Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Demo first impressions

gbatemp_first_imp_banner_resident_evil_4_remake_chainsaw_demo.jpg

I don’t think there’s a Resident Evil fan alive right now who hasn’t been anxiously watching the slow information drip Capcom has offered us on the upcoming Resident Evil 4 remake, while eagerly awaiting March 24th to finally get here. For those too excited to wait for the full release before getting a taste of what this reimagining of the 2005 classic has to offer, Capcom has us covered, with the recently released Chainsaw Demo, giving us our best look yet at what the remake has to offer to stand out from, and improve upon, the original! I spent a solid bit of time combing through the demo, and am here to share my first impressions on the remake to my favorite game of all time.

20230310152813_1.jpg

20230310153623_1.jpg 20230310153757_1.jpg 20230310151436_1.jpg

First things first, it’s clear from the very first frames of gameplay that this is slated to be a reimagining in the truest sense of the word; environments are familiar, but not exactly the same. General story beats are still consistent with what fans of the original Resident Evil 4 should expect, but with their own twist to allow the game, or what we’re seeing of it at this point, to fit more in-line with the more grounded (as best as an RE game can be) setting of the REmake-verse. Layouts of key buildings remain similar, but not entirely the same as a veteran of the original may remember. And for the assault on the village, previously safe zones are no longer an option, necessarily, requiring different strategies and continuously thinking on your feet to survive the onslaught of ganados ready to tear Leon limb from limb.

20230310153856_1.jpg 20230310154115_1.jpg 20230310154131_1.jpg

Gameplay wise, this was an absolute blast. The game continues the trend that this series has been on for a while, since 2005 funny enough, on being more focused on action in a creepy atmosphere with survival horror elements, rather than a true horrifying experience. And the gameplay shows that direction effortlessly, giving some of the most fluid combat I’ve seen in the franchise to date. Switching weapons, and accessing the attache case, has never been simpler, which in turn gives some incredible fluidity to combat, whether standing your ground (despite finally being able to move while shooting) to fight or staying quick on your feet to avoid certain death via an overwhelmed onslaught. While the in-combat quick time events when getting grappled or meleeing downed enemies aren't completely cut, they're handled in a much more cinematic way, effortlessly transitioning both from combat and back once completed. It's an incredibly satisfying progression from the original game, feeling like the natural evolution of gameplay while staying familiar to what I already knew and expected from the title. Even the breakable knife, which I was hesitant about, turned out to work well within the design, giving some more natural tension in the combat sessions and lending a bit more to the horror of the situations. In all, combat and gameplay seems to be on track to being a highlight of the full game.

20230310151331_1.jpg 20230310152402_2.jpg 20230310152622_1.jpg

The presentation, I found to be downright phenomenal. The redesign of what iconic setpieces we did see all looked great, really leaning fully into the dark and dingy aesthetic that's become all too familiar from the previous REmakes, as well as Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village, while staying true to the game I already know and love. Designs for all of the characters were great to see in action, too; with Leon and Dr. Salvador's new designs being particularly cool. Much like previous modern entries to the series, the cutscenes were all fluidly and seamlessly woven into the gameplay, creating a truly cinematic experience for the entirely of the demo… even if the issue of too many cutscenes is still present.

At the end of the day, a demo's purpose is to generate excitement, hype, and sales for the full game, and in this case? The Chainsaw Demo did its job for this reviewer. While there weren't necessarily any new reveals or big surprises, it was so satisfying to finally get a chance to play through a bit of this reimagining, and further amplified my excitement for the full release. If any Resident Evil fan hasn't already tried this short but powerful demo, I'd highly recommend doing so. It's only confirmed that this remake is going in the exact direction it should be.

20230310160155_1.jpg

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Does the demo contain any material not included on the main game?
I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it does, but that'll also be hard to prove one way or the other until the full game comes out. From what I could tell, it seems to be just the beginning of the game, up to and including the village assault.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leon's face looks real weird to me. He looks like melted butter or what, uh. Kinda looks like his face is just a bit too big for his head. Shrug
That's one of my biggest complaints about games made in RE engine. All their faces look so damn oily.

Last edited by Viri,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried on Linux and it works pretty well besides some stuttering and long load times at first startup. that being said i tried this on a portable HDD so anyone installing this on an internal solid state drive is going to have a much better experience
as for my opinion, it's fucking fantastic, the few 30 minutes i played. This feels less like a remake and more like a reimagining

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried on Linux and it works pretty well besides some stuttering and long load times at first startup. that being said i tried this on a portable HDD so anyone installing this on an internal solid state drive is going to have a much better experience
as for my opinion, it's fucking fantastic, the few 30 minutes i played. This feels less like a remake and more like a reimagining
I have it preordered. just bought a voucher for the switcher and got pikmin 4 and bayonetta origins. too many games. :D

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get ready for a long one boys, i completed a write up on the game

it's funny how it was 30 minutes long yet it was around 10 gigs
doesnt give me a lot of hope for the final product's size, but considering what i'd played i'd wipe my entire drive if it meant i could play it
The controls are majorly improved in this remake. That was kind of a given considering how dated RE4's controls were (though i still like them a lot) but the game is MASSIVELY much more fluid to control. You can strafe, you can use the knife with a simple mouse click rather than having to hold shift, the camera follows you when aiming, you can reload without needing to aim, running feels great, kicking enemies is about as good as it's ever been, animations are on point, its gud stuff capcom!!!

to compensate though, the enemy AI is supercharged and the game's much harder overall
like that ganado village segment was initially pretty easy on the original version of the game, so long as you kept running you wouldn't die
which is funny, considering how much more limited the controls were in that version
in this version, even with the strafing and movement they're a lot more aggressive
they'll grab you more often if you run past them, they're harder to kill, they're more jerky and unpredictable in their movements so headshotting them is harder, and they team up far more
this is also compounded by the fact that they're a bit more bullet spongey, which isn't that surprising since RE2 remake had pretty spongey enemies, most RE games do as that's kind of a mainstay of the franchise
but that small change to enemy health makes them far more of a bitch to deal with, and also in turn makes the gameplay alot more survival focused as you can't really go in guns blazing. It's likely a holdover from Remake 2 since the gameplay is not too dissimilar to that game

to be fair, this is before you get the shotgun, and the original RE4 did keep the survival horror thing up until you got the more powerful weapons, because at that point the game basically did turn into a third person shooter with horror elements
I actually hope Capcom doesn't take that route again because the changes they've made to the game to make it more fresh i've actually really fucking liked
Not to mention the first area where you enter the guys house and he tries to kill you, that's pretty similar overall
except that there's an additional segment where after you kill the dude, he drops a key
you use it to unlock the door to the basement, where you see a dead officer and an intercom
you're then instructed to leave ASAP, but the guy you just killed now has his corpse reanimated thanks to the parasite inside him which made him violent to begin with.
oh, and killing him is a fool's errand, he's got way more health and can kill you in 2 grabs
So yeah the parasites are introduced right at the start rather than like 1 or 2 hours in
probably for the sake of the demo. It does get rid of a bit of the mystery of "why are these guys such crazy assholes" but it also makes the gameplay a bit more intense in turn and makes enemy encounters a bit more fearful, though that's also because of all of the compounded gameplay changes from the remake overhauling the controls

Thinking about it more though, I wonder if they really increased the health or it's just that the enemies flinch less when you shoot them so you can't just keep shooting them in critical parts to get away. Either way i recall that exact segment feeling a LOT easier in the original game.

I genuinely really like many of the changes made here and I can tell this is going to be more of a 'reimagning' rather than a remake. All the iconic stuff stays faithful like the village scene where you get swarmed by ganados but all of the smaller stuff gets a bit more of a unique, survival horror feel to it. If they keep this tone up throughout the entire game I feel like this could be one of the all time great remakes up there with Metroid Zero Mission, AM2R, CTR Nitro Fueled and OFC the RE remakes (excluding 3)

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One thing I thought was interesting about the demo is that it seems to have a stealth mechanic. When I got to the village assault, I crouched and started creeping around the perimeter to pick up supplies. There was a ganado with her back to me, and I was able to creep up and do a special takedown to kill her without alerting the rest. I can't imagine where else in the game that could come in to play, but I wonder if stealth will be an option throughout.
I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it does, but that'll also be hard to prove one way or the other until the full game comes out. From what I could tell, it seems to be just the beginning of the game, up to and including the village assault.
It's interesting too that it seems to cut out most of the opening cutscene. I wonder if that was to make the demo more streamlined or if there's some change that early on that's being hidden for now.

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
One thing I thought was interesting about the demo is that it seems to have a stealth mechanic. When I got to the village assault, I crouched and started creeping around the perimeter to pick up supplies. There was a ganado with her back to me, and I was able to creep up and do a special takedown to kill her without alerting the rest. I can't imagine where else in the game that could come in to play, but I wonder if stealth will be an option throughout.

It's interesting too that it seems to cut out most of the opening cutscene. I wonder if that was to make the demo more streamlined or if there's some change that early on that's being hidden for now.

It would be cool if Ashley gets a knife during her mission, so that those stealth bits mean more. I did notice that was included, but thought little of it since there's basically no use for it in the village beyond getting some resources ahead of time. Nothing moves forward truly until you're caught after all

Reactions: relauby
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's one of my biggest complaints about games made in RE engine. All their faces in look so damn oily.
Oh, yeah, I know about the faces looking a bit oily, but I would say that the chars from the previous games (speaking RE engine, ofc) still looked a bit better than Leon here, uh. RE2 Leon seemed fine, here he just looks... off, uh.

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Does the demo contain any material not included on the main game?
Yes, if you can call this 'exclusive' material. It has a secret ultra hard mode called 'Mad Chainsaw Mode' which can come up only randomly after you finish the demo one time. Don't know if it can trigger before you completed it once because I didn't see anywhere mentioning that. This mode is exclusive to the demo and only the demo. It won't come with the full release of the game.

Reactions: noctis90210

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you can call this 'exclusive' material. It has a secret ultra hard mode called 'Mad Chainsaw Mode' which can come up only randomly after you finish the demo one time. Don't know if it can trigger before you completed it once because I didn't see anywhere mentioning that. This mode is exclusive to the demo and only the demo. It won't come with the full release of the game.
it's basically a mode that makes the game way harder and also lets you start off on a TMP- which BTW, just shows the amazing fucking gunplay this game has. The pistol felt good enough but the TMP was fucking awesome to handle. the more i played that demo the more i wanted to play the full thing, it was great

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
it's basically a mode that makes the game way harder and also lets you start off on a TMP- which BTW, just shows the amazing fucking gunplay this game has. The pistol felt good enough but the TMP was fucking awesome to handle. the more i played that demo the more i wanted to play the full thing, it was great
Yeah. Same here. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello