Gaming Certain Wii Channels going out of service in June.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well some games did apparently require the use of the message board to friend etc. It was more common in the later games so you didn't have a unique friend code for each game (so I hear, haven't ran into one that used this system so far but then again I don't have many multiplayer Wii games at the moment). Anyway if true then that effectively hinders the multiplayer of said games. While this shutdown isn't earth shattering it is annoying and kind of premature considering that the Wii is still outselling the Wii U lol.

As for removing the channels, they are so small it really isn't worth it to remove them (someone here did and it freed up one or two blocks if I recall correctly). Just slide the the channels over two screens and you will likely never see them again. After all who has that many channels on the real nand? That brings up something I always thought was odd about the Wii. They gave you several pages for channels, yet with most games I have tried, after say four or five your wii memory is full lol. I never even had two screen fulls of channels due to the tiny Wii memory. Kind of ironic really.
Mario Kart Wii gave me the option to send friend requests to existing Wii friends, I guess that used the message board?
It wasn't required to add friends though, so no big deal.'

The Forecast and News channels are about 90 blocks each IIRC (probably the globe graphics taking up space). Enough to install another game :P

I'm sure if you filled up your NAND with only NES VC games it would take a few pages.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking away the Nintendo Channel is stupid. It's their best way via the console to promote products. Also, overall this is a dick move to force people to buy Wii U consoles. another nail in the coffin when it comes to what"s left of my love for Nintendo.

Because you cant get nintendo news from Youtube.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better delete those now, then, make it a clean break. I already deleted my Wii Shop Channel after transferring my VC games and restoring NAND.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Better delete those now, then, make it a clean break. I already deleted my Wii Shop Channel after transferring my VC games and restoring NAND.
You'll need the channel in case they ever release updates for existing channels. They just updated the Netflix channel for example.

Motobug

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need the channel in case they ever release updates for existing channels. They just updated the Netflix channel for example.

If you've restored the NAND after a Wii U transfer, then load up the Shop Channel, it'll delete all of the legit games you've gotten from the Shop Channel.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that the Mario Kart Channel which includes the time trials, tournaments and leaderboards and such uses W24. Shame to see that go away, but at least we still have WFC play :)

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL if you don't like it, easy to remove it and never install it again. I didn't use it much either, but obviously quite a few did or there wouldn't have been many votes on the various questions lol.

And yes I think after the servers shut down people will realize just how much the Wiiconnect24 was used in various games. More so with Nintendo tittles than 3rd party in general.

And honestly I don't understand why people want to delete channels that only take up a few blocks? If space is such a concern, use sneek with emmulated NAND on USB. *shurgs* but to each their own. At least one can still reinstall them fairly easily with NDS or DOP-Mii if needed later on. Personally I don't think it is worth the trouble to remove Weather, News, etc (let alone Wii Shop....that will need to be reinstalled later on I think lol)

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will WiiSpeak still work?
It dosen't mention it on the discontinued services.
Yes it still works. But I think the wiispeak channel will go down as it requires wiiconnec24 to work. Oddly enough it didn't ever say that, but I couldn't get it to work without wiiconnect24. Wiispeak should still work in programs that use it, but as I said I doubt the channel will.

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used dopmii to get rid of them but I don't know if there was a more effective way. I didn't notice any block changes. How have you all been getting rid of them? Is there any noticeable memory changes or does that just remove the physical appearance of those channels? I heard it won't free up any more space no matter what method you remove them with.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used dopmii to get rid of them but I don't know if there was a more effective way. I didn't notice any block changes. How have you all been getting rid of them? Is there any noticeable memory changes or does that just remove the physical appearance of those channels? I heard it won't free up any more space no matter what method you remove them with.

I heard it may free up one block (if that). Otherwise nope. I think the bulk of the channel is "built in" and therfore isn't like deleting other channels. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen, I suspect they are more like forwarder channels that link to other areas in the firmware/OS. Anyway as I have said before it really isn't worth the bother of deleting them. But hey if it floats one's boat to get rid of them, then by all means.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly enough I received a email on my Wii today about the shutdown. Not sure when they were originally sent out as I haven't turned on Wiiconnect24 for very long in a week or so. I was wondering if they were going to send one out, but it does surprise me they didn't two months ago with the other official announcements. I would have back then, and now.

They also sent out a email about the youtube channel (which has been available since January or so), which I kind of find funny that they did both at the same time. I am also surprised they haven't made a new/updated Nintendo channel that doesn't require wiiconnect24, I am sure it wouldn't be hard to do. *shrugs*

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Check Mii Out Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, the News Channel, the Weather Channel, and the Nintendo Channel are all going out of service on June 28th. The Wii Shop Channel and the Internet Channel will still be up, along with online play and things like Netflix. What are your thoughts on this? Did you use any of these, or did they just sit on your menu?

(I'm gonna miss the Nintendo Channel :( )
Now the question is, considering that many of these channels were pre-installed on all but the Wii Mini, will there be a way to uninstall them for those that don't have their Wii's modded or don't want to mod them? My girlfriend has been insistent on keeping hers unmodified in any way, but would like to at least be able to uninstall them to free up space when the time comes. Sad thing is, currently the Wii does not have any way to remove the affected channels that will be affected by this shutdown.

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dopmii didn't work to remove the actual channel anyway. Those two channels are white and now say "WII Weather Channel and WII Forecast Channel" but there's nothing there. If I click on them it just says please update to use these channels. I'm already running 4.3U though.

Why wouldn't your gf want her Wii modded? Emulation alone is worth it IMO. Also being able to run DVDs/Backups. She's cray-cray!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1