Gaming Certain Wii Channels going out of service in June.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about the store, the Store will work since it goes to the Shop Channel stuffs. I'm talking about Rock Band 3 Multiplayer

Actually I only mentioned the Rock Band store as a example of items not being shut down. What I said was items using Wiiconnect24 are definitly being shut down. If it was everything they would have said. Multiplayer that does not need Wiiconnect24 will still work. For example I just tried Goldeneye multiplayer without Wiiconnec24 on, it worked just fine. By contrast without Wiiconnect24 the Weather, News, Nintendo, Checkoutthemiis, or everyone votes channel refuse to function. Also one channel I suspect that is being shut off that is not mention: Wii Speak channel. That also requires WiiConnect24. Nintendo mentioned emails to console, that also requires Wiiconnect24. The items they have mentioned are channels that can update/download while the Wii is in standby mode (wiiconnect24). Emails also usually download when the system is in standby, although I think it will if you sit at the home menu without doing anything long enough.

As for Nintendo releasing a update to remove the dead channels: I very much doubt it. They see the Wii as dead and have no intention of supporting it further. Right now they are trying to keep the WiiU alive and not doing very well (for example in March they sold 50,000 WiiU and 80,000 Wii's lol). It is not a good indicator when your old console outsells your latest one. Nintendo is in trouble and I suspect it is another reason why they are pulling the channels so soon. Wiiconnect24 channels use bandwidth when the Wii's are not in use (well some, I don't think Wii Speak does channel and perhaps they are leaving it up, but I doubt it). While I know it is a small amount, when you multiply that by the huge number of installed consoles, and the fact they are bleeding red ink in buckets. And, well, it is likely the reason.

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I removed every channel except HBC, Mii and Disc. I'd remove the Mii Channel but I'd still like to create Mii's. After removing all those channels it only actually frees up one block anyway.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I removed every channel except HBC, Mii and Disc. I'd remove the Mii Channel but I'd still like to create Mii's. After removing all those channels it only actually frees up one block anyway.

I figured as much. I wouldn't bother going to the trouble. For those that don't want to see them anymore Just slide the channels off to the right for two pages (holdd your pointer on them then press A and B together then move it to the right...the page should shift).

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this is a sad day... and plus there's no more songs to download on RB3 i think there done with that. can't wait to june to find out if this is true or not. (about GH:WOR and RB3)

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes no more weekly songs for RB3. It is well documented/announced at rockband.com. You can still download the 2000+ songs though. They stopped RBN downloads for the Wii some time ago, but all the company released songs are still available (covers albums vs small bands or custom songs by fans which is RBN)

Sascha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I never really use any of these channels anymore but I used to earlier and I will never have the chance to start them again.
Personally I would like an update, which would change the channels to some kind of legacy offline experience. They can't take my globe. :(

Edit: Anyone up for some last minute Mii exchanges for the Mii parade? PM me: 2429-7223-7070-7214

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did like to see the headlines and weather when I powered up, but hated that I had to occassionally open the channels to get them to update continuously. They should have just had it as a set up your location and we'll stream the local info through the channel as long as you are connected.

It doesn't cost that much more to keep the servers up, or migrate the services to the WiiU's servers - Especially when you already have the infrastructure in place and have an ongoing service for other systems. The upfront cost is the killer... yes, yes, there's bandwith, space, electricty, cooling, etc... but you could easily migrate these as virtual servers on the new WiiU hardware to consolidate.

I know nothing lasts forever, as mentioned Sega Channel and other services. The difference is that either the userbase wained and diminished drastically, or the technology used to provide the service (i.e. dialup and the modem cartridge) became antiquated. In those cases, I can see a service shutdown... I bet the Wii's usage numbers are still fairly strong/consistent as far as usage goes.

I can't imagine that the use of Wii's services have dropped so much that this is really warranted. I also doubt the costs of maintaining the services is significant. I don't care so much about the channels, but i games that were bought for the online features were affected, then I think that would suck. I bet it's more of a push to get Wii owners to buy a WiiU... but then again, I guess if I bought a WiiU, my Wii games that were affected by the network shutdown still wouldn't work in vWii... wonder if they thought that through... it's a hit to the WiiU's appeal for people with games that will still be crippled on that machine... albeit a minor drawback.

That said, I don't really have a desire to buy a WiiU either way... Hopefully the shutdown won't affect many games' multiplayer modes... those are often more fun than the solo missions.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I did like to see the headlines and weather when I powered up, but hated that I had to occassionally open the channels to get them to update continuously. They should have just had it as a set up your location and we'll stream the local info through the channel as long as you are connected.
But the WIi has no OS or common code at all. A program can't do anything unless it's running, and the Wii can't multi-task official programs due to how it was designed.
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Rydian

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never really use any of these channels anymore but I used to earlier and I will never have the chance to start them again.
Personally I would like an update, which would change the channels to some kind of legacy offline experience. They can't take my globe. :(

Edit: Anyone up for some last minute Mii exchanges for the Mii parade? PM me: 2429-7223-7070-7214

Well you still can start them until June 28th. I am using them now. I forgot that the news channel did have decent news feeds. Granted it is easier/better to post/share/bookmark with a PC (actually it is not possible to do so at all from the news channel) but still it is a decent program. The globe aspect is interesting where you can zoom in on a location and see what articles are in that area. It is very smooth and fast, much easier than a browser on the Wii (in general). I know it doesn't cover a vast amount of feeds or info, but still they do a decent job of covering what is important to most people. Then there is the email aspect that is going poof and that some games use that to add people to friends lists.

It will be missed.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It doesn't cost that much more to keep the servers up, or migrate the services to the WiiU's servers - Especially when you already have the infrastructure in place and have an ongoing service for other systems. The upfront cost is the killer... yes, yes, there's bandwith, space, electricty, cooling, etc... but you could easily migrate these as virtual servers on the new WiiU hardware to consolidate.

I know nothing lasts forever, as mentioned Sega Channel and other services. The difference is that either the userbase wained and diminished drastically, or the technology used to provide the service (i.e. dialup and the modem cartridge) became antiquated. In those cases, I can see a service shutdown... I bet the Wii's usage numbers are still fairly strong/consistent as far as usage goes.

I can't imagine that the use of Wii's services have dropped so much that this is really warranted. I also doubt the costs of maintaining the services is significant. I don't care so much about the channels, but i games that were bought for the online features were affected, then I think that would suck. I bet it's more of a push to get Wii owners to buy a WiiU... but then again, I guess if I bought a WiiU, my Wii games that were affected by the network shutdown still wouldn't work in vWii... wonder if they thought that through... it's a hit to the WiiU's appeal for people with games that will still be crippled on that machine... albeit a minor drawback.

That said, I don't really have a desire to buy a WiiU either way... Hopefully the shutdown won't affect many games' multiplayer modes... those are often more fun than the solo missions.

Hmm the channels always updated for me if wiiconnect24 was on, that is what standby mode was for, it would download news, weather and email messages. If you had the standby on with wiiconnect24, the news showed up instantly, if you didn't then the weather (takes about 3 seconds) and news (takes about 30 seconds) have to download before you can use them.

And I very much agree that it is too soon, especially with the Wii U not selling well. It would not really hurt them to keep the channels going and oit doesn't give a good PR image that the older gen's features will be removed so quickly. And it makes you ask "what are they going to pull from the Wii U at the drop of a hat?" People usually like a company that stands behind their products and doesn't toss them into the trash as soon as the latest model rolls out. I personally don't see anything on the Wii U I have any interest in, and Nintendo's decisions thus far are doing anything BUT convincing me otherwise.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't care about this at all, but not being able to use the Mii Plaza or Wii Message Board anymore is a bit of a pity. I didn't send messages much but it's nice having the option, and without Mii sending my Wii would not be full of cool Miis :P

I hope they release an update that removes the useless channels. I can just use AnyTitleDeleter or a WAD manager, but for those who don't have a hacked Wii it would be a bit annoying having 5 useless channels on their system menu.
Is the Today and Tomorrow channel going out of service as well? Not that I ever used it, but unless those servers are ran by someone else it makes sense they would shut down those servers as well.

I'm sure there are people who actually used those channels though, though it would not be hard to just check the news and weather elsewhere. The Nintendo Channel is the only thing I think people will really miss, it had a bit of a lack of content but they could've easily done something about that and the DS demos that were on there can't be gotten anywhere else.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about this at all, but not being able to use the Mii Plaza or Wii Message Board anymore is a bit of a pity. I didn't send messages much but it's nice having the option, and without Mii sending my Wii would not be full of cool Miis :P

I hope they release an update that removes the useless channels. I can just use AnyTitleDeleter or a WAD manager, but for those who don't have a hacked Wii it would be a bit annoying having 5 useless channels on their system menu.
Is the Today and Tomorrow channel going out of service as well? Not that I ever used it, but unless those servers are ran by someone else it makes sense they would shut down those servers as well.

I'm sure there are people who actually used those channels though, though it would not be hard to just check the news and weather elsewhere. The Nintendo Channel is the only thing I think people will really miss, it had a bit of a lack of content but they could've easily done something about that and the DS demos that were on there can't be gotten anywhere else.

Well some games did apparently require the use of the message board to friend etc. It was more common in the later games so you didn't have a unique friend code for each game (so I hear, haven't ran into one that used this system so far but then again I don't have many multiplayer Wii games at the moment). Anyway if true then that effectively hinders the multiplayer of said games. While this shutdown isn't earth shattering it is annoying and kind of premature considering that the Wii is still outselling the Wii U lol.

As for removing the channels, they are so small it really isn't worth it to remove them (someone here did and it freed up one or two blocks if I recall correctly). Just slide the the channels over two screens and you will likely never see them again. After all who has that many channels on the real nand? That brings up something I always thought was odd about the Wii. They gave you several pages for channels, yet with most games I have tried, after say four or five your wii memory is full lol. I never even had two screen fulls of channels due to the tiny Wii memory. Kind of ironic really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: