Capcom bringing three Resident Evil titles to the Nintendo Switch

IMG_1969.JPG

Capcom USA has announced that they'll be bringing some games from their Resident Evil series to the Nintendo Switch. Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil 4 will be available on the system sometime next year. No further details were given at this time, but Capcom's Twitter says more information will be given soon.

:arrow: Source

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As a Switch owner the fact that I can play AAA titles on a handheld still blows my mind. IMO it's the best current gen console.

Glad to see capcom is jumping aboard en masse.

Now Dead Rising ports would be nice.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I swear it's the last time I post this but

And i say milion times, ports are ok, but i only see ports and rarely anything new. ports are anounced like major game...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ports are not bad, but The thing is... i ALREADY PLAYED THOSE GAMES! i always want new games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And i say milion times, ports are ok, but i only see ports and rarely anything new. ports are anounced like major game...

Ports are not bad, but The thing is... i ALREADY PLAYED THOSE GAMES! i always want new games.

Then why you got a switch in the first place??? Most famous developers nowdays want to work with system that has plenty of resources, the switch is not the case and it was not an unknown fact that the switch was just a glorified Nvidia Shield Tv.

Is not a bad system and it has a decent library, but if you want cutting edge graphichs then go with a PC, "exclusives" then go with PS4, backward compatibility and Pc sharing go with Xbox1

Wesker

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Patience, if enough people buy the RE games, capcom will find a way to port the RE Engine. Even when it is a grafically slided version. In the times when RE 4 came out, also know one thought it will run on the PS 2, judging how it looked on the GC, and I have to say, the PS 2 did pretty well, and the game also wasn't ugly on PS 2 or something.

Last edited by Wesker,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Patience, if enough people buy the RE games, capcom will find a way to port the RE Engine. Even when it is a grafically slided version. In the times when RE 4 came out, also know one thought it will run on the PS 2, judging how it looked on the GC, and I have to say, the PS 2 did pretty well, and the game also wasn't ugly on PS 2 or something.
At the very least, the graphical downgrade wouldn't be as bad as it was between Wii -> 360/PS3 when people started to talk about RE5 on the Wii.
RE5 and RE6 should look exactly the same as they did on 360/PS3, or even better.
RE2 is another beast on its own, given how it is being made exclusively for last-gen console, but it should in no way be impossible to port to the Switch.

Reactions: Wesker

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that sucks, we get 2 good ones, and a shitty one. I want the Resident Evil 2 remake.
Lets get this out of the way, RE0 is in no way a bad game, in fact, it is easily one of the best RE games out there. Not as good as REmake or RE4, but it is a rich and rewarding, and absolutely stunning game. If you aren't referring to RE0, ignore, but I am going to rant anyway.

RE0 wasn't meant to release after REmake. In fat, REmake wasn't even on the table when RE0 was in development for the N64. Sadly, when RE0 made the jump to gamecube, REmake git ushered out, and when RE0 released shortly after, it felt TOO much the same, and too derivative of REmake. When in actuality, REmake is derivative of RE0.

The one thing that really stops RE0 from being a truly amazing title is that the inventory system was better in theory than it was in practice. Rebecca ends up being a bit of a pack mule, and managing items became a bit of a chore. I guarantee if they had added 2 additional slots to each character, we would be singing a different tune.

Point is, on its own merits, RE0 is creepy, beautiful, and fantastic in so many ways. I doubt people even really consider WHY they don't like it. And the best reason I hear is that, frankly, it just isn't REmake.

All 3 of these titles are going to be absolutely amazing on Switch.

No, for those who are wondering, all 3 HD remasters are going to be based on the PS4 versions, and they will run at the exact same specs on Switch as they do on ps4. Same framerate, same resolution, same everything. Right down to the most minute detail. How do I know this? Elementary. lLook at Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 on Switch.

Resident Evil Revelations runs on Switch at:
1080p/6-fps for docked mode 720p/60fps in Handheld.
Resident Evil Revelations runs on PS4 at 1080p/60fps

not a single particle or lighting effect was lowered or compromised for Revelations on Switch, and it runs just as smootly as its PS4 counterpart. It is a stunning game.

Revelations 2 runs on Switch at:
1080p/45fps for docked mode 720p/50+fps in handheld mode
Revelations 2 ( when it launched) ran on PS4 at
1080p/45fps, after patch it runs at 1080p/60fps.

Revelations 2 is one of the very last games to run on Capcom's MT framework, and very much is the most taxing game using this engine.

REmake, RE0, and RE4 UHD all use MT Framework, and sre about half as taxing on a system as Revelations 2. And about one thirs less taxing as revelations 1. These games are stunning remasters, with great added lighting, texture, particle effects and so on, but they are NOT really power hungry games. The Switch could probably run these 3 games easily on the 3DS ( sadly at a lower resolution) so expect them to look exactly the same on Switch as they do on PS4.

All newer versions of RE4 HD use the gamecube original as the base, the extra assets and missions from the PS2 version were effectively ported back over to the gamecube, and them dumped into the last gen MT Framework.

Want to be even more impressed? Due to releasing later than the console versions of Revelations 1 and 2, Capcom decided they would add content to the Switch versions of the titles. they put in 8 bit mini-games to help mitigate earning BP for Raid mode, they included all console DLC, as well as all microtransaction offerings for no extra cost, and included them in the base game. If that wasn't enough they applied Gyro aiming to each title, giving us RE4 Wii style controls.

These were/are the definitive versions of Revelations 1 and 2, and the extra content made me quite happy they were late to the party. it is VERY likely we will be seeing similar additions to these 3 ports. Extra costumes, mini-games, gyro controls, amiibo support and so on. These will easily be the most content complete versions of these games, which is a fair trade for getting them as late ports.

Speaking of gyro
What's the point? Re4 is unplayable once you had wii controls. Gyro doesn't come close
I don't know how many games you have played with gyro controls on Switch, but not only does it come close, but it surpasses the Wii IR controls in many many ways. The gyro controls in Revelations 1 are insanely responsive, and unlike RE4 on Wii, I didn't have to fight to pay attention to where my controller was aimed.

Of course the best comparison I have to make is Revelations 1 ( Revelations 2 had some iffy motion controls..not sure why) vs RE4 on Wii. So it will be interesting to compare RE4 to RE4 directly when it launches on Switch.

All that being said, RE4 was not meant to be played with IR/Motion controls, and as such the game becomes far too easy when using them (same goes for Revelations) so I personally prefer the OG gamecube controller...this is how RE4 is meant to be played.

And as it jist so happens, the Switch is compatible with the classic Gamecube controller, and there are also brand new GCN controllers being released for Switch to coincide with Smash Ultimate. So I am set for Experiencing RE4 on Switch, exactly as it was originally was intended to be played.

Holy crap that was a wall of text. Can you tell I am a RE fan?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
your idea of insanely rsponsive is hammering the y button over and over to recenter gyro cause it inevitably drifts god knows where?

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your idea of insanely responsive is hammering the y button over and over to recenter gyro cause it inevitably drifts god knows where?
I noticed this with Revelations 2, but not Revelations 1. Revelations 1 was almost perfect, while 2 was admittedly rather wonky. I think this is because Revelations 1 was originally designed with gyro aiming for the 3DS, so it worked great when gyro was put back in for the Switch version. Revelations 2 was not designed with gyro in mind, so its implementation ended up a bit sloppy.

I suspect that RE4, having code designed around Wii pointer controls in the game, will make it adapt beautifully to gyro aiming.

And it is worth noting that hitting the + button to recenter the pointer takes a fraction of a second, while on the Wii, when you accidentally go off the IR sensor, it takes a second or two to get it working right again. They both have their failings that can wind up getting you killed in the heat of action.

As I mentioned before though...I'll be playing with a gamecube controller. Heck I still have my RE4 chainsaw controller too!

P

pasc

Weirdly, switch still have not enough ports
We're still missing out on Capcom cramping a MegamanBattle Network on there..

(Talking port, not emulation)

On RE: oh.. well... Never too impressed by it. RE1 on DS, no thx. RE4 seemed good-ish, but I don't like the IP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter