Gaming Certain Wii Channels going out of service in June.

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to each their own I guess. We'll just have to deal with the channels until Nintendo does something if they do anything at all. If they do I hope they don't make some new kind of update to get rid of them and build in some last attempt effort at sticking it to us on the modded side of things. I think I can deal with two deactivated channels on my Wii to still be able to play SNES/GENESIS whenever or pop in a movie and watch it or clear some levels on RE: Operation PainTown. etc..

Motobug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's the last day before all of the services shut down...

Check your weather for the last time...

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Weird it says "We would like to inform you that a portion of the network services offered through the Wii console will be discontinued starting June 27, 2013." but I can still use it as of a few mins ago

Sascha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I suppose they'll shut down the services simultaneously worldwide and in Europe they'll shut down on June 28th. It's 10:40pm on 27th right now.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's down now. You can still check your old news in the News Channel and still check your voting data and such in Everyone Votes channel. Everything else tells you a termination error

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just in time. I finally uninstalled them all last night. The ones that you can get rid of in data management (Nintendo channel, Check Mii out, everybody votes) freed up a good amount of space. The weather and news channels, however, didn't. I didn't look at the exact numbers of how many blocks were free before hand but after un-installing the WAD's for them I didn't notice any difference in free space so hacking your Wii JUST for this isn't really worth it :P

I might be one of the few ones who actually used the everybody votes channel enough to miss it (but then again, I do work for a market research company) The Nintendo Channel was the next one up but my internet connection was just slow enough that I only occasionally had a day where I avoided a little stuttering in the video. Youtube channel was better AND still works.

WiiConnect24 R.I.P.

Motobug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, officially dead. Guess it's time to get the Any Title Deleter and delete the News and Weather Channels. Keeping the Nintendo Channel though, if only for nostalgia.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes its gone, I think they were a tad early but oh well. I will miss them. But thankfully there wasn't a lot of online channels/games that used the Wiiconnect24. And At least they gave a "shut down" message I was wondering if they were going to give out a connection error or a message. Much smarter to do the latter.

I did delete a couple of them, some of them I am going to keep for a while. And not going to bother with the weather and news channel. From all reports you only get one block back if you do delete them, not worth messing with lol.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Am I the only one that had ghosts of the weather and news channel come back on me?

I deleted them by un-installing the WAD and they seemed to be gone when I went and looked but last night when I turned my Wii on again, there were two white, blank channels with simple black text on them saying "Weather Channel" and "News Channel".

Maybe I'll try again using DOP-Mii or AnyTitle Deleter later today and if not I can always just move the stupid things to the last page of my system menu so I don't have to ever see them again but it just seemed weird to me that something like that would happen when there are systems like the Wii Mini that don't have them at all in the first place.

Reactions: kp_centi

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I haven't tried so I don't know. But I do know others have reported removing them only to see a 1 block difference in space. I would just slide them over two screens and out of sight out of mind. :) I doubt I will even bother with that lol.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one that had ghosts of the weather and news channel come back on me?

I deleted them by un-installing the WAD and they seemed to be gone when I went and looked but last night when I turned my Wii on again, there were two white, blank channels with simple black text on them saying "Weather Channel" and "News Channel"
These are placeholder channels that came with 2.0 around launch day. Until the news and weather channel were ready for release, these took their place on the menu.

You only removed your region-specific weather and news wads, and didn't uninstall the "A" region titles (HAGA and HAFA). Remove them and the blank channels with text will be gone.

Species8472

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hooked my Wii up to a computer with a video capture card in hopes of getting before and after footage. So I went through the channels messing around for a while, downloaded some Miis, watched some Nintendo Channel videos, and sent my self e-mails from the Wii. Then dinner was ready. After dinner I went back into the Nintendo Channel and downloaded the Sonic Colors demo. After the transfer was finished I closed my DS and went back to the video menu, where I was going to start capturing video. But instead of a list of videos, the message "This channel has been discontinued. Thank you for your participation" was shown.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The few things I used my Wii for in recent months were weather forecasts and the occasional Nintendo Channel visit. Now, odds are it'll sit there unused collecting dust. :(

I have a Wii U, but I have no games for it aside from Nintendoland, so its still in the box, sitting under a bench in the basement unused.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes earlier in the day I didn't have any problems. They pulled them a little early I think (the date given was 28th if I recall correctly, but I guess it was the 28th in tyoko). But ah well. At least you did get some footage.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The few things I used my Wii for in recent months were weather forecasts and the occasional Nintendo Channel visit. Now, odds are it'll sit there unused collecting dust. :(

I have a Wii U, but I have no games for it aside from Nintendoland, so its still in the box, sitting under a bench in the basement unused.
I'll take the Wii U off your hands if you don't want it :P LOL

But in all seriousness ...
You could always try putting your old Wii up on eBay or something. At least you'll get something out of it that way. ;)

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like i said earlier, the services had a good run on the Wii and it's now time to move on...

Anyway, there are other sources widely available to get your local & national news and weather from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...