10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, we obviously run in different circles, as the insane mark up on DSiWare/3DSWare/WiiWare is something I hear groaned about almost daily.

To be clear, though, I don't think it's unethical to price their games at $50 -- not a question of fair or unfair in that sense -- but I just don't think the price is right for the product. It's obviously all relative and highly subjective, and like I said, it's a personal choice. Bejeweled, I don't feel is shovelware, but I get your meaning all the same. Whatever the market can bear, publishers will set their price.

The heart of what makes this so frustrating for me, though, is that publishers like Square Enix and Capcom are quick to blame a lack of support from fans and/or piracy as a key factor to a game's failure, yet their pricing is so often unrealistic. On DS, Square Enix routinely priced their games $5 and $10 above everyone else, and here in the States, they routinely undersold what they "hoped" the product would sell. You can't value a product solely on what you, the creator, think it's worth. You have to realistically interpret the market, not blame fans for what "they didn't do."

Sell RE: Rev at a fair market price, I will buy it on release day as I intended. Gouge me like you so often do, Capcom, and well, I'll wait for the sale price. It's really that simple. With a market this flooded with great content, I only have to wait for the ball to come to me. I've experienced it both ways, and it's nice to have choices.

I pretty much agree with all of this. As good as RE looks, 3DS games are only going to get bigger- I'm sure Nintendo have a license to use 8gb cards so to let Capcom charge over the odds for one half the size of a hypothetical future game (hopefully the Zelda one they're making) is inviting a return to the NES days where one game cost about half the price of the console. If the PS3 is anything to go by, £60 becomes £25 very quickly as people lose interest once something new is released- there are still a bunch of Wii games I promised myself at launch, got put off by the price and never revisited.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't want 3DS games to be expensive. I wanna be able to get new games without thinking "man, should I buy a console game or a 3DS game......hmmmm?". I hope this game doesn't open the flood gates for an overall price hike for all 3DS content :unsure:

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny how people are saying "OMG GAMING COMPANY BE RIPPING US OFF BY CHARGING MORE!" No. The gaming companies can charge whatever they want to you. You have to realize that they spent many years developing this game (which means lots of money spent) in which they were receiving no profit from it. They are hoping to regain some, if not all, of that money back by having the price be slightly higher, as most of the people that would have bought the game anyways won't mind the price being a little higher.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I find it funny how people are saying "OMG GAMING COMPANY BE RIPPING US OFF BY CHARGING MORE!" No. The gaming companies can charge whatever they want to you. You have to realize that they spent many years developing this game (which means lots of money spent) in which they were receiving no profit from it. They are hoping to regain some, if not all, of that money back by having the price be slightly higher, as most of the people that would have bought the game anyways won't mind the price being a little higher.
This.

Oh, and development for Revelations started way before Mercs, if I'm not wrong.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
You have to realize that they spent many years developing this game (which means lots of money spent) in which they were receiving no profit from it. They are hoping to regain some.

Oh, poor gaming companies...

Myself, I don't really care if they had to work hard for free for 5 years in an unheated basement to develop this game. It's their risk and they are supposed to know their business well.
I'm perfectly happy to pay 50$ for a game WHICH IS WORTH IT. I'll buy RE:Revelations if it's as good as it is shaping out to be, but not because I pity its developers.

In the end, the market will decide. For instance, for some parents 50$ could be a magic threshold meaning "NO", especially that this 50$ game is only going to be played on a toy 3.53" screen...

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Capcom, take my money!
This is one of these games that i pay the high price! (double price here -.-)

lestatbytes

leaving without a trace..
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
watched the trailer seems awesome - played RE in ps3, but mannnn i wanted to see zombie in 3D - " and cutscenes beautifully rendered in fear-inducing 3D"

and im gonna play it alone in the dark ~ lights off ~ uber headset,. omfg

these kind/s of work deserve money imho- im gonna get it - price is worth it,. tis my way of supporting/fuel the new game IDEAS tat gonna come out from their(capcom) brain soon for my 3DS -

Peace !!

suikoden 3ds still lingers in my head. damn konami :(

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Everyone here should consider themselves lucky if they are getting the game for $50. In Australia, I got Pilotwings for $50 from Target, and that was only because it was on sale. We're lucky to get games under $70, the average price for a single game is $79.95. And just imagine how much this game will cost when it arrives here...

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I do have to admit Americans have it stupidly easy. I'd love to only pay £31.11 for this game. :ha:
First world problems. (Or should I say American problems?)
L2hsB.gif

Reactions: 1 person

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
>Go to any game prices thread
>AMERICANS ARE WHINY BITCHES WAHHH

Stop whining about our currency and stop whining about how things are overpriced in relation to your currency.

Well, to be frank, you are whiny bitches. You pay next to nothing for games, yet have the audacity to whine about how much you have to pay. Considering it's your currency that's causing everyone so many problems lately and is largely the reason most companies in Japan are having to charge more for their products in the first place, you have nothing to whine about. Yet whining is all you do.

"Waaaaaaaaahh...!! We have to pay $50 for a video game! It's so unfair! We can buy games for $1, so why should we pay $50!? That's too expensive! Waaaaaaaahhh!!"

So stop making threads to whine about how horribly overpriced things are in America and we won't need to keep reminding you that you pay hardly anything compared to, I dunno, the rest of the freakin' world?

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be frank, you are whiny bitches. You pay next to nothing for games, yet have the audacity to whine about how much you have to pay. Considering it's your currency that's causing everyone so many problems lately and is largely the reason most companies in Japan are having to charge more for their products in the first place, you have nothing to whine about. Yet whining is all you do.

"Waaaaaaaaahh...!! We have to pay $50 for a video game! It's so unfair! We can buy games for $1, so why should we pay $50!? That's too expensive! Waaaaaaaahhh!!"

So stop making threads to whine about how horribly overpriced things are in America and we won't need to keep reminding you that you pay hardly anything compared to, I dunno, the rest of the freakin' world?

Not my problem that game companies price their shit higher than ours. I don't complain about game prices unless it's absurdly overpriced in comparison to a baseline. If most games here cost $60 and a new game came out for $100 without reason, I'd complain.

You just sound mad that we won the American Revolution. ;)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you'll both may have some points,(Tbh most of the comments sound like American hate)If our frag was Australia and made the exact same thread, would
you guys try to shove the currency in our faces?

I whether not be the person to take everything at any price shove in my face by companies.
Do really except everyone be "$100 for game? Well it their game, so it makes sense. $50 dlc? I'll
take those things right up. Forget about thinking ." No, it pretty much wrong trying to pin that on the Americans
like we the only ones thinking there issues with our prices.

Then it gets worst when some people of the same group talk down to people who buy used games.

Pretty much saying, sit there and take it.
And no one is really saying that stupid logic.

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
Yeah, I do have to admit Americans have it stupidly easy. I'd love to only pay £31.11 for this game. :ha:
Same here, I'd love to pay only €36 for a brand new video game.

Very true.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think before this gets out of hand, someone needs to do some research on the cost of living between the two countries, because quite frankly, comparing ONLY the prices is making it out to look like that both countries are equal in every other aspect.
For the record, the value of the Australian dollar is only a few cents higher the the US at the moment. (Which should mean Australia should get games slightly cheaper than the US, but it's quite the contrary for some unknown reason.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How Roms Try Helping? +1