Hacking Can't believe Nintendo did this! Don't send in a repair with Homebrew installed!

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove the serial# from the system and have a friend try to send in the console for repair. Nintendo, thinking it's a different console, should repair it since it cant boot up. Just a shot in the dark.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Remove the serial# from the system and have a friend try to send in the console for repair. Nintendo, thinking it's a different console, should repair it since it cant boot up. Just a shot in the dark.

They may be stupid, but they're not that stupid. If memory serves, most consoles have the serial stored either somewhere inside the case, or in the internal memory, just in case the original serial is lost.

Reactions: pelago and Costello

Heatran5400

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A question for thought: Why did Nintendo go into vWii when the Gamepad was the one broken? THe Gamepad only works when using in Wii U mode. Are they required to check all software on board of the system before beginning to repair?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A question for thought: Why did Nintendo go into vWii when the Gamepad was the one broken? THe Gamepad only works when using in Wii U mode. Are they required to check all software on board of the system before beginning to repair?

They need to examine every nook and cranny of the device to find out what's wrong with it. You won't do a good job repairing something if you only examine 88% of the device.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Other people had problems with the gamepad only, and Nintendo didn't ask for the whole system, why would Nintendo ask for the system in the OP case? It doesn't make sense.

Reactions: NEP

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hacking a console voids its warranty.

I guess they want to check if unauthorized code has been run on it, thus voiding the warranty of the console.

It makes sense.

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
when my gamepad died all nintendo asked for was just the gamepad and nothing more. on the plus side i sent it on on a Friday and got it back on Tuesday

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Other people had problems with the gamepad only, and Nintendo didn't ask for the whole system, why would Nintendo ask for the system in the OP case? It doesn't make sense.

How many people work for Nintendo customer service? And what percentage of those do you think know all the rules inside out? It seems from the responses here, the general case is that Nntendo ask for just the game pad, but it's entirely possible that one guy on the end of the phone got it wrong and asked for the whole system (or even one guy got it right, and the rest of the employees don't know the correct procedure - that shit happens in call centres).

I think it's cool how Nintendo actually says, "Homebrew" Channel. I would have expected something like, "Malicious Software".

Maybe they did at first and got tired of the volumes of calls it prompted from people asking "what malicious software?"

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
How many people work for Nintendo customer service? And what percentage of those do you think know all the rules inside out? It seems from the responses here, the general case is that Nntendo ask for just the game pad, but it's entirely possible that one guy on the end of the phone got it wrong and asked for the whole system (or even one guy got it right, and the rest of the employees don't know the correct procedure - that shit happens in call centres).
In my experience Nintendo call center employers have little to no room for custom answers (when I have a problem I prefer go to Nintendo tech forums, mailing Nintendo is like speaking a robot) the most time their answers are the same templates for similar problems, if you notice the mail they sent to OP is a template too. They barely work outside the precedures which is pretty much "problem A" -> "do B"

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
In my experience Nintendo call center employers have little to no room for custom answers (when I have a problem I prefer go to Nintendo tech forums, mailing Nintendo is like speaking a robot) the most time their answers are the same templates for similar problems, if you notice the mail they sent to OP is a template too. They barely work outside the precedures which is pretty much "problem A" -> "do B"

Ok guess there's zero chance that somebody gave out the wrong information... :blink:

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We can speculate the whole day. It will change nothing to the situation.
If your gamepad isn't working, this doesn't mean that the problem is in your gamepad (most likely but it can be a console problem as well).
How many people have 2 gamepads or 2 consoles to figure out where the problem is exactly?
So, in my opinion, it makes sense that they ask for the whole system.
Callcenters usually are a disaster, but most of the time if you manage to avoid that they can give you a pre chewed answer, you finally end up with someone who knows what he's doing. Asking the operator his name sometimes helps to wake him up a bit as well.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hacking a console voids its warranty.

I guess they want to check if unauthorized code has been run on it, thus voiding the warranty of the console.

It makes sense.
Except that the Wii U of the OP was out of warranty by one month to begin with. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo, after granting him a free repair service anyway, to examine the Wii U for things that would void the already void warranty.

Reactions: pelago

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Except that the Wii U of the OP was out of warranty by one month to begin with. It doesn't make sense for Nintendo, after granting him a free repair service anyway, to examine the Wii U for things that would void the already void warranty.

Thus, his console was treated as if it were under warranty.

But as he had hacked it, they would not repair it.

It is as simple as that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It works in vWii.
But I guess they did that to make sure it wasn't softmodded or maybe to see if the gamepad would work in vWii when it didn't work in WiiU mode.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thus, his console was treated as if it were under warranty.

But as he had hacked it, they would not repair it.

It is as simple as that.
No it's not. You are talking like Nintendo is intentionally inspecting consoles to look out for reasons not to repair it because they prefer to not repair a console. Which in this case doesn't make sense since they could have just refrained from offering him to fix his console for free.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No it's not. You are talking like Nintendo is intentionally inspecting consoles to look out for reasons not to repair it because they prefer to not repair a console. Which in this case doesn't make sense since they could have just refrained from offering him to fix his console for free.
It is SOP to inspect console and look for homebrews. Not just Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft do it too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@