and for next few frames, the corruption will continue and then recover.

That's a conflict between nvdec and tesla, it can be imporoved in future ffmpeg version. For now, setting clock before entering stream is the only way.

Reactions: sith

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the latest nro for Switch, trying to play Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PS5 I get occasional garbage on screen and slow down that lasts a few seconds then goes away but then comes back every few minutes. Any fix?
Post automatically merged:

PlayStation Remote Play [NSP Forwarder for Chiaki]

Where is it? There's nothing to download on your post.

Tmofnrev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the latest nro for Switch, trying to play Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PS5 I get occasional garbage on screen and slow down that lasts a few seconds then goes away but then comes back every few minutes. Any fix?

Where is it? There's nothing to download on your post.
If been playing rebirth just fine 🤔 even in graphics mode. Maybe switch to performance mode?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using performance mode since the beginning.

Could it be my internet connection? I only have 300 mb download and that's wired.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I use it for a regular PS4 as well and it works fine, only PS5 am I having issues.

IDK then sorry 😔 I been having zero issues and my wifi is pretty shitty as well lol

Are you doing any OCing on your Switch? Is that required for PS5 to play smoothly?

I tried it on Windows and it played fine, I'm not OCing my Switch though.

Last edited by Jayinem,

kkwong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah I use it for a regular PS4 as well and it works fine, only PS5 am I having issues.

Are you doing any OCing on your Switch? Is that required for PS5 to play smoothly?

I tried it on Windows and it played fine, I'm not OCing my Switch though.
Try using 5g wifi and set MTU to 1500? Switch's wifi module is not as good as your PC, so any packet loss in connection will lead to frame corruption.

If you're playing in handheld mode and using 720p, no OC is needed. 1080p may need to boost cpu to ~1400mhz.

Last edited by kkwong,
Reactions: Jayinem and RAGER

Tmofnrev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is just a Forwarder pointing out to switch/chiaki.nro. So, You can set the overclocking profile and run it from home.
Correct, I gathered that from the post you replied to. I'm asking if you've used kkwongs most recent up to date build that he posted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright