Gaming Certain Wii Channels going out of service in June.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna suck for games that relay on the WiiConnect24 service for their online. IE. Rock Band 3 and Guitar Hero (not sure which one it is)
According to their press release, wiiconnect 24 will still operate except for the services mentioned (email, weather, news, check out the mii's, everyone votes). But who knows for how long.

I think it is a big mistake to alienate the customers. People have bought wii's, wii games, wiiware and wii accessories for a long time. To act like this is really thumbing their nose at the very customers that keep them in business. I don't plan on getting a WiiU. I had thought about it, but this pushes me over the edge...and not in their favor.

Thankfully there are alternatives for most of the services being taken offline (weather, news, and email could be done with the new web browser for example and perhaps the votes as there are such pages out on the net). The mii transfer, could be done with homebrew as well as we can export/import them easily with say savegamemanagerGX. Still as I said I doubt Nintendo would be hurting by leaving the channels on and would get benefits from the community using them. But obviously they don't see it that way.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I used the news channel quite alot, it's cool see the highlights without even open the channel, same with the weather channel, I don't care for the VoteMii and the likes channels. I hope they release the news/weather channel on Wii U.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the news channel quite alot, it's cool see the highlights without even open the channel, same with the weather channel, I don't care for the VoteMii and the likes channels. I hope they release the news/weather channel on Wii U.
I doubt it. More likely they will support the WiiU browser to do such activities rather than a custom channel that they have to support with a server.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online services have been going offline since the Sega Channel for the Genesis. Which, by the way, only lasted four years.
Heh earlier than that. Probably no one remembers Q-link online service? Granted it wasn't for a console (Commodore 64) but it was custom software running a custom server and eventually was shut down. Although it lasted until 1985 to 1995 when AOL bought and shut them down. The shutdown was a large blow to the Commodore community as they had a huge library of software. Not to mention a location with a lot of enthusiasts.

Granted this is not as large a situation for us Wii owners, but still sad to see. It would be interesting to see homebrew that replaced the weather and news channel, but I doubt anyone will bother. I think the development efforts would be better spent on the Wiibrowser. :)

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to their press release, wiiconnect 24 will still operate except for the services mentioned (email, weather, news, check out the mii's, everyone votes). But who knows for how long.

I think it is a big mistake to alienate the customers. People have bought wii's, wii games, wiiware and wii accessories for a long time. To act like this is really thumbing their nose at the very customers that keep them in business. I don't plan on getting a WiiU. I had thought about it, but this pushes me over the edge...and not in their favor.

Thankfully there are alternatives for most of the services being taken offline (weather, news, and email could be done with the new web browser for example and perhaps the votes as there are such pages out on the net). The mii transfer, could be done with homebrew as well as we can export/import them easily with say savegamemanagerGX. Still as I said I doubt Nintendo would be hurting by leaving the channels on and would get benefits from the community using them. But obviously they don't see it that way.
From the USA Press Release http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tiQImp7Oi97LiEyVqwDqL-eDnX6u9qjk
It says
*Wii message exchanges via Wii Message Board, Mii exchanges via Mii Channel, and exchanges of messages or data in some game titles will no longer be possible.
That means Rock Band 3 and other games won't work after that. RB3 already does not work on the WiiU vWii since by default the W24 is off.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the USA Press Release http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/tiQImp7Oi97LiEyVqwDqL-eDnX6u9qjk
It says

That means Rock Band 3 and other games won't work after that. RB3 already does not work on the WiiU vWii since by default the W24 is off.

I tend to disagree. Rockband for example works fine (music store etc) if Wiiconect 24 is off. I have never had Wiiconnect24 on when I have played RockBand. Also Goldeneye fires up in multiplayer mode without having wiiconnect 24 on. However Weather, News, Nintendo channel, Check out the Miis, Wii Speak Channel, and Everybody Votes channel require Wiiconnect 24 to be on for them to function. So again I suspect these and emails to consoles (or games that use the email/message feature in the message board) are all that is to be shut off at this point in time. Of course later on "all bets are off" as they say.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tend to disagree. Rockband for example works fine (music store etc) if Wiiconect 24 is off. I have never had Wiiconnect24 on when I have played RockBand. Also Goldeneye fires up in multiplayer mode without having wiiconnect 24 on. However Weather, News, Nintendo channel, Check out the Miis, Wii Speak Channel, and Everybody Votes channel require Wiiconnect 24 to be on for them to function. So again I suspect these and emails to consoles (or games that use the email/message feature in the message board) are all that is to be shut off at this point in time. Of course later on "all bets are off" as they say.
I'm not talking about the store, the Store will work since it goes to the Shop Channel stuffs. I'm talking about Rock Band 3 Multiplayer

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Never used em and would much rather see those go than game servers getting shut down. So will there be a system update to remove those channels or will they be sat there forever more?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Never used em and would much rather see those go than game servers getting shut down. So will there be a system update to remove those channels or will they be sat there forever more?
I was thinking about that, too, but at least with a hacked Wii you can delete the ones that you can't in data management (weather and new, I think)Not sure what all the "legit" people are gonna do, though

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
They will probably release a small update and remove the channels, cant see them leaving empty channel husks..

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Nintendo would even put the effort for a small System update. I think it will just error code out, or somehow it will make the error code say "The Wii Connect24 was shut down at blah blah"

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will it be possible to obtain friend code vouchers in Metroid Prime Trilogy after this?

Also, what are the chances of someone making a simulated WiiConnect 24 so people can still use those features?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1